Announcing Duel 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melle View Post
    that's a fairly huge change. i'm curious what feedback prompted it? is rest otherwise exactly the same, e.g. in terms of benefit to fatigue?
    It was prompted by the realization that there was no risk or timing necessary for using the rest skill as it were. Increasingly of late I've observed either people using macros, or even more effectively, typing 'rest', dropping down to the next line using shift+enter (or ctrl+enter depending on browser client), and typing guard on the next line, entering them both at once. It reached a point where, for most players, hitting them in rest became a literally impossible feat even if you were anticipating it and watching closely for the moment.

Through the little testing I've done, the new rest delay is still relatively hard to catch but not impossible. The rest delay is half the duration of the attacking delay from a normal attack, 1 second, minus any latency you have, leaving a split second to actually catch the rest. It's enough time that the anticipating fighter can catch it if he has his next attack lined up waiting for it, but not if he hesitates to react, or is unable to attack because he is recovering from a previous one, adding some risk and strategy to when we rest that was always meant to be there.

The rest mechanic is otherwise unchanged, it still recovers the same amount of fatigue and is still the most vulnerable stance to be hit in.
    StoryHost Kurzon
    Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

i honestly had no idea about that shift-enter exploit. if people were actually using that then, yeah, this was definitely a good choice.

either way, i've tried it out now and it isn't really that noticeable a difference. i think i overestimate how long a second is.

Comment

You cut and hit Caladan with a perfect counterattack!
        Duel 2.0: You have defeated Caladan in combat!
        Duel 2.0: The duel has concluded!
        Lieutenant Adahn: 45 tempo points.
        Caladan: 27 tempo points.
        You have gained 2 combat experience!
        You have gained 1 combat experience!

....say what?

Comment

Originally posted by Aptaliesin View Post
          You cut and hit Caladan with a perfect counterattack!
          Duel 2.0: You have defeated Caladan in combat!
          Duel 2.0: The duel has concluded!
          Lieutenant Adahn: 45 tempo points.
          Caladan: 27 tempo points.
          You have gained 2 combat experience!
          You have gained 1 combat experience!

....say what?
          Just a guess, but likely you gained exp on heavy AND medium armor together. Do you have something from each equipped?

Assuming this is armor EXP. Check your @stats and see if your percentage went down a bit
          Royal Chief of Medicine
          Courtier of Her Majesty's Royal Court
          Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

Combat experience (or CombatXP as the system is officially called) is an unreleased system intended to eventually replace the IC martial guidelines as the game's means of pacing skill advancement in dueling skills. It is still in the early testing phases and quite incomplete as of yet.
            StoryHost Kurzon
            Castle Marrach Staff

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

I only have medium. But the combat experience thing itself, is new. There's something else new too, keeping track of that xp.
              Super curious.

Comment

Updates 2017/03/31:

In exchanges where both the attacker and defender are using practice weapons only, if armor is struck, Duel 2.0 will assume the match to be a practice match and conclude the duel without the need to destroy the armour (which is impossible with a rebate) before ending the duel. This means you no longer have to @withdraw to end a practice match while wearing armour, consequently it addresses an issue where combat xp could not be earned when fighting someone in armour due to @withdrawing.

StoryHost Kurzon
                Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Hi all,

This morning I've made a few tweaks to the Weapon Traits Library for Castle Marrach. This is the system used by both MCombat and the regular Dueling code that determines how a weapon behaves based on its properties (ie: strongcut, weakguard, etc).

The changes are balancing tweaks made to address a long standing issue of certain weapons that can be wielded in either one or two hands (chiefly the longsword and longspear) consistently being either too strong or too weak depending on which direction they're tweaked.

The shortlist of changes is as follows:
                  • The trait strongattack has been added to the library, and adds +1 skill modifier to all attack types be they cut, thrust or feint. This effect will stack with strongcut or strongthrust for a total of +2 if both effects are present. This trait was given to the two handed sword and the two handed bludgeon, but not the two handed spear.
                  • The trait weakattack has been added to the library, and adds a -1 skill modifier to all attack types. This similarly stacks with weakcut and weakthrust. This is given to polearm weapons only when wielding them in one hand.
                  • Shields no longer reduce the fatigue damage you take on a successful hit roll, and instead add a constant +2 modifier to defense rolls in any stance (making it twice as effective as the "long" weapon stat which adds +1 defense in any stance).
                  • The heavy stat on two handed bludgeons now adds +1 to all attack rolls, this stacks with strongcut and strongattack.
                  • Strongcut was added to one handed bludgeons.

The way this balances out in the end is that all weapon sets end up with a final modifier of +2 when combining all their bonuses and penalties to both offense and defense, and thus should be completely balanced, though suited to different skill sets and styles. This is what the final result looks like below:

Sword, One Handed + Shield
                  shield, +2 defense
                  Values: +0 attack, +2 defense (+2 total)

Spear, One Handed + Shield
                  weakattack, -1 attack
                  long, +1 defense
                  shield, +2 defense
                  Values: -1 attack, +3 defense (+2 total)

Bludgeon, One Handed + Shield
                  strongcut, +1 attack
                  weakguard, -1 defense
                  shield, +2 defense
                  Values: +1 attack, +1 defense (+2 total)

Sword, Two Handed
                  strongattack, +1 attack
                  long, +1 defense

Spear, Two Handed
                  strongthrust, +1 attack
                  long, +1 defense

Bludgeon, Two Handed
                  strongcut +1 attack
                  strongattack +1 attack
                  heavy +1 attack
                  weakguard -1 defense
                  Values: +3 attack, -1 defense (+2 total)

Note that this library does not affect weapon damage for MCombat, it only affects the hit modifiers for these weapons (ergo your chance to deal any fatigue damage upon attack, in either duel 2.0 or MCombat).
                  Last edited by Kurzon; 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM.
                  StoryHost Kurzon
                  Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

As a long time devotee of dueling in this game and recently coming back to the fold to test the waters, I want to give you my profoundest thanks for such an awesome overhaul. I certainly have not fully grasped all the nuances of the new system, but this is such a massive upgrade its really awesome and I can't cheer you and the other staffers enough for doing it. So thank you!
                    ~ As the wind blows, so the reed bends ~

Comment

Update 2018/03/13:

Fixed a bug where longsword/shield combo was receiving massive stat bonuses that were unintended while not applying any penalties for using the longsword in one hand. If you've been using longsword/shield in the last month or so you've probably creamed everyone, and this is why. It should function normally/as-intended now.

StoryHost Kurzon
                      Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
                        Bludgeon, One Handed + Shield
                        strongcut, +1 attack
                        weakguard, -1 defense
                        shield, +2 defense
                        Values: +0 attack, +2 defense (+2 total)
                        Just making sure if the math here is correct or if it should be +1 attack, +1 defense or if the shield trumps the bludgeon's values.

Also, on page 1, rapiers are listed as having the long trait which I think is no longer the case in order to balance out the feint abilities? Asking for a Duelist friend.

If those are just teeny mistakes in the list, this message can be deleted once they're fixed.

Comment

No, you're correct, it should be "+1 attack / +1 defense" not "+0 attack / +2 defense", I tallied it up wrong when throwing the post together. I've fixed it now.

I don't remember off hand what decision was made regarding the rapier, I came to something I felt was most balanced at that time while still trying to reflect its real world weapon handling characteristics, but it may need some review given the number of combat changes since Duel 2.0 release. Generally speaking rapier is the strongest weapon in terms of its ability to hit someone, where it falls short is its inability to damage armour. It's intended to be a superb dueling weapon for civilized unarmoured duels but lacking on the battlefield, so to speak.
                          StoryHost Kurzon
                          Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Good morning everyone,

A number of updates have been implemented for duel 2.0 this morning, based on player feedback and some of my own observations and testing.

1. The rapier has been given the long trait, granting it a defensive bonus to be more comparable to the longsword.
                            2. A new special attack has been added, the offhand strike. This is activated with the verb "swat". The offhand strike can only be used when using a single one handed weapon with an empty offhand, or when dual wielding with a sidearm in the offhand. This is a "free attack" that can be used from any stance, even while in the middle of attacking, and does not trigger an attacking or recovery phase itself. This attack rolls based on the attacker's melee skill. This is to balance out the style of single one-handed swords against the currently much-dominant two-handers and weapon/shield styles, which have had a significant advantage because most passive bonuses come from having a two-hander or shield.
                            3. A new command has been added, @emits. Using this command toggles on and off the presence of 3rd person emits in duel 2.0. When 3rd person emits are toggled off, you will not see the emits for any duel 2.0 actions if you are not in combat, and when in combat, you will only see the actions of your current dueling @target. This has dual purpose; you can use it to lessen spam during group or simultaneous duels, or use it to remove combat emits when not dueling yourself, so you can engage in regular RP in rooms where duels are occurring. I encourage people to use this to A. Hold multiple duels at the same time to increase efficiency at public practices and B. Engage in conversation and roleplay at practices instead of feeling obligated to sit silent and watch when on the bench.

Thanks and happy gaming.
                            StoryHost Kurzon
                            Castle Marrach Staff

Comment

Working...
                            X