Announcement

Collapse

The Great Skotos Split Is Here [UPDATED]

The long-planned Skotos split is here. We are going to be separating Skotos into the four games that we're passing off to individual players (Marrach, TEC, the game formerly known as Ironclaw Online, the game formerly known as Lazarus Sleeping), and in the near future the core Skotos site will shutdown.

Here's how it will work:
* On Monday, we will turn off the ability to make any purchases through the main site. This will be the end of credit card purchases for Skotos games.
* We will run final automated credit card purchases on Tuesday morning. This is typical, in that our regular subscriptions are always set to run on the 1st through the 28th.
* On Wednesday, we will begin converting the games over to the new auth server that I've been working on for the last month and a half. All data will be converted over from the moment I grab the database. This means that all of your account information, including all payments (but not including any credit card information or Paypal information) will be duped to all the games: you'll be able to play any of them for the time you'd previously paid at the main Skotos site.
* We'll then start integrating the individual sites for each game with the new stand-alone setup.
* And likely I'll be resolving bugs in the auth server that only turn up through extensive usage.
* Meanwhile, we'll start handing off games to the individuals who will be running it in the future. I'm at this point over the time I'd initially committed to Skotos by a bit more than three weeks, but I'm expecting I'll need to offer support a little into May to make sure everyone is running well and that I've helped Christopher, Skotos, and the game leads deal with any intricacies of the hand-off.
* We'll request that all games remove all information from users who didn't stick with their game within a year.

I hope this will go as smoothly as possible. There will surely be bumps in the road. In particular, expect some random downtimes on Wednesday, when I convert over the games to the new servers, and expect the potential for problems on *next* Thursday, when I see how things work in the new setup.

A Few Updates as of 5/3:

1.) Castle Marrach, TEC, and Allegory of Empires are now split out from the main Skotos UserDB, which is the first (and biggest) step in separating these games. Multiversal Revelations will follow on Monday.

2.) Each site has a new login page of the form login.itsdomainname. This is the proper place to login to that game, and where you should access all UserDB functionality. Anything you do on the main Skotos users pages will no longer be reflected. Yes, that means you should be using the new pages to update your accounts, purchase months of play, and purchase subscriptions. Credit card payments are no longer possible, but Paypal is.

3.) Skotos is still running the games as of this moment, but they'll be transferred to the individual teams by this time next month.

4.) We've had some problems with credit cards continuing to run on the older UserDB system. We've refunded any bills that went through on the main system following the split, and apologize for the inconvenience. The plan is to turn the old UserDB off tomorrow, so that will absolutely stop the bills at this point. If you were accidentally billed, do note both that the amount was refunded the same day AND it isn't reflected on the new systems. [And as of Monday morning, those old charges seem to have been halted entirely.]

5.) We've discovered that about 20 accounts have credits of various amounts of them. This is a concept that is no longer supported in any meaningful way on the new UserDB, so we'll convert those credits to days of play at the most generous ratio.
See more
See less

A warning to all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A warning to all

So that all may know, a long-slept man has returned to us this day, therefore, I wish to post a warning to all on this man's behaviour and of his trade.

ser Mortie, as he calls himself, is a trader of slaves. This man charms any sera he can find and thereby breaks their wills. After breaking any sense of independence they may have, he 'enslaves' them, convincing them, by way of fear and by deception, to do as he wishes, in every way, shape, and form.

I simply request that every sera be very wary of this ser, he is none but trouble in my opinion and in the opinion of many many others.
    ser Jakt
    Secretary to Her Ladyship, the Lady Berthe
    Assistant to Royal Cook Geoffry
    Assistant to sera Isadora

Wasn't that ser Monte?
    Mistress Gretchan D'Avalon

Comment

I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, this ser dresses in the exact same clothing (far over his link) and does the exact same things.

Perhaps Monte's mind has faded too far to remember his own name.
      ser Jakt

Comment

Ser Jakt

Perhaps you could use a good lesson in becoming one of my own? You seem to have the demeanor for it, someone who needs to have their hopes dashed, and give you the harsh reality that should be, your life in my hands.

I'm not a cruel man by any means, because those who serve me, are treated with some comfort and their needs are taken care of. However, if they EVER step out of line, then they will be punished, greatly.

So, to you Ser Jakt, I say this...one day, when you have no one else to turn to, send me a missive so that we will finally understand one another.

(signed with a fluid script)

Monte
        Trader of Servants

Comment

A warning to ser Montie

[Brisk, stylish script flows across this post]

No ser Montie, it is YOU who will seek and learn the hardest lessons. I know of you quite well, for the woman who claimed she was yours was the very one who I first met that made it clear to my mind that the Duelist course was my own. As you have been asleep for some time, know that we will hound you whenever possible and if you insist upon your villainous trade, then you will bite off more than you can possibly chew. All are free within our Queen's eyes. If you seek to break this freedom, you will be broken yourself. I make no more warning than beyond this: Desist, or those of us who walk with honor will do it for you.

You have been warned,
          [Signed charismatically]
          Santilius Galanodel, Senior Triad of the Duelist Society
          ~ As the wind blows, so the reed bends ~

Comment

Santilius Galanodel,

As if your childish merit of a foppish Duelist means anything to me. And being that your part of a Senior Triad, that means you're probably filled with more hot air than the rest of the baffoons that run around claiming to be in the right.

You've been fooled already by listening to the spouting that the Elders do there, it's enough to drive you mad, I tell you. But that is another matter all together.

If you think my trade is as villianous as you say it is, why don't you try to put yourself in my place? I simply do a service here and provide what is asked of me, to make people's lives a little more comfortable and to make them appreciate their time here in the Castle. Surely if you were interested in stopping me, you would have done so by now, don't you agree?

Pray, Santilius, tell me what this freedom means to you? Does it mean that you will always wander about the Castle openly and without care? Perhaps. But to those who wish my attention, it means a life where I make sure they are well taken care of, and well spoken for. Their freedom is that of my choosing. They give it freely Santilius, and not by force, although your delusional mind may think otherwise.

So, warning or no, I will continue my business and I suggest you stay out of it, unless you wish to be a part of MY freedom.

(signed in a fluid script)

Monte
            Trader of Servants

Comment

[Stylish script flows across the paper]

Monte, perhaps you didn't read carefully. Whatever your thoughts are, no one gives a damn. Either you heed the warning or you'll just be visiting lonely cells and probably sporting several generous wounds. No one will be caged, least of all by you. And as for staining the public boards with more of this, I will save the rest when we meet in person. If your man enough to venture out that is. Watch yourself Monte.

The warning remains,
              [Boldly signed]
              Santilius Galanodel, Senior Triad of the Duelist Society
              ~ As the wind blows, so the reed bends ~

Comment

Perhaps you should speak with the Lord Chamberlain, ser Monte. Maybe ask what he believes is Her Majesty's good view on such a matter of enslaving another within Her castle. After all, this Castle Marrach is neither yours, nor mine, but is Her Majesty's, and I'd imagine that a request for permission to continue your 'trade' would be appreciated. Enslaving the guests that Her Majesty has chosen to order awoken can't be exactly what Our Gracious Queen had in mind for her guests, I would imagine.

<unsigned>

Comment

Ahh, Santilius, speaking for the masses again are we? I'm sure that will have to be remedied, in short order. Do you wish to drop your current title of "hot windbag" and take that prestigious position of being a Royal Page instead?

Being that you are quite a hostile individual, I suggest you seek some counseling, perhaps from the Seekers or maybe the Acolytes...I'm sure they would be quite willing to help you adjust to your life here in the Castle. I have ventured out and around before Santilius, and I'll do so again when I feel I need to do, not by your command that's for sure.

To the person who wished to remain anon, I wish you would do some leg work already. You see, it is not a crime or anything dastardly that I'm doing here, even the Watch and the Royal Guard are aware of the laws here, they would be best to query.

Again, I merely provide a service that many would find useful and entertaining. I know for a fact that Master Quilp has taken part in my services, rather than render justice in his own fashion, he gave the guilty party an option. Either remain with me, or suffer lashings and jail time. Needless to say, a smile upon my face was gleemed when the sera did not wish to spend her time in the filth and muck of the dungeon.

I would hope that we would meet sometime Santilius, you seem to at least carry a decent conversation, even though it is teadious and boring to say the least.

signed in a fluid script

Monte
                  Trader of Servants

Comment

I find the words exchanged here troubling on many levels. I make no assumptions as to ser Monte's goals or activities. The moral fitness of his actions are for each to make judgment concerning on their own time. However, if he merely takes in people to perform actions which are 'lawful' (irrelevent of their moral realities) without forceful coercion, but interacts with people who are free to make decisions entirely on their own accord, then there is nothing wrong with his actions save them being distasteful to certain individuals.

For those who represent honour to threaten another with hounding and wounding to take their ideology is, however, wrong. To use threat of force to coerce another to your point of view is not honour, but bullying. If ser Monte is a criminal, a clear and present danger to others, then by all means take the steps necessary to stop him. But if he merely partakes of activities which are personally distasteful, then he is 'distasteful' in one's opinion, and nothing more.

The sword is a tool of truth and justice. One can change reality under the confines of the Code Duello. Honour comes from defending conflicting idealogies, not forcing others to your point of view with threat of pain. To take such a course condemns ser Monte's detractors to the same accusations that they themselves claim upon him.

--Lance Zablan

Comment

You might want to be careful about what you so vocally oppose-- especially when it is a well-established practice here in the Castle.

Do you not see the slaves that wander about the Castle constantly? All those couriers and servants are slaves, you know. If you condemn the practice of slavery, you need to go back to your room and fall into the great sleep and not return, as Her Majesty might not be too happy at being so openly criticised.

If you have eyes, see; if you have ears, hear.

-Rodeger

Comment

You write the truth, ser Rodeger.

I will not oppose his enslaving of seras the moment he gains rank above that of eleventh link and as soon as he changes his methods, these seras are UNWITTINGLY made to be slaves, I find that overly deceptive and cruel.

--Jakt
                        ser Jakt

Comment

Overly deceptive? Cruel?? Far from it, Ser Jakt. I think you misunderstand the situation that most of these people get to deal with. You obviously didn't understand what I posted before about the deal with Master Quilp. The situations were quite clear indeed. Rather than being imprisoned, they chose to aid me instead.

As I have said before, I have treated these people with the respect that they deserve. Some deserve less than others, it's clear, but that is my choice to make and mine alone. Also, I would like to clarify that my name is Monte, not Montie as to someone else eluded to earlier in this posting. If there is someone else parading around as me, let them suffer the punishment of the Watch with a leather scourge to their backside for impersonating someone else.

Also, it's good to note that Ser Lance Zalban and Rodger at least have their wits about them, probably some of the more intelligent folk I've met around here. One of these days, I'll have to have a chat with these fine people.

Monte
                          Trader of Servants

Comment

I never claimed that you did not, ser.

You treat these people with plenty of respect and such as that, and that is how you fool them into serving you.

This is as far as I will argue this, you will not see another post from me here.

For any who wish to see ser Monte's handiwork, seek a sera Torrie, I have never seen her in any state besides that of cowering in fear.

--Jakt
                            ser Jakt

Comment

You have seen her? Torrie you say? And here I thought I might have actually misplaced her. She is one of my servants, it's true. And the last time I recall, she was living quite well under my care.

At least you have the common sense to keep quiet, Ser Jakt. Save us all from a prolonged agonizing headache from your words of anger and frustration towards myself and others.

Monte
                              Trader of Servants

The bottom of the parchment is torn at a slight angle and you notice some sort of liquid seeping into the paper and moving upwards through it...it's either dark ink or blood, but you can't quite tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X