Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

A Challenge of Honor ~ An Impeachment of Ser Sindale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Challenge of Honor ~ An Impeachment of Ser Sindale

Ser Sindale was challenged this past night for "knowingly taunting and baiting and frightening sera Astana while she wore the fear mask."

While at first it was propounded by ser Sindale mayhaps an exagerated experience of the mask's emotion (fear) might allow the mask to be removed, after attempting to evoke such emotion, this proved unsuccessful in loosing the mask. And yet he persisted, not immediately, but later, after this means of removing the mask was clearly shown unsuccessful.

Upon sera Astana's barest utterance of the words "Forgive me," and not directly towards him, he responded with harsh tone and admonished her that she had "behaved disgracefully" and "should face punishment for it."

This was done not out of experimentation to cure sera Astana, but to my mind and the mind of others in witness to his acts to cause emotional distress and suffering without true desire or chance of success in curing her. Therefore, he was speaking tortuously and cruelly. Furthermore, his speaking was a disruption of those who were meanwhile trying to understand and solve the mystery which lay behind the masks.

I told him I had enough of it, and I saw no 'honor' in lying (as he did earlier) and taunting a person in this magically accursed state.

He was informed he would be given one chance to apologize. Utterly and willfully ignoring my request, he was challenged to a duel in defense of sera Astana.

For my cause, I invoke the Castle's ancient code of Chivalry, which reads: Thou shalt respect all weaknesses and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.

Seeing how sera Astana was afflicted by an unnatural fear imposed upon her by an accursed mask, she hath a weakness she cannot hope defend herself against. Therefore, I stood to defend and champion her against what I and others saw as ser Sindale's maliciousness. That sera Astana is a member of Her Majesty's own household staff, his acts seem contemptuous of her plight as well as her station.

Sindale, even after being challenged and interceding between himself and sera Astana, continued to ignore me and tried to further bait and order her about. This proves he was interested in no more than causing distress and mischief. This I cannot explain as anything less than base and puerile.

Ser Sindale was given explictly the reason for the challenge as stated above. He refused to even acknowlege the cause or reason he was challenged.

He only relented when faced with possible arrest for his misconduct.

Having heard and read ser Sindale's prior statements regarding the importance of honor and the Code Duello, I found he proved himself counterfeit to such claim by continuing to speak directly to me after my second, ser Tarriq, Elder Teacher of the Battle Guild, had been named before his witness.

Therefore, until proven or moved otherwise by means of this Castle's customary and honorable traditions, I hereby declare and hold ser Sindale as mere miscreant and dishonorable.

My challenge was indeed delivered in person. This is a writ to inform all, so that by his words and deeds, ser Sindale's character may be known.

Ser Sindale and others can post words as they desire; I stand by my words and my friends with my sword ready.

For chivalry and honor,

~ ser Gareth Beaumains
    Elder Teacher of the Battle Guild
    ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
    ~ For Honour! For Glory!
    ~ Onwards to Adventure!

In fact, in is my belief that terrifying Astana will be her CURE for this mask she wears.

That you would challenge a ser over his own actions to try to fix this from her, is typically for one banished from the Inner Bailey.

My reply? How dare you speak of challenge and dishonor. You aren't worthy enough for such words. In fact, ser Sindale may very well have grounds enough to ignore any such challenge from a ser such as yourself. This could technically be taken to the Court of Honor, but I do not see that they do anything except dismiss a case with the name 'Ser Gareth' attached.

-- Corporal Jarrod
    Valet to the Consort

Comment

Now the question must be asked, let us pretend that Gareth, was not the one to issue the chalange, but indead someone else. Let us say for the sake of argument that it was I that chalanged Sindale? I was there I heard all that happened. What then would you say Corporal? Would you still dismiss this as you do now, or would you perhaps dismiss this in a difrent way, or perhaps you would not dismiss it at all. I would be interested in knowing your thoughts.

~Sera Xewe Golianor~
      Xewe Golianor

((ooc: The cake is a lie))

Comment

Though I always respect those who try to defend the weak from those who might not give a damn about such weakness...I do have to say, Gareth, that I am on Sindale's side, in this.

With the hate mask, I tried:

Getting it off with water....no use.
        The exact opposite of hate...however disgusting and pathetic it may be...

And I also learned that these masks are /very/ durable. EXTREMELY durable. The bloody things just won't break!

So we have two choices...try Sindale's way...or get some stiletto's, and cut the damned things off.
        Originally penned by Dionar
        Ryot was a mistake, and it was corrected. Threads have been locked because the conversation degraded into personal attacks and name calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrod
          In fact, in is my belief that terrifying Astana will be her CURE for this mask she wears.

That you would challenge a ser over his own actions to try to fix this from her, is typically for one banished from the Inner Bailey.

My reply? How dare you speak of challenge and dishonor. You aren't worthy enough for such words. In fact, ser Sindale may very well have grounds enough to ignore any such challenge from a ser such as yourself. This could technically be taken to the Court of Honor, but I do not see that they do anything except dismiss a case with the name 'Ser Gareth' attached.

-- Corporal Jarrod
          I have to ask, what comparison do you use in the matter of people banished from the inner? Only one name really comes to mind, and she instaled the basics of common courtesy that are used and followed by many of the people in the outer today. Last I looked Ser Gareth was taken down to the level of any other newly awakened, but not that of a criminal. As such he is full within his rights to issue a challange and expect it to be answered correctly, unless the person it is issued to is of much higher rank. Last I looked, tho Ser Sindale was an Sergeant in rank at one point, he is now an honored guest, but a small step above Ser Gareth, and therfor normaly within the level of acceptable challange.
          Lastly tho it may or may not be true that the Court of Honor would not have time for a case involving Ser Gareth, it is true that neither you nor I speak for the Court of Honor in this matter, or any.

Comment

And I second this last post.

Although I am not certain if Ser Gareth or Ser Sindale are either right or wrong in this matter, as I have not heard both sides yet, the problem persists.

Still, my opinion has little or no meaning except for those who care to know it and myself. The same applies to most of us.

According to the Code Duello, Ser Gareth has the right to challenge Ser Sindale and that is enough. Let those with the appropriate authority deal with this from now on.

Neutrally Yours,
            ~ Dekard ~
            - Errare Humanum Est, Ignoscere Divinum -

Comment

As I am want to do, let us refer to the Code Duello for a simple answer:

The challenger must consider whoever is challenged to be worthy of it specifically, in a position to provide satisfaction in a duel.
              By Gareth's own words I do not seem to fulfill this criteria.

However, to appease Gareth a little, I will simply state that he knows not enough about these masks to state whether what I did was right or wrong. Perhaps when he learns more he may come to an understanding.

Secondly, I in no way relented with anything. When the threat of arrest came about, I simply moved myself and Astana past the guards on the bridge such that I was out of the Watch's jurisdiction and continued until I was satisfied. I think most would call this prudence.

Sindale

Comment

I challenged ser Sindale. If he believes himself too dishonorable to apologize or too unworthy to meet the challenge, so be it.

My words stand.

~G.
                ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Perhaps this should be a lesson to all within this castle.

When you find strange, evil, magical artifacts which compel the bearer to all sorts of inane, crazy behavior totally bereft of reason... do not wear said evil artifacts.

Secondly...

Last I looked, tho Ser Sindale ... is now an honored guest, but a small step above Ser Gareth....

Interesting. Banishment by Her Majesty and being personally honoured by Her Majesty are but 'small steps' in difference? Truly, an interesting opinion to hold.

--Lance Zablan

Comment

Though the height of the 10th Link might seem lofty to some, it can be quite a short fall to make.

If ser Sindale chooses to speak as he does against certain august personages in a public Courtyard, mayhaps one day he can join me in banishment. Or mayhaps he can fall all the way and end up in the dungeons.

I've learned my place indeed.

Has he?

~G.
                    ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                    ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                    ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

So, if I understand correctly, a craven coward who does not wish to die in a duel can just decide that the person who is challenging him is not 'worthy'?

That is ludicrous beyond belief. If you cannot follow the code, please turn in your sword.

Rodeger

Comment

So, if I understand correctly, a craven coward who does not wish to die in a duel can just decide that the person who is challenging him is not 'worthy'?

If he wishes, yes. An honourable duel is one consented to by both parties, not one forced upon an unwilling participant against his will. The Code Duello is very specific pertaining to the reasons and circumstances appropriate and inappropriate for dueling.

Worthiness is very much a matter of personal opinion- of course, some personal opinions carry more weight than others.

--Lance Zablan

Comment

Originally posted by Rodeger

That is ludicrous beyond belief. If you cannot follow the code, please turn in your sword.

Rodeger
                          I am curious as to what relevance this small piece has to the question at hand. First it talks about craven cowards, and I see none of those involved here. Then it speaks of someone not wishing to die in a duel, and again I see no mention whatsoever about anyone dying here at all. And lastly this said craven has decided the challenger is 'unworthy?' As far as I can tell, Gareth is the challenger, which would imply the first two notes would somehow refer to myself, and I can see nowhere upon this post that I have mentioned Gareth as being unworthy.
                          However, I am but a Simple Swordsman, so it is highly likely that I do not truly know the hidden meanings behind my own words.

Sindale

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth
                            Though the height of the 10th Link might seem lofty to some, it can be quite a short fall to make.

If ser Sindale chooses to speak as he does against certain august personages in a public Courtyard, mayhaps one day he can join me in banishment. Or mayhaps he can fall all the way and end up in the dungeons.

I've learned my place indeed.

Has he?

~G.
                            Tis true I have not fallen the full measure of Gareth, and in truth it could never happen. Mainly because my shift from the 7th link to the 10th link was by my choice. I resigned my position...why? Because to me it was a promotion to be free once more.

My poor abilities did not suit the Guard well and they are better off without me. They think so, I think so, which means everyone is happy. Having said that, were I to fall to the dungeon it would be nothing new. Gareth has been forced to find his place...I choose my place...I wonder which of us is the wiser for it?

Sindale

Comment

So muses the dishonorable miscreant.

My challenge still stands.

~G.
                              ~ Gareth Beaumains ~

~ For Love! For Valour!
                              ~ For Honour! For Glory!
                              ~ Onwards to Adventure!

Comment

Working...
                              X