Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

Staff Policy: Punitive Action from StoryGuides

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Point System

We have a new system in the forums for administering to problem posts. There are several categories and each of those is assigned a point value based upon the action.

Here are some of the categories you might see if you post something you shouldn't:

Signature Rule Violation
    Insulted Other Member(s)
    Inappropriate Language
    Spamming
    General Warning
    Spammed Advertisements (Non-skotos member)
    Suspended Forum User
    Banned Forum User

When you break any of the forum rules you'll get X number of points assigned to your forum account unless the Moderator chooses to just give you a warning. Once those points reach a certain level, access to the forums is then restricted for a set period of time until enough points expire from your account to allow you full access to the forums again.

At first you may see some warnings as we start using this, or you may not and your infraction will be assigned the appropriate points. It's all fairly simply though - don't break the rules and you won't earn any points.

Thank you.
    While I may not always agree with you, I will always listen to you. I will always give my best effort to be fair with the individuals involved, no matter what my prior associations with them may have been. I enjoy this duty, and while everyone is not always pleased with the outcome, we must remember that there are two sides to every issue and in as much, fair may not always seem fair to everyone involved. Nevertheless, I will do my best.

Thank you,
    SG Dathan

Comment

On Deleted Characters

Originally posted by SG Dathan View Post
      Here are the guidelines we follow when a request is made to undelete a character:

"Considering the age minimum dictated by the TOS, we should all be able to assume that players are capable of making decisions they can live with. Players are asked several times whether they are sure they want to delete their characters, and once they agree for the final time, their character's fate is sealed.

Unless extraneous circumstances apply (which would require a judgement call from the Lead SG and a heavy argument such as that the player's account was hacked and the character deleted without their knowledge), no character will be returned from deletion, nor will a newly created character be made to resemble a deleted character in name, appearance, possessions or abilities, especially as this would basically allow players to circumnavigate the character limit per account."

Basically, unless you have some extenuating circumstances, we do not undelete characters. Please, make certain that you truly wish to delete your character before doing so, because it is rare that we retrieve them and it can often be a very sad thing to not be able to have your character back.

Thank you.
      More explanation as to why we do not undelete characters:

Originally posted by Geist View Post
      a bad precedent to set because it takes Nino a good deal of work to go through the archives, find the right back-up, and retrieve the character. After all, if the character was still right there and just a quick command away from retrieval it wouldn't really be deleting, would it? The effect of deletion, in part, is that it removes it from the current databse. It is also impractical to maintain a seperate database of just deleted characters because, frankly, it would be *huge*.

This is why we tell you to not delete your characters when you are leaving the game.
      While I may not always agree with you, I will always listen to you. I will always give my best effort to be fair with the individuals involved, no matter what my prior associations with them may have been. I enjoy this duty, and while everyone is not always pleased with the outcome, we must remember that there are two sides to every issue and in as much, fair may not always seem fair to everyone involved. Nevertheless, I will do my best.

Thank you,
      SG Dathan

Comment

Duck calls and Spam

Just a general note, repeated blowing of a duck call creates spam on the screen for people in the Royal Guard and Sentries. Please do not blow duck calls repeatedly. Creating spam on the screen of others is a violation of TOS and so that is a matter we would have to address when it occurs. Hopefully this notice will keep that from occuring.

Thank you,
        SG Dathan

Comment

Adding this to our Sticky:

A new essay on Appropriate Behavior

Note that these links go to the Castle Marrach Public TWiki pages.
          Log in using the TWiki Guest account, which is Username: TWikiGuest, Password: guest if you do not have an account

Thank you,
          SG Dathan

Comment

Objectionable behavior and content

I deeply regret that I have to write this message at all, but apparently it needs to be done.

I’ll be blunt - there are one or more groups of characters who are soliciting other characters for in-character ‘sexual’ encounters, sometimes in exchange for clothing or other items. (It is unclear if they are all part of one extended group or two groups, possibly ‘competing’.) If this is how players wish to spend their time online I suppose I cannot technically object, though I do not understand why you have chosen to make Castle Marrach your home given that our character bodies are, to say the least, anatomically lacking, and there are scores of other MUD/MUSHES specifically suited to this behavior. Frankly, if this is why you play, go play there.

I can object, however, when new players visiting Castle Marrach for the first time are solicited and propositioned within hours of their arrival in the game. I can and do object when this aggressive, almost predatory, behavior presents a skewed impression of the game to newcomers and biases them against us when it seems that the gameplay and interaction here is “all about sex.”

This behavior stops now. I have been reluctant to step in because, for the most part, I’ve been presented with primarily hearsay. That has changed of late, and we’ve had more players stepping up and informing us immediately of these solicitations and propositions right after they’ve occurred. (I have seen logs.) I’ve also been reluctant because if this sort of thing is what floats your boat and you are not damaging the game, more power to you. This behavior, however, as I’ve described it, is damaging the game.

We know who you are, and some of you have been warned in the recent past. You will be hearing from myself or Dathan again… but you, and anyone else acting in this manner, should consider this your final warning. You will not receive another warning. If we catch you engaging in this behavior with new players you will be suspended or banned. (We have already banned one player for this sort of activity, at least in part.) And believe me when I tell you that we will be specifically and actively checking for this behavior. Since I know we cannot police everywhere all the time, we will be devoting some of our valuable coding time to protecting new characters from being lured into these sorts of situations.

This behavior is inappropriate for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that some of our players are underage, minors by any definition of the word or jurisdiction. Though Castle Marrach carries a “mature” warning, the behavior remains unacceptable.

I ask any player who encounters this behavior, these predatory propositions and solicitations, to immediate file an assist and email a copy of the logs to myself (geist@marrach.skotos.net) and Lead StoryGuide Dathan (dathan@marrach.skotos.net) so we can take immediate action. Given that many of you out there know who these characters and players are, another option you have is to demand they stop. This is our game and their activities affect all of us.
            Posted here for convenience.

Thank you,
            SG Dathan

Comment

Working...
            X