Because I lost the duel last eve....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because I lost the duel last eve....

I hearby publicly annouce that Morte is honorable and just. Thus fulfiling his term of the duel.

Robert
    Silliness: Grand Master
    Intrigue: Master Adept
    Creative Thinking: Artisan
    Subtlety: Apprentice (considerable training)

I recall some thing from my last lifetime..
    I will believe none of what I hear and only half of what I see.
    Guess this is one of the other half times.

Comment

Sers and Sera's of Castle Marrach, I submit to you the following, for your consideration.

Honor, like many things in life, is not a codified listing of rules, to be followed blindly. To be honorable, is not to be lawful. To be lawful, is not to be honorable.

While some might say, that to be unlawful, is to be dishonorable, as the Queens will is law, and to violate the Queens will is dishonorable, I would disagree.

The Queens laws, are Just. The Queen, is Just. The Queens will, is honorable. The Queen, is honorable. Of these things, there is no doubt.

However.

Honor is a personal thing, that no-one can dictate unto you what it truly is. Honor, to the respected ser Gareth is not Honor, unto me. Ser Gareth admits to a flexible, situational honor, that moves and flows with the situation, as suits him. My own honor, is much more strict than that, and does not flex easily.

With this in mind, My above statements about law, and honor, which may seem mutually exclusive, are better comprehended.

Please, do not assume me dishonorable, because my honor is simply different from yours. I entreat you to speak with me, and discover for yourself what my honor truly is, and them make an educated, and erudite decision.

Comment

To this very interesting explanation of the personal nature of what is generally referred to as honour, I would add the following sentence I like to recite over and over again for there are yet a great many people guilt of commiting to the error described therein:

Far too often, people confuse their honour and their pride.

I would beg that each reader of this humble missive take a look at his actions, past and present, when they felt their honour slighted and assess whether it was honour in deed that was slighted and not only vain pride that had been hurt.

~Dariel~
        'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
        -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
        The most acceptable hypocrisy.
        -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

Ah yes, the educated and smooth speaking man can make any actions seem honorable and correct.

Ser Morte, I have spoken to you of honor in the past. But ser, Actions speak louder than your smooth phrases, and I have seen to much from you that I can bare stand, let alone grace with the title of honor. You are a good one for seducing with the toungue of a viper, but all should beware your secret and hidden fangs. Call yourself honorable, there is nothing anyone here can do to stop you. But Please, Castle denizens, look to actions and not his ser's words. Know his pithy phrases for what they are, and see the man behind the words. Then you will know truly what serpent walks about on two legs.

Honor to her Majesty, and not to those who hide behind her Majesty's name,

Martel

Comment

Education, and eloquence of speech, will only cover so much, Martel. I will ask you to point to one action, one instance in which I have behaved in a less than honorable fashion. Then, I will ask you to lay out your own honor, and explain it, that I might see the error of my ways, and examine what you consider to be a better path.

Have I ever broken my word or oath?
            Nay.

Have I ever wounded the unarmed?
            Nay

Have I ever stabbed a man or woman in the back?
            Nay.

Have I ever raised my voice against Her Majesty?
            You might think that, but I say nay.

Have I lied?
            Funny you should ask that. No.

Have I mislead?
            Yes

Have I allowed others to think what they wish?
            Yes.

Are those actions dishonorable?
            Perhaps only to the most conservative estimation of personal honor.

Come now Martel, Speak with me again, as men of honor might, and discuss this. I know you would never call me dishonorable, knowing yourself to be false, and the. problems that arise from such. Speak with me now, in the name of peace. I extend my hand to you Martel.

I will not do it twice.

Comment

A part of honor is defending others, not tricking them into strange pacts. Not preying on the innocent.

A part of honor is protecting those weaker than yourself, not causing them pain. Not closing seras into rooms and making them fear for their lives.

A part of honor is respect others, not using them and casting them aside. Not leading them on and toying with them. Being upright and forthrightwith them. Telling them the truth, not just the truth they wish to hear.

ser Morte, you have done all that I point out above. If you wish to debate honor, I say that you and I go to the Court of Honor. Let us place our beliefs before the Knights and Lords of the Court, and let them decide. Would you like me to talk to them for you? Since I know you have not been choosen an Honor Guest, and thus can not walk into the inner bailey. Since you have not been judged as worthy of a Knightship.

To uphold Honor and Her Majesty against ALL foes,

Martel

Comment

"A part of honor is defending others, not tricking them into strange pacts. Not preying on the innocent. "

Part of /your/ honor, Martel.

"A part of honor is protecting those weaker than yourself."

Part of /your/ honor, Martel.

"A part of honor is respect others, not using them and casting them aside. Not leading them on and toying with them. Being upright and forthrightwith them. Telling them the truth, not just the truth they wish to hear. "

Part of /your/ Honor, Martel.

As for the Court of honor, have you not heard a word I have said? Are you blind or deaf, that someone cannot plainly read my words? NOONE can dictate what honor IS. It is like someone dictating what YOU are. You are Martel, and nomatter how many people call you a potato, you are STILL Martel.

And.. Martel, You live in a house of glass.

Comment

In the world in which you live, honor might be so flexible. You might be able to define it whatever way you wish. Might be able to twist your words and mind so that you even think you are right.

You are not.

There are some absolutes in the world. There are some things that can not be negiotiated. I am sorry you do not see this. I am sorry you can not live your life according to some rules. But to call what you do honorable, is a crime against honor.

And ser, I decry your so called values. I believe that should so manage to unbend your mind long enough to write your honor down, the castle as a whole would denouce it as not in there definition of honor as well. Keep your flexible morals to yourself, and do not sully the definition of honor by speaking of it.

In Defense of Honor,

Martel

Comment

The question, good ser Martel...

Is what is it I do?

Be so kind, as to tell me what it is I do, that we may discuss your perceptions, as they seem somewhat skewed. You seem to confuse Chivalry, for Honor. Honor is integral to Chivalry, I agree, but they are not the same thing.

As for my honor, it is a set of simple ideas.

Never betray an oath.

Serve the greatest good.

Never harm an innocent.

These are the cardinal rules, never to be abrogated. Never to be broken. There are of course, other aspects, but they are to numerious to mention here. Think long, and think hard, Ser Martel, before you do comment again.

Think well, and consider these final points:

I have /never/ been flexible on these rules.

No-one can say, that I have harmed a true innocent.

No-one can say, I have betrayed an oath.

And, I do serve, the greatest good. I oppose you. I am your dark reflection. I am, your balance. In in such, balance is served, and the greater whole, is healed.

I remain,

Comment

I will say you have harmed an innocent. Do you recall a sera Rose? She ended up in tears in the dinning hall hiding behind sera Faer because of your threats.

And if you think being who you are, trying to balance me in some way, is for the greater good, you are sadly mistaken. If someone builds a great building, is the public good served by defacing it or tearing it down? If someone saves a family from a fire, is balance served by picking a few kids and throwing them back in? Must every act of kindness. Every noble act be balanced by one of selfishness?

In defense of honor,

Martel

Comment

Martel : Sera Rose was simply in a room I happened to walk in to. If my presance was a fright to her, such is the way of things. I never harmed her. If she perceived harm from my presance, I cannot help that. I assure you, the things I am accused of, that I have never done, cause more fright in castle Denizens than anything I ever truly did.

I will note, that you have not shown me, what it is I /do/ do. You have thrown rhetoric, and slander, but shown no proof. You have not addressed the points of honor I laid down. You have attempted to circumvent these things, and focus only on what you perceive to be bad.

I respect your inflexiblity, and your dogged determination to stand by your sense of honor.

I do not respect, your inablity to hear other ideas in an open minded fashion.

I remain,

Comment

Ser Morte, you asked if you have ever raised your voice against Her Majesty.

Not your voice, perhaps, not in the open, but your pen has. You have proclaimed that the Lord Chamberlain, the Watch, and the Castle needed to be destroyed or brought down. Publically. Upon these very boards.

I consider that an attack against Her Majesty, for this is authority that She has set up in Her wisdom. An attack of words, at the very least.

Comment

Cody the "blade" :

You may think, what you will.

I remain,

Comment

Well, I will again try to point out in plain words that I think even you can understand what I find wrong. Your code is interesting. And for what it says, good. The problem comes i nwhat it says not. By your code of honor it would be alright to lie, cheat, steal and murder anyone who you did not decide was an 'innocent'. Even more so if in your warped sense of balance it would help to counter act some good done by myself apparently.

This is the problem I find with your little set of rules. You may think yourself superior. You may think that having this little set of guidlines absolves you from the responisibilites of others, but it does not. I call your three rules a good start, but if you consider them enough, then I think they are a joke.

In defense of what honor should mean,

Martel

Comment

Working...
                              X