• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ClockTower Herald - Issue IX

THE CLOCK TOWER HERALD
    Issue IX
    15th Day, 12th Moon, 16th Year of these Recent Awakenings

-------------------------------

A collection of articles and information about current castle life and events.

Garden Society Corner
    Writ by sera Juliana, Garden Society Patron
    Article One, December Edition

The Twelfth Moon is upon us. A time for Yule, a time for giving as taught to us by Old Man Winter. So, light a candle in remembrance of good times and those most dear.

While you enjoy the festivities and are considering a special gift to give, consider the Garden Society and all that we have to offer.

Near every flower and every plant have a use, a purpose and a certain symbolism. Find one that best represents your thoughts and feelings and gift that to the one you cherish.

Are you planning a special social? Add some plants to add that special touch.

Our staff consists of the following:
    • Patron: Juliana
    • Guildleader: Roxanne
    • Member: Mallegra
    • Auxiliary Member: Emerick

Fashion, Style and Beauty
    Writ by Mistress Ezraella
    The Yule time brings a fluttering of activities, such frosty festivals, ice skating on the pond and sitting by a warm fire with a warm drink in hand.

This Moon don't forget your scarves! According to Mistress Euphelia, they are all the rage! Pair your scarf with some warm mittens and perhaps grab your favorite pair of skates for a journey around the pond!

Don't forget that with the cooler weather your skin and air need special care as well. Wash your hair with some soap and once dried, wear your favorite head veil coupled with a fashionable circlet. For the men, hats are very, very dashing and so is clean hair!

Find a Clothier or Stylist to help you today!

Help Yourself
    An Article on Healing, written by Diana Charmaigne, Royal Surgeon of Castle Marrach

~Introduction~
    Greetings and Salutations good Denizens. Some of you may know me or perhaps only know of me, but to those who do not, my name is Diana Charmaigne, Royal Surgeon of Her Royal Majesty and Retainer to Lady Amoret. Since awakening to Castle Marrach fifteen years ago, I have devoted my life to the study of medicine and the human body and had the privilege to learn from the very best of instructors, primarily Lord Meilyr, my predecessor. I have learned what a truly amazing machine the body is and how marvelously it can heal itself, but sometimes an injury can be too traumatic for the body to handle alone. And sometimes, injured persons have found themselves in dire trouble alone. I earnestly hope that this should never befall anyone, but as many you have witnessed or perhaps experienced in the past, this indeed can happen. These are some steps so that you can take to help you help yourself, so I urge you to remember them, for they may one day save your life.

~Managing Circulation~
    This article addresses bleeding wounds and what you can do to help prevent you from acute exsanguination, or more commonly referred to as "bleeding out" and keep you alive until a Healer can see to your injury. There are several variations of bleeding wounds, but for any injury, though it is often against our nature to do so, remain calm. If you are anxious or panicked, it will cause your heart to beat all the more faster, causing you to effectively pump the blood more swiftly from your body. You will find you can think more clearly after some deep breaths and by keeping the life sustaining Humors inside your body where they belong.

~Bleeding Wounds~
    For bleeding wounds such as puncture wounds or lacerations (stabs and cuts), first apply pressure. You can use your hands if desperate, but it is best to use a cloth or bandage of some kind to protect your body from the outside world. Your hands interact with the environment more than any other part of your body, thus it is prudent to take measures to protect yourself from infection. If you do not have a bandage available, you can improvise supplies with your clothing. Handkerchiefs, small towels, or strips of cloth torn from a shirt or skirt and so forth can work quite well for improvised bandages. After all, these are measures to take to so you can stabilize yourself and swiftly find help. Take the material and fold it over the wound to help soak up the blood and apply firm pressure. When injured, your body is floods the wound with Humors to heal the wound, but if you are losing your blood volume too quickly, you may become ill, dizzy or light headed, weak and fatigued and lose possibly lose consciousness and even expire before the injury can care for itself and it shall be too late. Thus by applying pressure, you compress the blood vessels and force the wound closed. Keep firm and steady pressure until the bleeding slows or stops. It is important NOT to lift the bandage to check the wound. As the blood dries, it will essentially adhere the cloth to the wound; if you should lift it, you could tear the wound open.

Apply more cloth as needed until you stop the bleeding, then apply a pressure dressing by taking a long strip of cloth and wrapping the wound in firm overlapping layers. To tie the bandage, you may need to tear it down the middle and secure one half beneath the previous layer then tie it until it is secure. If the bandage is too tight, your skin will become cool around the effected area. If it begins to turn blue or ashen, you will need to loosen the bandage or else risk losing that part of your body or otherwise cause further harm to yourself. If the bandage is too loose, it will either fall off or the wound will tear open when you move again. Balance is the key to so many aspects of life, so I encourage you to practice so you may learn the sufficient amount of pressure required for you and improve your technique. If the wound continues to bleed and if it is located on a limb, by elevating the effected limb above your heart, you can help slow the blood flow via use of gravity and apply greater pressure.

If ice or snow is available, you can try wrapping it in a cloth and press it against the wound. This constricts the vessels and may help to slow or stop the bleeding which may help you from needing to take extreme measures to control the loss of blood. Keep the cold compress on for a chime, then remove it for a chime. You do not wish to over expose your skin to the cold for that can cause damage and complications of its own. Ironically enough, the ice and cold can burn your skin.

~Quick Tips and Conclusion~
    If injured by a bleeding wound:
    • Be wary of your surroundings and be careful. Prevention of injury is the very best way to avoid risks to your body.
    • Call or send for help. Try not to be alone in an emergent situation and seek aid as quickly as possible.
    • Remain calm.
    • If in a safe environment, take stock of your person and evaluate your situation and proceed accordingly and calmly.
    • Find a cloth if available and apply firm pressure to the wound When the bleeding stops, apply a pressure bandage
    • Apply a cold compress and elevate (if possible)

If you desire to learn more, you may send word to me or through my assistant, sera Katharin. Otherwise, we hope that you find this information valuable and that you stay safe and hale in Castle Marrach. But should you need our help, the Royal Healers are here to aid you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"

Marigold Mysteries
    The case of the Broken Woman
    Writ by ser Siward
    It was a dark night, and the pattering of the drops on the slate roof just started to ease. A loud knock erupted from the door to Lady Marigold's study, interrupting her work. Marigold set the goblet she was playing with on the carved oak table and called, "Enter." A young man in a dark hood opened the door to the study.

"I am sorry to bother you, My Lady. I am sure you are quite busy..." The man started but the lowered his voice choking back his fear. Marigold laughed softly.

"I have an open door for everyone, ser. What is your problem?" The Lady asked.

The young man spoke up, "Well you see, it's about my brother. His... His wife was murdered while he was away on a trip. But Inquisitor Johnson didn't believe him and has him locked away in a cell. I was hoping... hoping you could take a look and see what you could find, My Lady." Marigold nodded her head, she picked up a large sage melton bag.

"Very well, take me to the scene. When was the body found, do you know?" Asked the Marigold.

"This night, My Lady. My brother returned only a few bells ago and noticed her body then." Answered the man. Marigold simply nodded at the man's words as she drifted to the door.

~~~~~

The two arrived at the brother's home, Johnson was there supervising the collection of the body and was shocked to see Marigold. "Wh... Why... are you here, My Lady." Johnson asked.

"To look at the scene of course. I was requested by the aggrieve's brother," She said as she indicated the young man, "What was your name, ser."

The man spoke up, "Tydus, My Lady."

Marigold smiled at Tydus, "A wonderful name, it means to have vision and foresight." Young Tydus blushed at the compliment.

Johnson spoke up then, "Yes, well. I can't very much have you wondering around the scene while the body is here. If you can wait a moment, My Lady." Marigold simply nodded and waited as the body was carried off in a large rugged sack.

Once the body was clear Johnson allowed Marigold and Tydus into the home. Johnson started asking Tydus questions then as Marigold searched the scene.

"So, you are the accused brother, eh?" Asked Johnson.

Tydus nodded watching Marigold as she poked about the scene, "Yes, Inquisitor."

"How did you hear about this incident then?" Probed Johnson.

Tydus wrinkled his brow slightly as Marigold started feeling the blood with her bare hands, "Um..." Tydus shook his head, "My brother alerted me on the way to your home, Inquisitor." Johnson nodded once at the man's words.

Just as Johnson was opening his mouth to ask another question, Marigold stepped up to the two and spoke, "The brother is innocent, Inquisitor."

To learn the conclusion of this tale of mystery, you are invited to attend a Reading in the Outer Bailey Library on the 8th day of the 1st moon of the 17th YRA at 8 Late Bells.

Heraldry and Identity
    Writ by sera Eloren, on behalf of the Heralds
    Identity is everything, it is truth. We identify ourselves with how we act, dress, and even in our actions.

Why is Blazonry so important? Before I can answer that, we have to understand what Heraldry actually is. Heraldry is a broad term used to refer to the duties of a herald and armory, armorial bearings and blazon. Armory and armorial bearings use symbols to identify which House the bearer represents. Historically, in battles, Knights would wear armor, use banners or carry shields with armorial bearings to distinguish which party they held fealty with and to insure the right person was being attacked.

Blazon and Blazonry are terms used to represent the written and visual symbols of a shield or “coat of arms” that identify the family they represent. Basically, Blazonry displays a physical representation of your identity to others. There are many parts of a shield, each having their own meaning, identifying a part of the person who it belongs to. Every word, shape, figure and color on a shield stands for a different things. By looking at different recorded Coat of Arms of the Keep, we can see why Blazonry is so important. Let us look at the coat of arms for the group of the Heraldry.

• Azure or Blue part of the shield: Loyalty and Truth
    • Argent or Silver Border: Innocence, Purity, Peace, Sincerity
    • Trumpet: The Heralds identifier

Examining the shield and its meanings, you can state that the Heralds are loyal, truthful, sincere and peaceful, among other things. Understanding each part, we can better form a conclusion of what ideals each person holds dear. It is amazing how many small parts of a whole can define so much more than you expect it to.

So in ending this article, I ask you this: What will be upon your Coat of Arms? How will your deeds define who you are?

Frosty Fun Fest
    Collected works of the Chroniclers
    Unless you managed to sleep through one of the most festival-filled weeks of this year, we can expect you took part in this year's Frosty Fun Fest. In case you did somehow miss it, you can try to relive it through the works of the Office of the Royal Chroniclers:

Open Positions
    The Herald wishes to provide the castle residents with a list of currently-open positions amongst the available groups and guilds. If you wish to publish an opening within your own guild or group, please send a missive to any currently-active Chronicler with a three-sentence description of the position, a short list of requirements, and whom to contact for more details.
    Aspirant Chronicler, Office of the Chronicler

The Office is always on the lookout for talented writers who have a critical eye and a nose for stories. A good way to meet many new people, as well as make a name for oneself in a relatively short time. Be a part of one of the castle's oldest institutions.

Requirements:
    • Must be able to write fluently in Common
    • Must not have been tried for High Crimes (such as treason)

Call For Submissions
    If you wish to submit an article for the Herald's next publication, please send a query to Court Chronicler Emerick with a brief description of the article you wish to write. Submissions or full articles must contain the following:
    • A signature on the scroll to identify the author, even if the article is to be published anonymously.
    • A title and a short description of the article.

The Office of the Chroniclers reserves the right to refuse any article at its own discretion and for any reason. The Clock Tower Herald aims to entertain and enlighten, favouring articles that highlight castle culture, life and habits.

Special Thanks
    The Clock Tower Herald would like to thank the following individuals for their contributions to this moon's issue: Doctor Diana Charmaigne, Mistress Ezraella, sera Juliana, sera Eloren and ser Siward. Those that submitted articles that have not yet appeared can expect to see them in future publications.

For any questions, comments or queries, please directly contact Court Chronicler Emerick.

-------------------------------------------

So says the Clock Tower bell,
    "May the Queen flourish and Her enemies diminish until my call of bells doth finish."
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"

Comment

Working...
    X