... Dot ... Dot ... Dot ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... Dot ... Dot ... Dot ...

Have ... you ever noticed how empowering ... and lucrative ... an ellipsis can be ...?

Even when used at the ... wrong times, used more than actual, complete ... sentences, or elongated to ................................... excessive lengths, the ellipsis can be so ... versatile.

It destroys ... the walls separating the nobodies ... from the elite ... and even makes it look like ... they have something ... to say that's also worth ........... reading ...
    "The truth is, laughter always sounds more perfect than weeping. Laughter flows in a violent riff and is effortlessly melodic. Weeping is often fought, choked, half strangled, or surrendered to with humiliation."

-Anne Rice-

I played a game where a guildmember and I used to only use ellipsis points to express our disappointment in things.

Comment

In the Xanth series ellipsis' are used when having sex to send a message to Storks to bring a baby. *nods*

Comment

I always thought an elipsis was only three of those magical little dots. Not eight and not eightteen. Three ie. . . .
        Anything considerably longer is just stupid. Three gets the point across just fine, this on the other hand: ".................." is generally just ridiculous.
        Ah well, c'est la vie and all that rot
        Last edited by Reiyua; 03-18-2003, 05:47 PM.
        . . .

Comment

Mmmm, ellipsis.
          I apologise, I don't speak pineapple.
          -- little red dinosaur

Comment

Mmmm, dots. Especially those ice cream dots.

I agree with Reiyua though. More than three dots turn out ridiculous, unless you're expressing your speechlessless like Greg does a lot.

C a r r i e !

Comment

Originally posted by Humphrey
              In the Xanth series ellipsis' are used when having sex to send a message to Storks to bring a baby. *nods*
              Royal Chief of Medicine
              Noble of Her Majesty's Royal Court
              Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

Ah, judiciously used, more than three can be can expressive. Then again, you rarely see 'judicious use'.

Comment

More often you see something resembling:

OMG!......LOL ROFL!!!1111...... STFU!!!111

Shoot them all.

When's open season for hunting morons?

Comment

Now *shoots Age*

You walked right into that

j/k
                    Royal Chief of Medicine
                    Noble of Her Majesty's Royal Court
                    Avowed Seeker of the Faith

Comment

I don't think I can type without my dots!

I thought they were a nice 'pause', to show a slight pause in speech, and yes... Viceran can not live without them.

*raises hand* My name is Darby, and I'm an ellipsis' abuser. Oh, and if you don't like my dot dot dot then bugger off.

Comment

Just to be vaguely pedantic (and soon to be corrected, I'm sure), an ellipsis, three periods, is normally used to show the removal of intervening text in a quote.

That be said, they have come to be commonly accepted as a method of showing a pause in a quote-delimited sentence of dialogue, just as mis-spellings and apostrophes are allowed to show dialect or regional accents.

And when used as a pause in a sentence, three of them are used for an interuption or pause in the middle of a sentence, and four (an ellipsis plus a period) for a pause at the end.

That being said, I'll finish by saying: Elisandra smiles suggestively, "Wouldn't you be more...comfortable, with less clothing...."
                        Life is a moment to celebrate, to enjoy. Look at Life -- do you see sadness anywhere? Have you ever seen a tree depressed? Have you ever seen an animal neurotic? Your cleverness is your disease. Don't be too wise. Always remember to stop; don't go to the extreme. A little foolishness and a little wisdom is good, the right combination makes you a Buddha...
                        ~Osho: I Celebrate Myself

Comment

Working...
                        X