Spam Posts and Cleaverly Hidden Edits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Posts and Cleaverly Hidden Edits

I have recently observed a trend with new spammers, where they will quote a post from a particularly large thread, editing that post to contain a link to malicious link inside the quote (meaning if someone tries to click the quote to go to the individuals' pertaining post in full, it leads to the link instead) and then posting a reply that APPEARS to do with the topic, but in reality is just nonsense.

If you see an account quoting a post that you do not recognize, and see "strange" or "oddly out of place" discussion from that account, check their post history, and be careful about clicking actual links without seeing where the address goes. This is usually accomplished by simply mousing over any particular "hyperlink" and seeing the address that pops over in the lower left of your browser.

Example - You cannot see my mouse, but know that I had hovered it over the "Castle Marrach Staff News" link up above "Create New Topic":

As always, flag any suspicious post or individual that you see. Thankfully, the system tends to take "quickly made edits" as spam and will flag them and unapprove the post automatically, but that doesn't keep them from sometimes popping in. Unfortunately, it also raises up "false positives" causing many users to have unapproved posts when they were actually legit. If that happens, file an assist, and we'll get on it soon as we can

Thanks!
    Last edited by Yuuta; 08-13-2019, 02:13 PM. Reason: Typos
    -StoryPlotter Yuuta
Working...
X