Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What hooked you to CM, and what got you to stay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hooked you to CM, and what got you to stay?

Some of us have been playing CM for quite some time. For me, personally, the thing that got me hooked on CM is the thing that still keeps me around today: the mystery aspect.

It was lot more intense when I first started playing, because back then even the basic questions of "where am I?" and "what's going on?" were enough to fuel quite a bit of RP. Nowadays, understanding the castle WAY better than I used to and in a position to influence its politics, I get to ask and explore much deeper questions concerning its lore.

So I wanted to know, when you were a new player, what was it about CM that got you hooked, and as you grew to understand the game, what was it that got you to stay?
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"

I initially started playing with a different character, but my first day playing, I wandered out and eventually stumbled into the Duelists' Lounge. Not only were the players themselves very helpful and engaging with me as a newly awoken, but they were having their weekly meeting, and a spar had broken out, and people were standing on couches and swinging from light fixtures and I really got to see not only the fun and flavor of the Duelists (whom still had strong Triads back then, so they were every bit of the Musketeer image I had had in my mind) but I got to really see what the parser could do, and I was excited. Some of my fellow friends now know I strongly prefer RP fights of all kinds, and this is in part why. It is integral to part of why I enjoy this game: We are all painting that epic movie together in our mind's eye. THe current coded spar doesn't so that as much for me as it once did. I don't get to see the flair and flavor of the combatants in the current timed fights.

That brings me to another thing that I loved and still love, is the individual flair and flavor players bring to the characters. Sure, there are other MMORPGs that have good storylines and interesting NPCs, but the script is already written. Once you've done the quest, you know how it ends. Real people bring excitement and unpredictability to interactions. You can -guess- how someone might react or assume that they will do things a certain way, but you never know for certain. I think this is the large part of why I continually come back, is for the collaborative storytelling. I'm also a tabletop DM, and I try to encourage my players to RP, but even that is not quite the same (although I've managed to use elements of how things go here to aid them in expressing more of who their characters are, to good results.)
    Aleysia Forsyth
    Secretary to Lord Mirshan
    Royal Library Aide - Outer Bailey Librarian
    Embinder - Battle Guild Teacher

Comment

What got me started was the rp and storytelling of the players. It all seemed so wide open, so "sky's the limit". It became a dominant force and a near addiction to needing to be in the game so you didn't miss any of the stories or plots.
      When I returned the second time, after a very long absence, I found a new group of players and characters and delved into it. Immersed my own style of play into it.
      Now I think I only play for the sentimentality of it. There have been some good improvements to the system, but have also been some things that are way out of sorts that have likely driven many players away. I won't delve into those things as this is not the place for that.
      It is always fun to see new players arrive with that same enthusiasm and "sky's the limit" mentality.
      Vaden Amberthorne
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Jeweler
      Seeker and Treasurer of the Rememberers
      Northern instructor with the LPA
      Assistant Virtuoso of the Unity

Comment

I've played CM since June of '06, without much of a break. At all. Yes, I probably like this game too much. I've seen it dramatically change over the years. In many ways for the better and in many ways for the worse.

What hooked me to CM in the very beginning were collaborative and engaging characters and the players who knew how to make you feel involved and you WANTED to get involved. You WANTED to contribute and be a part of the story, not just sit back and watch or show up to be entertained. The back and forth, give and take, collaboration was like no other. Being able to have a part in the story was excellent.

The stories were not one sided, but all inclusive. Characters like Theresa, Edstave, Tredias, Chasity, Anita, Howe, Kittyn, Heulyn, Claudia, Jerisa, Namida, Fezwin, Priam, Gareth, Amoret, Berthe, Varick, Umichan, Serione, old-school Trevayne, Dolph, Sinvy, Uwaine, Natasha, Atmos, there are so many more characters I am not remembering at the moment from the earlier years who made an impression on me as a player and on my characters in the first 8 years of game play. These players and many of the newer players and characters (Josie, Adeline, etc.) have made the game vibrant and incredible.

I keep playing for many reasons. The relationships I've developed OOCly with really great, and genuinely kind, players who are awesome to RP with. I also enjoy doing what I can to keep the game going by contributing my time and my effort (again, for 12+ years). I enjoy scenarios that include everyone and I try my best to ICly include everyone. I find mild conflict interesting, and trying to create scenarios where a character can find redemption and come back from mistakes. I like the creative aspect of the game, the crafting system is the best by far than all the other games and the martial system is top notch (a little tedious and mechanical, but still top notch).

So, I'll likely never quit the game (even though some of you probably wish I would - jokes on you!).

Comment

CM was not my first MUD. Prior to CM, I had tried a couple of MU*'s via telnet. While the other games were interesting, they just didn't ring the right bells with me. I enjoyed the combat, exploring and collecting things and, of course the occasional RP. But the worlds didn't seem alive enough to suit my tastes. The players were too concerned with stat tracking and hardcore combat rather than telling stories.

When I came to CM, I experienced an epiphany. I remember wondering, prior to playing, what a "Social Roleplaying Game" was. I had no idea at the time it was what I had been searching for all along, and I took to it like a fish takes to water.

First, there's the parser. There's nothing like it out there. The way your character can pose and shift around via prox is, and still continues to be, revolutionary. While it's more restrictive than free emoting, it lets you emote using real-world objects, parts of objects, and parts of parts of objects. I think you actually get a better RP experience using the parser than you do with free emoting, if only because it keeps your head in the game with the lack of spelling mistakes and capitalization and grammatical errors.

Next, there's the mystery. Castle Marrach is a bunch of mysteries bunched up into one giant mystery. There are always new puzzles and hidden history to unfold and learn about this place. As long as you continue to involve yourself (it requires effort, a fact I think some people miss), you'll never, ever be bored or without something to do.

Lastly, the player base. Most of the people I surround my characters with and gravitate to are actually really good actors. They know how to set a scene, they know how to work within a scene, they know how to keep a story moving. I love so many characters here, even (and maybe especially) those my characters hate, and therefore admire the players behind them. If you can elicit emotion, create tension and create conflict, good or bad, you're someone I want to play with. There is a big handful of people here who abide by the improvisational tenant of "Yes, and.." and who are willing to go on a limb or accept the consequence of actions or inaction and I love you all for it.

Equerry to Lady Rayna
          Lead Royal Page
          Senior Steward of the Treasury
          Rangers Recruit
          Embinders Apprentice
          Honored Guest

Comment

I played TEC when WAP and Skotos partnered up. I tried Marrach and liked that it was more story-driven, but I was a complete idiot and didn't stick around. I went back to hacking and slashing. Then, I came back and made Briseis, and found passion in the Winter Watch. And then Darcy and chronicling. To date between my three different chronicler characters, I've written close to 300 chronicles and though sometimes I wish I could rip my hair out, I love that aspect. That we have this huge written history.

Every once in a while I go back to TEC. It's so much hack and slash. I'm not interested in the time it takes to level up a weapon skill to the levels you need in order to take part in stories. Worst of all, the game has no history. There's nothing kept. No Chroniclers. What happened back when is only known by the storytellers and as they quit and move on, the story becomes more and more threadbare.

The history here keeps me here.

That and garnet. I love the colour.

Comment

My brother knew some of the CM game designers being in the industry himself and was invited to play in Alpha Testing. I had never played a MUD (and this is the only one I have ever played) but since 1993/94(?) I had been playing online D&D games through GEnie Online--we rented out General Electric's server at night and would play "table top" D&D with dice commands and free emoting. I had dearly loved it and had missed it when it finally shut down. So my brother Jamie thought I would really enjoy CM and I stood over his shoulder as we created together Diana back in October of 2000.

It was just very unique, and believe it or not, the parser was even HARDER to fight with ; ) But it was the people and the RP that have always drawn me back, in good times and bad. My life isn't a bowl of cherries, so when and as I can, I log in and play and it has always been my place to go to for escape from world life and a distraction from my own physical and mental challenges.

The game is so very different than what it used to be, but it's still a magical place for me, but in the end, it's you all that keep me coming back.

~Stacy
              Diana's Player

Comment

Working...
              X