Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Announcing Duel 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurzon
    started a topic Announcing Duel 2.0

Announcing Duel 2.0

Foreword

So here it is, a culmination of just about every plausible player request we've had for updates to the dueling code within the last decade. Duel multiple player opponents simultaneously, wear functional armour, weapon classes with different weapons that behave differently in combat, dual wield two weapons at once or a weapon with a shield, or wield no weapon at all and rely on just your fists.

Duel 2.0 isn't a revision of the original CM dueling script, it's an entirely new script written from the ground up, starting with nothing but a blank text file. Because of how the original dueling script was written, many of the features added in Duel 2.0 simply weren't possible via hijacking the main code and tacking extra scripts on the side; the amount of code that would've had to have been changed to add the multiple-opponent feature alone would have meant re-writing most of the base script, and you could forget unarmed combat altogether.

The goal of Duel 2.0 is to mimic as closely as possible the original dueling code we've all come to know and love (or hate) while structuring it in such a way that we can add new features. Many veteran CMers have grown accustomed to the "tempo method" employed by the original duel code, and Duel 2.0 maintains that rigidly. The core theme of the original duelling script remains; combatants cycle through the attacking, recover and guard stances as they attack, attempting as often as possible not to get struck while attacking (countered) while instead doing precisely that to their opponents. To achieve this, the attacks thrust and cut are used, one focused on speed and the other on power. While maintaining this common theme, a number of new commands have been added and others changed, still using the coded dueling skills that player characters have levelled up over the years, but changing how those skills function to make combat more immersive and strategic.

It's worth noting that Duel 2.0 runs slightly faster than the original code; though the delays were set the same (2 seconds in "attacking" after an attack, an additional 1 second in "recover" if it was a cut or feint) the script as a whole runs slightly faster - about 0.2 to 0.4 seconds in most testing samples. The "You are too busy" error that players with slower connections often complain about shouldn't occur anymore - however if you attempt to attack while still recovering from your previous attack, you'll still get a message saying your attacks are on cooldown. If you receive such a message, it's not lag, it's simply that you're not supposed to attack yet.

The original duel code does still exist in its entirety, and can be used if desired, but none of the listed changes in this thread are applied to it.

So without further ado...

Index of changes
    • Multi-Opponent functionality: Characters may now duel multiple opponents simultaneously. There is no limit to the number of opponents that can enter a single duel, or how many teams engage one another.
    • Melee Functionality: Characters may now fight using "unarmed" attacks while roll off the melee skill, this can be done while wielding a weapon or relying entirely on one's fists (and feet).
    • Functional Armour Script: Wearing armour lowers your maximum fatigue for fighting, but armour can absorb attacks, causing a successful strike against your character not to wound them or end the duel.
    • Weapon Behaviour Script: Weapons are now broken into categories, different categories of weapon behave differently in combat (rapiers receive penalty to cut, stilettos cannot cut, whips cannot parry, maces penetrate armour, etc).
    • Special Attack Commands: Functioning on "cooldowns" similar to the rest skill, special attacks can be used to give a fighter an edge while dueling. Each "weapon category" in the weapon behaviour script has its own special attack which is available to a fighter only while wielding that weapon type. These attacks are special variants of the existing cut/thrust/feint attacks.
    • Dual Wield Script: Allows fighters to hold two one-handed weapons, or a one-handed weapon with a shield.
    • Revised wound functionality: makes it more likely to strike body parts that would realistically get struck most often in real swordplay.
    • Feint revised: The damage formula of the feint attack has been entirely reworked. Longer delays in between feints makes each feint hit harder.
    • Rest revised: Damage formula for rest skill has been reworked. Getting hit while resting is a much bigger deal now.
    • Dodge revised: The dodge skill's usage has been reworked. Dodge is now primarily used while fighting unarmed or wielding
    • Advance/Retire: Now used to approach distant targets who cannot be attacked when out of range (primarily for ranged combat)
    • Change to Salute: Salute is now just an emit. It's not a stance and you can't get struck in it (any time I've ever seen someone hit in salute in 13 years it was an OOC accident, so might as well put this one to rest).

• Kurzon
    replied
    Good morning everyone,

A number of updates have been implemented for duel 2.0 this morning, based on player feedback and some of my own observations and testing.

1. The rapier has been given the long trait, granting it a defensive bonus to be more comparable to the longsword.
    2. A new special attack has been added, the offhand strike. This is activated with the verb "swat". The offhand strike can only be used when using a single one handed weapon with an empty offhand, or when dual wielding with a sidearm in the offhand. This is a "free attack" that can be used from any stance, even while in the middle of attacking, and does not trigger an attacking or recovery phase itself. This attack rolls based on the attacker's melee skill. This is to balance out the style of single one-handed swords against the currently much-dominant two-handers and weapon/shield styles, which have had a significant advantage because most passive bonuses come from having a two-hander or shield.
    3. A new command has been added, @emits. Using this command toggles on and off the presence of 3rd person emits in duel 2.0. When 3rd person emits are toggled off, you will not see the emits for any duel 2.0 actions if you are not in combat, and when in combat, you will only see the actions of your current dueling @target. This has dual purpose; you can use it to lessen spam during group or simultaneous duels, or use it to remove combat emits when not dueling yourself, so you can engage in regular RP in rooms where duels are occurring. I encourage people to use this to A. Hold multiple duels at the same time to increase efficiency at public practices and B. Engage in conversation and roleplay at practices instead of feeling obligated to sit silent and watch when on the bench.

Thanks and happy gaming.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    No, you're correct, it should be "+1 attack / +1 defense" not "+0 attack / +2 defense", I tallied it up wrong when throwing the post together. I've fixed it now.

I don't remember off hand what decision was made regarding the rapier, I came to something I felt was most balanced at that time while still trying to reflect its real world weapon handling characteristics, but it may need some review given the number of combat changes since Duel 2.0 release. Generally speaking rapier is the strongest weapon in terms of its ability to hit someone, where it falls short is its inability to damage armour. It's intended to be a superb dueling weapon for civilized unarmoured duels but lacking on the battlefield, so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• Brohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Kurzon View Post
    Bludgeon, One Handed + Shield
    strongcut, +1 attack
    weakguard, -1 defense
    shield, +2 defense
    Values: +0 attack, +2 defense (+2 total)
    Just making sure if the math here is correct or if it should be +1 attack, +1 defense or if the shield trumps the bludgeon's values.

Also, on page 1, rapiers are listed as having the long trait which I think is no longer the case in order to balance out the feint abilities? Asking for a Duelist friend.

If those are just teeny mistakes in the list, this message can be deleted once they're fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Update 2018/03/13:

Fixed a bug where longsword/shield combo was receiving massive stat bonuses that were unintended while not applying any penalties for using the longsword in one hand. If you've been using longsword/shield in the last month or so you've probably creamed everyone, and this is why. It should function normally/as-intended now.

Leave a comment:

• crackseed
    replied
    As a long time devotee of dueling in this game and recently coming back to the fold to test the waters, I want to give you my profoundest thanks for such an awesome overhaul. I certainly have not fully grasped all the nuances of the new system, but this is such a massive upgrade its really awesome and I can't cheer you and the other staffers enough for doing it. So thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Hi all,

This morning I've made a few tweaks to the Weapon Traits Library for Castle Marrach. This is the system used by both MCombat and the regular Dueling code that determines how a weapon behaves based on its properties (ie: strongcut, weakguard, etc).

The changes are balancing tweaks made to address a long standing issue of certain weapons that can be wielded in either one or two hands (chiefly the longsword and longspear) consistently being either too strong or too weak depending on which direction they're tweaked.

The shortlist of changes is as follows:
    • The trait strongattack has been added to the library, and adds +1 skill modifier to all attack types be they cut, thrust or feint. This effect will stack with strongcut or strongthrust for a total of +2 if both effects are present. This trait was given to the two handed sword and the two handed bludgeon, but not the two handed spear.
    • The trait weakattack has been added to the library, and adds a -1 skill modifier to all attack types. This similarly stacks with weakcut and weakthrust. This is given to polearm weapons only when wielding them in one hand.
    • Shields no longer reduce the fatigue damage you take on a successful hit roll, and instead add a constant +2 modifier to defense rolls in any stance (making it twice as effective as the "long" weapon stat which adds +1 defense in any stance).
    • The heavy stat on two handed bludgeons now adds +1 to all attack rolls, this stacks with strongcut and strongattack.
    • Strongcut was added to one handed bludgeons.

The way this balances out in the end is that all weapon sets end up with a final modifier of +2 when combining all their bonuses and penalties to both offense and defense, and thus should be completely balanced, though suited to different skill sets and styles. This is what the final result looks like below:

Sword, One Handed + Shield
    shield, +2 defense
    Values: +0 attack, +2 defense (+2 total)

Spear, One Handed + Shield
    weakattack, -1 attack
    long, +1 defense
    shield, +2 defense
    Values: -1 attack, +3 defense (+2 total)

Bludgeon, One Handed + Shield
    strongcut, +1 attack
    weakguard, -1 defense
    shield, +2 defense
    Values: +1 attack, +1 defense (+2 total)

Sword, Two Handed
    strongattack, +1 attack
    long, +1 defense

Spear, Two Handed
    strongthrust, +1 attack
    long, +1 defense

Bludgeon, Two Handed
    strongcut +1 attack
    strongattack +1 attack
    heavy +1 attack
    weakguard -1 defense
    Values: +3 attack, -1 defense (+2 total)

Note that this library does not affect weapon damage for MCombat, it only affects the hit modifiers for these weapons (ergo your chance to deal any fatigue damage upon attack, in either duel 2.0 or MCombat).
    Last edited by Kurzon; 04-29-2018, 10:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Updates 2017/03/31:

In exchanges where both the attacker and defender are using practice weapons only, if armor is struck, Duel 2.0 will assume the match to be a practice match and conclude the duel without the need to destroy the armour (which is impossible with a rebate) before ending the duel. This means you no longer have to @withdraw to end a practice match while wearing armour, consequently it addresses an issue where combat xp could not be earned when fighting someone in armour due to @withdrawing.

Leave a comment:

• Aptaliesin
    replied
    I only have medium. But the combat experience thing itself, is new. There's something else new too, keeping track of that xp.
    Super curious.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Combat experience (or CombatXP as the system is officially called) is an unreleased system intended to eventually replace the IC martial guidelines as the game's means of pacing skill advancement in dueling skills. It is still in the early testing phases and quite incomplete as of yet.

Leave a comment:

• Dolph
    replied
    Originally posted by Aptaliesin View Post
    You cut and hit Caladan with a perfect counterattack!
    Duel 2.0: You have defeated Caladan in combat!
    Duel 2.0: The duel has concluded!
    Lieutenant Adahn: 45 tempo points.
    Caladan: 27 tempo points.
    You have gained 2 combat experience!
    You have gained 1 combat experience!

....say what?
    Just a guess, but likely you gained exp on heavy AND medium armor together. Do you have something from each equipped?

Assuming this is armor EXP. Check your @stats and see if your percentage went down a bit

Leave a comment:

• Aptaliesin
    replied
    You cut and hit Caladan with a perfect counterattack!
    Duel 2.0: You have defeated Caladan in combat!
    Duel 2.0: The duel has concluded!
    Lieutenant Adahn: 45 tempo points.
    Caladan: 27 tempo points.
    You have gained 2 combat experience!
    You have gained 1 combat experience!

....say what?

Leave a comment:

• Melle
    replied
    i honestly had no idea about that shift-enter exploit. if people were actually using that then, yeah, this was definitely a good choice.

either way, i've tried it out now and it isn't really that noticeable a difference. i think i overestimate how long a second is.

Leave a comment:

• Kurzon
    replied
    Originally posted by Melle View Post
    that's a fairly huge change. i'm curious what feedback prompted it? is rest otherwise exactly the same, e.g. in terms of benefit to fatigue?
    It was prompted by the realization that there was no risk or timing necessary for using the rest skill as it were. Increasingly of late I've observed either people using macros, or even more effectively, typing 'rest', dropping down to the next line using shift+enter (or ctrl+enter depending on browser client), and typing guard on the next line, entering them both at once. It reached a point where, for most players, hitting them in rest became a literally impossible feat even if you were anticipating it and watching closely for the moment.

Through the little testing I've done, the new rest delay is still relatively hard to catch but not impossible. The rest delay is half the duration of the attacking delay from a normal attack, 1 second, minus any latency you have, leaving a split second to actually catch the rest. It's enough time that the anticipating fighter can catch it if he has his next attack lined up waiting for it, but not if he hesitates to react, or is unable to attack because he is recovering from a previous one, adding some risk and strategy to when we rest that was always meant to be there.

The rest mechanic is otherwise unchanged, it still recovers the same amount of fatigue and is still the most vulnerable stance to be hit in.

Leave a comment:

• BauhThurOkk
    replied
    I fully support the change, as I'm often sick of people who use macros to rest/guard before someone can even type something. Now there's an actual risk to resting!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X