No announcement yet.

Quest of the Chivalrous Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Duels scheduled for the 29th of the Fifth Month at seven late bells will be held instead on the battlements below the Guest Rooms.

The original message has been edited and corrected to this effect.

(When you leave your room, take stairs down, to the west, and then in the center between the two round turrets.)

Pardon any inconvenience,

-Ser Gareth.
    ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
    ~ For Honour! For Glory!
    ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

This evening, I had the honor of fighting in the first sanctioned duels of Quester against fellow Quester. These were likewise my first sanctioned duels in the Castle. The first was against Watchwoman Judith. The second was to be fought against Armsman Artegal. Watchwoman Zenaida, as second, stood for him by her honor in his absence.

The Progress of the Quest hath been amended to record these events.
      http://www.greenknight.com/pcorless/...heart-pro.html

May the Heavens bring with speed renewed health and comfort to my worthy opponents. Gramercy to them for the honor and courage they showed this evening.

My thanks also for the courtesy of those seconding and those attending.

So may these deeds have been performed to please all, and further the cause of chivalry.

-Ser Gareth, President of the Quest.
      ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
      ~ For Honour! For Glory!
      ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

OOC - Gareth, please look for Artegal next time I'm online. I'd like to discuss this with you. - Todd
        Artegal, valet to his Excellency the Royal Consort

Comment

I may be confused, butwhen you use the term 'sanctioned' you do mean that you have permission from his Lordship, Sir Launfal and have waited at least 24 hours between the challange and the duel, correct? These are still two of the steps to a sanctioned duel I believe.

In defense of the dueling laws,

Martel

Comment

Ser Martel,

From what I am given to understand from my Secretary, Ser Darvius, all duels fought under the terms of the Quest of the Chivalrous Heart have been graciously granted prior sanction by the benificence of the Lord Chamberlain, so long as they:

a) are conducted in accord with all the Rules of the Quest
            b) abide by the other typical codes of conduct and Rules for Dueling, and
            c) comply with Her Majesty's Capitulary of Law

It is fitting to ensure no miscommunication or misconstruence of the Lord Chamberlain's word or sanction be taken. And so for thy vigilance and concern towards these matters, I thank thee.

I shall see if some surity from His Lordship may be provided to satisfy all Questers and witnesses of the Quest on this specific point. Elsewise, I shall take the Secretary's report as faithful to our Lord Chamberlain's words, and take such words at their literal meaning until they are further perfected howsomever the Lord Chamberlain prefers.

As for the two duels in question, they were indeed conducted with more than one day between issuance of the challenge and pursuance of the blade at arms.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Rules of Dueling, the following is repeated for thy benefit:

[ooc : Castle Marrach Player's Handbook, pg. 30; strangely enough, it says this is governed by the Capitulary, but there isn't a second in the currently published Capitulary that matches it. CE clarification please?]

Rules of Dueling
            Formal dueling must follow certain rules laid out by the Queen's Capitulary

* Formal approval from the Queen, the Chancellor, or the Chamberlain is required. (See above for prior sanction from the Lord Chamberlain.)

* The consent of both parties is required.

* A delay of one day is required.

* Seconds to the duel must be appointed.

* Seconds must make an attempt at reconciliation.

* Seconds must arrange the conditions of the duel.

I pray this all hath been reported faithfully and conveyed by me with minimal imperfection. Prithee it meets satisfactorily and with all due regard to the proper form and manner of customs necessary for this Quest to be considered chivalrous conduct in the eyes of those who are best fit to judge it as such or no. And if there be any blemish or blame, I pray for and shall hear instruction, and shall do what may be done to correct whatsomever is required to ensure future conduct shall speed well and straight of course.

For Love! For Valour! For Honor! For Glory!

-Ser Gareth.
            President of the Quest
            ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
            ~ For Honour! For Glory!
            ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

In Clarification of the Quest

Those upon the Quest are to seek out and challenge others who bear the sword.
              Those who have sworn to the Quest may challenge any others who bear a blade of steel whether those others have sworn the Oath or no.

Moreover, there is no limitation on accepting challenges from others, whether they have taken the Oath or no.

And these challenges, or acceptance of challenges, shall constitute duels fought under the terms of the Quest.

There is no limit in the Rules to any Quester to issue or accept a challenge against one who does not bear a blade, yet these would not be deemed part of the Quest.

The limitation to those 'who bear the blade' is to ensure there is no seeming impropriety of one who has rightful use of a sword (and one would thereby presume, some competence to wield it) to issue wanton and widespread challenges against those who those who do not normally bear arms.

Although it may be that one who hath no right to arms may in sooth have the better skill, and regardless of skill, may by Fortune prevail, it might to some seem improprietous for one who hath arms to challenge one who is unarmed.

And though one who bears a blade can accept any challenges from those who do not bear a blade, such duels shall not rightly constitute a matter of interest to the Quest.

Therefore, for a challenge to be considered a matter of interest to the Quest, both participants should comprise those who normally have the right to bear weapons, but both need not be Questers.

Exception to this would be is if a duel betwixt a Quester and another denizen seemed to be fought in violation of the Rules of the Quest, and thereby the Quester might fall into delinquency against the Oath they have taken.

Of the Quest & Not of the Quest

Those challenges which may be part of the Quest are those which abide by the terms set forth in the Rules of the Quest and comprise:
              • A Quester against another Quester
              • A Quester against one who bears a blade, but is not within the Quest

Those challenges which are not part of the Quest include those which do not comply with the Rules of the Quest, as well as those fought between:
              • A Quester against one who does not bear a blade
              • Two denizens who have right of a blade, but have not taken the Oath
              • One with right to a blade but who hath not taken the Oath, and a denizen with no right of a blade
              • Two denizens who have no right of a blade

In Homage to the Path of Chivalry

Some have expressed desire to in some way pursue a martial path similar to the Quest, and yet by law have no right of a blade. They ardently desire to fight for Love, for Valor, for Honor and for Glory. To them, I say 'Strength to thy Quests!' For indeed, it is to inspire such acts in others the Quest was created, so that chivalry may flourish for the pleasure of one and all.

Some might prefer this matter be fought with blades of sharp steel. Others might rather limit it to challenges with practice swords, but have it be a tournament to see who prevaileth of arms, but without risk of harm.

And yet, howsomever this could be in the future, I cannot in good faith sponor such acts for the entire castle, as I would be quickly overwhelmed with my current duties and these beyond. Yet, if another would seek to sponsor a similar Quest -- open to a wider list of denizens, with rules similar to, and yet as necessary adapted to such circumstance -- I would be glad to offer them counsel.

Gramercy for the inquiries. Only by expressing such curiosity may this Quest reach a more perfect state to please all and Her Majesty, Long May She Reign.

At thy service,

-Ser Gareth, President of the Quest.
              ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
              ~ For Honour! For Glory!
              ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

On this eve, the 5th of the Sixth Month, Watchwoman Zenaida prevailed in a sanctioned duel fought to first blood against myself, Ser Gareth.

All of the protocols of courtesy and honor were observed by the seconds, including Ser Ghobii for the Watchwoman, and Ser Darvius for myself, and other witnesses. In this matter, separate from the week prior, the Watchwoman stood in her own stead and by her might of arms, proved the victor.

The Duel was fought 'a plaisance,' that is, for love of dueling alone. When the matter was concluded, the Watchwoman was recognized as the first to defeat the President in the Quest.

And so, the Progress of the Quest continues.

For Love! For Valor! For Honor! For Glory!

-Ser Gareth.
                President of the Quest

(ooc : I was lucky to fight the last duel before the real wound system went into effect. Hee hee!)

Last edited by Gareth; 06-06-2001, 12:45 AM.
                ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

(ooc: Uh oh. Real wound system? Is it up already? How does it work? Not good...when I get back on I'm sure Kris will be split in half with cuts )
                  kristine@iskl.edu.my
                  http://www.iskl.edu.my/~kristine/
                  MSN: kristinejct@hotmail.com

Comment

(ooc: Don't worry Kris, it only works with the real blades, so you don't get any with the practices blades... But you can die after 4 wounds.)

Comment

A Further Clarification of the Quest

This missive is in response to two salient quotations, posited as questions or observations about the conduct of the Quest asked elsewhere.

I am ever glad for the inquiries and observations of others! They have continually led to the clarity and betterment of the Quest.

To address both salient quotations, and to inform the gentle readers of this dialogue, I offer this:

~~~~~

Is the Quest a 'sport'?

Nay.

The Quest is not a 'sporting' event, for there is no prize offered, no bounty to be garnered, no ultimate determination of success nor failure.

The duels of the Quest I witnessed have been conducted with great decorum and I vouch my fellow Questers have displayed a reverence which hath lended an air of almost sanctity to the art of arms. The duels have been most inspiring to participate in, and I pray, to witness.

If there is any air of sporting about it, it would be the way the Questers do pursue their quarry like huntsman dashing straight towards their goals! Whether this be the elusive prey of sweet Love, noble Valor, goodly Honor, or laudable Glory. Marvellous to behold!

And so, tis not a sport, but tis a pursuit: a Quest. For one might never catch these and possess them to make them their own entirely. But this is done to instill, breed, and further these high Ideals by showing our reverence and worship of them, and our dedication to seek them out and know them as best we may.

However, I use this in the most ideal poetic sense. In actual fact, we do not hawk meats and drinks in stands nor charge coins for admission to witness.

~~~~

As for dueling between two who are in of position of authority one towards the other, this is a very good point! So far, Watchwoman has dueled Watchman, and non-Watchman has dueled Watchman, but none have broached this proscription of the Court of Honor yet within the context of the Progress of the Quest.

Not all protocols are honored in all duels, either in or outside the Quest. Some chose to proceed with unsanctioned duels. Some dispense with the use of seconds. Some have present ado, and do not wait the day.

However, each such action indeed may bring about the displeasure from the Court of Honor as would be expected.

Similarly, other proscriptions may be laid out for some by their Guilds or other affiliations. For instance, a Battle Guild member who was to have an unsanctioned duel would be dismissed from the Guild.

It is up to each Quester to observe and follow whatever strictures and code of conduct is required by their station.

~~~~~

My mind is curious why one would belittle an activity which His Lordship, the Lord Chamberlain Sir Launfal, a member of the Court of Honor, found pleasing and granted right and sanction to pursue.

And by belittling, I mean to observe someone wrote literally to describe it as a "little game of duels."

The Quest is young, and grows. How something is treated by others will craft it in its growth. And, as something grows, it shall recall how it was treated by others.

May all witness the words and conduct committed in the name of Honor!

-Ser Gareth.
                      President of the Quest
                      ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                      ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                      ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

ser Gareth, I call it a little game of duels, because that is what it is. Something close to a practice with you keeping score. Should we all post our number of practice duels and the numbers of wins and loses? I would have trouble with that, for after the first few hundred, it seemed pointless to keep track.

And because his Lordship sanctioned it does not mean it is pleasing to him, mearly that it exists. Does the Lord Chamberlain find the duel to the death between ser Morte and ser Morbidro pleasing? I hope his lordshipdoes not. But it still received his sanction.

The Quest has sanction so the participents are not losing favor as brawlers, but neither does that make it a way to impress those of the inner bailey. I can not speak for the lords and knights I have met there, but I will say that none I have met have even mentioned the Quest.

So, I seek not to belittle the Quest, just to counteract your rhetoric about it. Attempt to cast it in a more correct light. Which may mean I cast my light to negitive to counter act your ever flowing praise, and if that is so I apologize. I am not the master of words you or Viola are, I simply speak my mind and attempt to explain things so that all might understand what is really going on.

Casting the light into the darkness,

Martel

Comment

I am not surprised in the least that Ser Martel and others of his mindset continue to find fault with the most noble and glorious Quest. The Duelist's Society seems to rely on the excuse of 'defending honor' to justify their martial confrontations. Given the chance to duel for a cause other than petty slights or wounded feelings, how few have the Spirit or Courage to accept the challenge!
                          Why not be content to practice? Because Practice is just that... practice and training, learning from ones fellows. A Duel is more than testing oneself against ones peers!

Ser Martel has said....
                          "The Quest has sanction so the participents are not losing favor as brawlers, but neither does that make it a way to impress those of the inner bailey. I can not speak for the lords and knights I have met there, but I will say that none I have met have even mentioned the Quest."

Have any even spoken of the Quest to the Knights and Lords of the Court? Do their swords hang idley at their sides? Perhaps the Quest might strike some Lords fancy if it were properly explained?
                          Finally, Ser Martel it is my desire to cross blades with you; must I wait until some matter of controversy between us crops up, or will you satisfy my request to duel you within the bounds of the Quest?
                          Sincerely, and for the Honor of the Quest,
                          Judith

"I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings"
                          ~ Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

Comment

Petty slights and wounded pride Watchwomen? Do you deny the portion of her Majesty's law sanctifying the Duel as a matter to resolve disputes?

And I have spoken to some Lords and Knights of the challenge, but those conversations are not to be repeated to idle ears. When you have the chance to speak to them, you may of course do so.

As for crossing blades Watchwomen, of course I will oblidge. When next we meet, perhaps I shall challenge you to duel for the slights you have placed against both the Duelists and the sanctity of the duel. But I am afraid I have no desire to limit myself to the rules of the sport you call a Quest. Duels are a sacred thing. Would you have religious rituals performed purely for entertainment of hte masses? Or only for the sacred purpose for which they serve.

In defense of the sacred purpose of the duel,

Martel

Comment

Gentle followers of the dialogue and progress,

I for one, heartily welcome Ser Martel's attitude! For he presents, under witness of all here in the public forum, with an implicit challenge to all Questers. Ser Martel asks for proof -- both of our word and our deed -- of the noble nature of the Questers, and the Quest itself. He is a skeptic, and in classic sense, the antagonist of our drama. For our story to ring with any Truth, the Questers shall have to address his rhetoric with inviolate proof in response.

Now it is up to us all -- the Questers and those apart from the Quest -- to see whether this story shall provide us with a comedy, a tragedy, or a great epic history for the witness of all, and for those who may hear of these deeds in years to come.

I am also so very glad word has been bourne of the Quest to the ears of the noble knights who serve Her Majesty, Long May She Reign, in the Inner Bailey. In my heart, I prayed deeds and words of the conduct of the Questers, or even knowledge of the existence or purpose of the Quest itself, were witnessed by or bourne to those who, by right and nature, stand above us in station, in prowess, and in honor.

That Ser Martel is an Honored Guest is well known. He therefore stands at this time above myself and others of the Quest in favor. For him to have taken his time to have spoken to a knight or other personages who stands above him in Her Majesty's favor about the Quest, truly elevates the dialogue, and makes more critical the repute of our progress and conduct.

What was spoken about the Quest or the Questers is certainly a private matter, a personal perogative, and a right which cannot be impugned. We stand under the witness of all in our conduct, and others are free to judge us as they list and lever.

Yet it was very courteous and generous to have had such advocacy for our sake. Gramercy for the service to us all!

For Chivalry!

-Ser Gareth.
                              ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                              ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                              ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Gentles all,

In light of the recent release of the Code Duello through the pen of Ser Daris, and also a very enlightening and welcome conversation with the Lord Chamberlain, the Quest of the Chivalrous Heart shall be amended to conform with the recent revelations regarding the proper protocol and conduct for the Art of the Duel.

The conduct of the Quest is sanctioned by the Lord Chamberlain. Or, it is more appropriate to say, through his kindness and generosity, it is a permitted activity.

The Court of Honor considers a Sanctioned Duel a very specific condition and circumstance.

Therefore, the duels conducted under the Quest as a sanctioned, or permitted, activity are not the same as "Sanctioned Duels." They are to be formally considered "Unsanctioned Duels" in the eyes of the Court of Honor.

And yet, since the Quest and Questers comply to a very specific set of Rules which have been reviewed and approved by the Lord Chamberlain, they have a special term which shall apply to duels fought under its terms.

The name for these, which the Lord Chamberlain suggested, and which I am glad to accept, is "Honored Duels".

Again, such duels are considered "Unsanctioned Duels" in the eyes of the Court of Honor, and yet, they shall have this special name, and can be conducted without obtaining prior approval from the Lord Chamberlain, as long as they are conducted in compliance to the Rules of the Quest.

I have not amended the Rules as of yet, but felt it was important to let others -- Questers and interested parties -- know about the Lord Chamberlain's most welcome requirements for change to our Rules as soon as possible.

-Ser Gareth.
                                President of the Quest

(ooc : Pardon a bit of revisionism because of the release of the recent dueling books.)
                                ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                                ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                                ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information