Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

A new guild idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new guild idea

Have you ever thought of dueling with polearms, or other pole type weapons such as staves and canes?

If you have then we want you to print your name below here and your current position. The more names we get, the greater the possibilties of creating a guild of polearm usage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I bet you wish you knew,
    who wrote these letters and posted them too,
    but sadly and without adue,
    I shall not disclose that to you.

Polearms. I don't see how it would work, since they are slow and heavy. I suppose if you had a light and crafty weapon, created by Master Quilp, it might work, but I myself have not seen the good Master for a number of moons.

Jacicus Solambia
    Courtier of Castle Marrach
    Doctor of the Royal Healers
    Retainer to Lady Sinvy
    Fellow of the Royal Collegium

Comment

Perhaps you just don't get it

Staves are not as heavy as they seem, in fact with the proper training, you can wield them as well as, if not better than a sword. A staff is an outstanding weapon of defence, but if you were to put a blade at the end, say like a halberb, then the weapon is no long just used for defence. There are many ways to wield and use a polearm, too many in fact to list here, so if you are interested just put your name down on one of the spaces below and you will be contacted.
      I bet you wish you knew,
      who wrote these letters and posted them too,
      but sadly and without adue,
      I shall not disclose that to you.

Comment

Fair enough. As one who has a staff made for self-defense, I can assure you that it can be dangerous. Ever been thwacked in the head? It can kill.

However, polearms, of the sevenfoot and longer variety, are more adaptable not for dueling but for massed troops combat. Idealy, a line of troops advancing with their long weapons forward upon an enemy position helps to nullify the advantage that mounted units have.

Still, the shorter and lighter staffs, spears with one blade or two, and even a properly balanced cane can be formidable weapons. Their use is is entirely different from a sword or rapier, but 'different' is not 'weaker' by any means.

~Lance Zablan, Outer Bailey's Head Carpenter (and maker of long wooden things)

Comment

A possiblilty

I do believe that the use of staffs to 'spar' could work. They may be dangerous, yet then again dueling with swords (Even practice swords) can be rather painful. An easy way to get around blows would be pads, though they might be a hassle to deal with. I myself do not enjoy the use of blades, but to wield a hard wooden staff would be another thing. Though if one were to use them for such a thing, the certain staves would have to be locked away. (For the sake of society). Wether such a thing could be allowed, I know not, however if it was to take place I would be interested in giving it a go.

Signed "Curious but Reserved" ser Ymer
          - Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong -

Comment

Just to note, the staffs I give out are relatively safe. They're designed for walking. A combat staff, while it is 'simply' a length of wood, is much more difficult to craft.

Comment

Defense...not offense

I 'ave been the recipient of the vera first staff I 'ave e'er seen in the castle. It is not the same as the one I 'ad in th past, but it symbolizes such. I knew 'ow to use it then and still retain some of that knowledge. I 'ave taught a few denizens the art of defense with a stave... but since we are no longer permitted to use them as weapons I 'ave 'ad to stop. If persons would be willing to study them and respect them as ana other weapon I would take up assisting such a group.

~Khalea~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~Sera Khalea~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~Awakener~
              ~Seeker of the Faith~
              ~Seamstressing Student~
              ~Trainer, Student, and friend to all~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Aye, I as well could assist in the usage of staves. I used them in my past life, and for some time I used one as a less lethal approach to criminals than my sword. If this group gets cleared, seek me out, and I'll help.

~Watchman Janwin Njimigen

Comment

I would seem that I am not the only one interested in forming a guild of this kind. I am happy to see that so many others also share my interest. I have since my awakening looked into starting a guild of my own that would teach the exact use of a staff as you speak of.

Perhaps we should meet and speak on this, it may prove to be fruitful

~Ayra Quis

A book is as good as its binding, but only as perfect as the words written within it.

Which way shall I fly
                  Infinite wrath and infinite despair?
                  Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
                  And in the lowest deep a lower deep,
                  Still threat'ning to devour me, opens wide,
                  To which the hell I suffer seems a heaven.

-- Paradise Lost. Book iv. Line 73

[OOC Page] from StoryCoder Azrael: "I'm only the diet coke of evil."

Comment

Working...
                  X