Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Logging with zealotry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging with zealotry

I'm trying to log using zealotry, on firefox, under linux.

I've tried both the autolog and regular logging options but neither one seems to want to write anything.

I'm stumped...anyone know how to get it to work?

Logging in Zealotry doesn't like to work with version 36 or later of Firefox.

Usual suggested solutions include "stick with version 35 of Firefox forever", "use Pale Moon, a firefox-spinoff that updates slower", "use the terrible flash client", or, since this is CM and nobody cares about third party clients, use any number of third party clients and live without things like maps, @compose, and colors.
    [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Starting with Firefox Version 46, Mozilla have developed a "This Might Invalidate Your Warranty" solution for Zealotry:

Override add-on signing (advanced users): You can override this setting by changing the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Support is not available for any changes made with the Configuration Editor so please do this at your own risk.
      Mozilla would prefer that Skotos sign and distribute Zealotry through them, meaning Mozilla would like to approve Zealotry so it can be used again.

I would really urge that Skotos at least go through and get Zealotry blessed by Firefox.

Comment

That would be amazing! Firefox decided to install an update yesterday and I spent the longest time figuring out how to uninstall and reinstall the old version.

~ Keeper of the Royal Vault
        ~ Junior Handmaiden to Her Majesty

Comment

seems like i already have that setting as "false" and autolog still isn't working for me on firefox. am i missing some other crucial step?

Comment

If you're having issues, I'd check to make sure you have Version 46 or newer. It may not work for older editions. Then I would reset it, restart, and then set the xpinstall.signatures.required option to 'false' and make sure it's listed as 'user preference.'

My guess is that with every (at least to me) mandatory upgrade, it maybe that the configuration options get reset. At least that is what I'm assuming so that I go in after every upgrade and check my settings.

Again, this just emphasizes to me that whomever is controlling the Zealotry app should go ahead and get it approved for Firefox. The Flash versions I don't like, especially with Flash becoming a dinosaur program.

Comment

I use palemoon.It's basically firefox without mozilla's controlling grip on addons. Logging and macros still work fine.

Comment

I checked out Palemoon. Alas, it's not Mac compatible.

Comment

Flash is garbage and the flash client is garbage but Zealotry hasn't been updated since 2011 and isn't actively maintained so we're between a rock and a hard place for the time being.

Something else was changed with how Firefox allows addons to behave/javascript Firefox deems valid, since logging (automatically, or manually using the file > logging option) absolutely does not work at all.
                  [OOC Page] from Juliee: "I dreamed about Aratan last night. It was the most dull dream ever"

Comment

Who maintains zealotry?

Come to think of it does anyone know what client skotos itself would advocate?

Comment

I'm fairly sure Zealotry hasn't been updated since its early creation. As much as I'd love to be able to use it in Firefox I've given up.

A reasonable work around is using pale moon (https://www.palemoon.org/) this means you can also use the macro feature which hasn't worked for years

Comment

Originally posted by shentino View Post
                        Who maintains zealotry?
                        Nobody. That's the entire problem.

Comment

As usual I advocate using Pale Moon web browser, which is fully functional with autologging, macros, color tags, maps and hyperlinks when using Zealotry, the Skotos recommended and my highly preferred CM client. Pale Moon is a slightly upgraded version of an earlier release Firefox, before Mozilla went kinda nuts with it.

Unfortunately there isn't currently a reliable Mac version of Pale Moon though one was being worked on at some point. One option for a Mac user might be to use an older version of Firefox and prevent it from updating, I used firefox 2.0 myself for the longest time prior to switching to Pale Moon and it did the trick, though for this to work you also need to use the older version of Zealotry which was compatible with it. It's also not a very secure version of firefox to use for anything other than trusted sites like CM.

It's worth noting on the side just in case this was missed, that even though there is a logging/autologging tab in the Options -> Preferences menu in zealotry, it doesn't work with any browser. You need to go to File -> Autolog in order to set up autologging.

As for who maintains Zealotry, I'm not sure that anyone is at present. The person who designed it doesn't work at Skotos anymore.

In lieu of Zealotry, Flash is the usual recommended method but it is quite buggy. The Alice client, which was the original CM client only works for IE and is actually fairly dependable still though you can only have one character logged in at a time when using it.
                          StoryHost Kurzon
                          Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

If someone with the ability was willing to maintain zealotry, would they talk to you or someone else?

Comment

As of today the zealotry client should be fully functional with the latest version of Mozilla Firefox.

With my own test run 15 mins ago I was able to save and use macros as well as autolog. I highly recommend zealotry as the client of choice for playing any Skotos game. You may need to re-install zealotry plugin in order for it to fully function.
                              StoryHost Kurzon
                              Castle Marrach Staff

kurzon.marrach@outlook.com

The destiny of the world is determined less by the battles that are lost and won than by the stories it loves and believes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X