Take Notes CM Men

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Notes CM Men

So after watching this time period on Elizabeth of York, I started looking into their history and came across this letter Perkin Warbek (or pretender/Richard) wrote to Catherine Gordon before their wedding. I was left in awe and thought to share it with people who may enjoy this stuff.

Most noble lady, it is not without reason that all turn their eyes to you; that all admire love and obey you. For they see your two-fold virtues by which you are so much distinguished above all other mortals. Whilst on the one hand, they admire your riches and immutable prosperity, which secure to you the nobility of your lineage and the loftiness of your rank, they are, on the other hand, struck by your rather divine than human beauty, and believe that you are not born in our days but descended from Heaven.

All look at your face so bright and serene that it gives splendour to the cloudy sky; all look at your eyes so brilliant as stars which make all pain to be forgotten, and turn despair into delight; all look at your neck which outshines pearls; all look at your fine forehead. Your purple light of youth, your fair hair; in one word at the splendid perfection of your person:—and looking at they cannot choose but admire you; admiring they cannot choose love but you; loving they cannot choose but obey you.

I shall, perhaps, be the happiest of all your admirers, and the happiest man on earth, since I have reason to hope you will think me worthy of your love. If I represent to my mind all your perfections, I am not only compelled to love, to adore and to worship you, but love makes me your slave. Whether I was waking or sleeping I cannot find rest or happiness except in your affection. All my hopes rest in you, and in you alone.

Most noble lady, my soul, look mercifully down upon me your slave, who has ever been devoted to you from the first hour he saw you, Love is not an earthly thing, it is heaven born. Do not think it below yourself to obey love’s dictates. Not only kings, but also gods and goddesses have bent their necks beneath its yoke.

I beseech you most noble lady to accept for ever one who in all things will cheerfully do as your will as long as his days shall last. Farewell, my soul and consolation. You, the brightest ornament in Scotland, farewell, farewell.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Royal Librarian
    Apprentice Jeweler
    Courtier of the Winter Court
    Handmaiden to Her Majesty
    Assistant Dean of the Royal Collegium

Trying to turn the men into love slaves, Ade? *snicker*

I love parts of it, particularly 'Love is not an earthly thing, it is heaven born. Do not think it below yourself to obey love’s dictates. Not only kings, but also gods and goddesses have bent their necks beneath its yoke.', but other parts are definitely overkill to the realist in me. Still, the freedom of expression is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!
    Acolyte of the Faith
    Courtier
    Embinders Hobbyist
    Junior Equerry to her Ladyship Sinvy
    Lead Apprentice Stylist - Inner Bailey
    Mistress of Entertainments
    Patron of the Duelists
    Royal Artist
    Ranger Recruit
    Squire to Dame Galatea

Comment

That is adorable.
      Mistress Tristana

Member of Her Majesty's Court
      Embinder/Hairstylist
      Aide for the Healers
      Patron of the LPA

Comment

Damn it I thought it was going to be about importance of wearing codpieces. Instead mushy love stuff.
        "In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia."

"Although many of us consider ourselves forward-thinkers, we still cling tenaciously to the old values of the system."

"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"

Comment

Haha!

Josie: I totally agree, near the end it got a little weird for me. I still love it overall, and it may has bloomed some idea of love slaves in Adeline's mind. >.>

Tristana: It totes is.

Anton: We leave that for Anton to do!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
          Royal Librarian
          Apprentice Jeweler
          Courtier of the Winter Court
          Handmaiden to Her Majesty
          Assistant Dean of the Royal Collegium

Comment

Working...
          X