X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Kingdom (BBC/Netflix)

Does anyone else watch this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxPApTGWwas

I started watching it when the first season came out, and it took about 2 years or so before the second season followed up, after Netflix took it over from BBC. Both seasons are available on Netflix now, it's become my favourite period piece show surpassing beloved Vikings and Game of Thrones.

The show is based on the series of books, The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell, a series of 10 novels with an 11th in the making, that focuses on the viking invasions of Anglo-Saxon Britain aka: The Great Heathen Army, and the efforts of Alfred the Great to unify and take back England from the Danes who have invaded and settled much of Britain. The chief protagonist of the story is Uhtred Ragnarson who is based on Uhtred the Bold, a viking raised warrior fighting in service of the Saxons against the viking invasion, in exchange for having his late Saxon father's lands bestowed to him. His portrayal in the show particularly reminds me of my own character Lucus, which may contribute to some of my interest in the show.

In any case, super good show, great cast of interesting characters, super recommend it to anyone with Netflix who enjoys medieval warfare and politics themed television. Also for anyone who watches Vikings, season one of The Last Kingdom starts historically just about where season four of Vikings just left off, some of the same historical figures are even portrayed in it (King Athelwulf, Alfred, Ubba Ragnarson, Ivar the Boneless is mentioned but not seen).

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

"The weak tend to cling to words as their only defense, while those of us with strength end up dieing trying to protect them - being weak is a sin."
    - Prince Isley

Loved the first season, had no idea there was a second. Thanks for the update. I will be binge watching
    Ser Kobe
    Bodyservant to Lord Vestio
    Keeper of the Vault
    Mummer for the Unity of the Arts
    Awakener

Comment

I've never seen it, but I'll have my hubby sit and watch it with me since we both love that kind of stuff. Thanks for the recommendation!
      You need power only when you want to do something harmful, otherwise love is enough to get everything done. ~~Charlie Chaplin~~
      No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow. ~~Proverb~~

Comment

Working...
      X