Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Song Help Needed, Reward (Warning: Obscure)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Song Help Needed, Reward (Warning: Obscure)

Okay, so after 15 years of dedicated service in any number of devices my family's cassette tape (I know) of Christmas Music finally got shredded by a player that was apparently not in the mood. Fortunately, most of the songs that were on it are available from other sources. However, one that has been particularly popular over the years cannot be found, despite long searches.

I should know them by heart by now, but I can only remember partial lyrics and what may be an unoffical title at best:

We're a Bunch of Little Elves

(probably about two verses here I can't remember)

We're really short
    Not very cute
    We have big noses
    And big feet to bo-ot

Some of us are fat
    Some of us are fatter
    But we're invisible so it doesn't mat-ter

(somewhere in the middle they sing their favorite song)

Tra-la-la, tra-la-la, tra-la-la, tra-la-la
    do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do

Second verse!

do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do

We're a bunch of little elves
    And we think it's really swell
    Just to be a little elf
    Oh wow, oh gosh, oh gee

So would you like to be
    A little elf
    just
    meeeeeee
    (sounds of scuffling)

All this is sung in high pitched gnome-y voices, so you can see why it would be popular. >_>

It was on a tape, and one where the music on it was recorded from other sources, so it [I]must[I] be out there somewhere. Not that, for the life of me, I would know where.

First person that finds it can have 25 storypoints. First person to find a downloadable audio file of it can have 50. Rewards not cumulative, I'm sorry. If you are the first person to find it, and it's audio, you get 50 not 75.

Thanks gang.
    Last edited by Avaria; 12-10-2006, 02:26 PM. Reason: Added second line of Tra-la-la's which surfaced from my patchy memory. Elves' favorite song now more accurate. >_<
    Lady Avaria, Royal Archivist & Dean of the Royal Collegium
    Collegium Dean since 30.10.8
    Royal Archivist since 10.11.2
    Previously Senior Chronicler and Counselor

StoryPlotter Skelly says, "I always knew Avi was evil ... Now I have logged evidence!"

What other songs were on the tape, was it one you could buy or was it recorded on a blank tape? If it was a tape you could purchase what was the title?

Comment

Any idea what year it was made?

What ever your pleasure I'm your punk.

Comment

It was on a tape, and one where the music on it was recorded from other sources, so it must be out there somewhere.

Comment

*points upwardly* Yeah, it was a tape that was bought blank and had stuff recorded onto it.

I don't know how old it is. It might date back as far as the late 70's, but I doubt it. Probably no later than mid-80's.

Other songs were just a general mish-mash of other artists. A little Bing Crosby, a little Riley and Malon(e)y, some instrumental. Basically whatever my mom felt like throwing on there. She doesn't remember where the elf song came from.

StoryPlotter Skelly says, "I always knew Avi was evil ... Now I have logged evidence!"

Comment

I searched Ares and didn't come up with anything.
            "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."
            - Petrarch

"So far as he is able, a prince should stick to the path of good but, if the necessity arises, he should know how to follow evil."
            - Niccolo Machiavelli

"Men should be either treated generously or destroyed, because they take revenge for slight injuries - but for severe ones they cannot."
            - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Did a search, found a mention of it on a forum.. so others know it exists. The questioner on that forum was directed to a similar song by Barenaked Ladies called "The Elf's Lament"

Comment

*nod* I tried a few searches myself and came up blank. That's why I warned about it being obscure. I don't have much hope of it being found outside someone's personal collection, but I do hold on to that tiny shred of hope.

I mean, I know it's a -really- stupid song, but that's part of the holidays for me, and I'd hate to think it was lost forever. I appreciate people looking.

Elf's Lament is a good song. I have the disc from the Barenaked Ladies. It's just not the same, though.

Comment

I'll find it.

Comment

Any idea if it was a radio recording or what?

Comment

According to Jerisa's player, she found mention of a Radio Station in Appleton Wisconson that played it during the 80's.

Honestly, I am personally ignorant as to its origins. I first heard it when I was 11 or 12, from the tape.

Comment

http://www.70traveler.com/christmas.html#juke

It might be on there, but I dont know for sure. I sent the web master an email asking about it.

its to huge to search though and I;'ve to get offline, but thats better then nothing.

Comment

Here is their christmas stuff.

http://www.70traveler.com/christmas.html

Comment

This site lists the song as being released by the Flying Rashid Brothers in 1983. The company publishing the record was Used Camel Music. I can find no other reference to these performers, but there is an artist by the name of Steve Rashid whose music is published by the same company.

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
                              http://www.70traveler.com/christmas.html#juke

It might be on there, but I dont know for sure. I sent the web master an email asking about it.

its to huge to search though and I;'ve to get offline, but thats better then nothing.
                              Thanks for the links, Legion. I looked through the Christmas list but didn't see it.

Alyse - Tsirona's player also mentioned the Flying Rashid Brothers, but after talking with her, what she was able to tell me of the lyrics make it sound as if this may not be the same song. It could be the right one, but I'd need to at least see the lyrics. The one I'm looking for may be a parody of this song, I don't know. Then again, looking at your site... hrmm...

After talking again with my mother she said it likely did come from someone associated with a radio station, and that Wisconson sounded about right. She remembered having to send away for it, and that it was the B-side of a 45 record. (I know, why can't everything just be digital and save us all a lot of trouble)
                              Last edited by Avaria; 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM. Reason: Looked at Alyse's site

Comment

Working...
                              X