• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle - His Royal Highness: Incognito; a Secret for the Practice Hall

Tenth month, Fourth day
    Year Three of the Recent Awakenings

His Royal Highness: Incognito; a Secret for the Practice Hall

To the gentle Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain and the Chronicler of the Court, and in keeping with the traditions of the Office of Chroniclers, I submit this recount of the events that occured during the Quest of the Chivalric Heart's second tournament.

On the first day of the Quest of the Chivalric Heartís second tournament, the twenty-eighth day of the previous month, a turn of events gave way to a halt in the tournamentís progress. Ser Gareth, who served as Marshal during the tournament, was addressing the combatants and the audience when a ser by the name of Morley commenced to ask a number of questions; presumeably, the time at hand was not convenient for the serís questions, indicating duly why it caused such a stir.

"When I arrived it appeared ser Harabec was helping to organize this event," the ser remarked to ser Gareth, "I was wondering which aspect of chivalry it was to compete in an event one was hosting and sponsoring an event." At this ser Gareth replied, "There is a word: hospitality. To welcome one into one's own life and activities," and then turned to continue addressing the whole of those gathered. The auburn-eyed ser spoke to ser Gareth a second time, asking, "And that has to deal with his organizing the event and completing for a prize I will assume he picked out would be that in what way?" It was at this point that ser Gareth entreated upon the ser, who revealed his name to be Morley, to remain silent "in respect of the progress of the Tournament," because "this is not a philosophical debating hall, but a practice hall for dueling." Ser Morley continued to comment on the selection of competitors, their chosen opponents, and of ser Harabec: "he apparently did decide whom his opponent would be which he bested quite easily ... I simply felt it best to point out an injustice I saw as soon as possible over waiting for him to win and then bring such information to light." The Preceptor regarded ser Morley, explaining that sera Elsie (who had lost against ser Harabec earlier in the tournament as detailed in this chronicle) was, in sooth, not easily bested and that the order of the tournament was made at random.

In the midst of ser Gareth's clarification regarding the duels that would take place during the following portion of the tournament, ser Morley was reported as exchanging comments with the present Armswomen, who asked of him and commented, "How did you become so knowledgeble about all our duels anyway? How do you know who has superior skills?", "How many duels have you participated in ser?" (Armswoman Judith), and "If the sword does nae strike ye down then surely thy arrogance will be the death of ye" (Armswoman Airlia). In response to Armswoman Airlia ser Morley was heard to have said: "Watching one's words is always wise advice. Whilst today I am but a commoner things change," while in the background ser Gareth concluded his clarification and surmised, "So let it be known, ser Morley holds contempt for myself, and for all those present this day, by my assertion and observation."

"Art thou contemptuous of this event?" ser Gareth asked ser Morley, wanting to know if he had perhaps misinterpretted the ser's actions. Ser Morley answered, looking into ser Gareth's eyes, "You wish me to answer if I hold contempt for one exiled from the knights, the nobility, the royalty of the Inner Bailey?" Ser Gareth explained that he was asking more than just that, referring to ser Morley's interruptions of the tournament's "progress by verbal instigation." Deferring to Gareth as Marshal, though citing that he was in exile from the Inner Bailey, ser Morley again expressed his acceptance of the Marshal's judgement though he did not care if ser Gareth agreed or not with his assessment of the "injustice." "You will continue this regardless and I have certainly accepted your judgement as Marashal," said ser Morley with a wave of his hand, "I never claimed to wish to hold up the proceedings. Simple to point out an injustice I saw." A number of other comments were made at this point, as Mistress Faith revealed in her interview, when ser Gareth asked once more for silence and the tournament resumed.

The tournament's first day was drawing to a close, the audience about disperse, when ser Morley addressed the Preceptor and ser Gareth: "As intesting as this all was, I doubt you wish me there. I shall be gallant and abide by those wises," to which ser Gareth responded with the issue of a challenge "for insultation," stating that in the stead of said duel he would likewise accept an apology from the ser. To ser Gareth, ser Morley smirked, "The rules of chivalry and honor will not allow me to duel you. Surely I might have to defend my life with enough force that you could be seriously injured," and ser Gareth offered his surmisal: "Then so let it be known that ser Morley was given the chance to defend his honor, and -- turned it down."

"You wish seriously to be publically embarrassed?" ser Morley asked ser Gareth, as he took a step forward into the room, "I can demonstrate quite easily why there is no honor in my soundly beating you. From what I have seen of the skill in dueling here, I could best any in this room hardly trying." Ser Gareth, who was by then ready to excuse himself, said to ser Morley, "Thou may demonstrate against Air. I am done with thee. Thou hast turned down thy chance. I shalll not proffer it a second time. I have no time to waste with those who do not recognize the rules of chivalry nor the Code Duello," tilted his hat to the hall and made his way to exit. The volleying continued. Ser Morley laughed then at ser Gareth, calling him a coward, and pointing out, "No wonder you were exiled."

Reffering to this second insult, ser Gareth turned to ser Morley, saying "Let us see if thou may follow Code Duello," saying further to the ser that, "For thou may prove thou art better with a blade, and yet also prove thyself an ass." Dismissing ser Gareth again with a wave of his hand, ser Morley replied, "I would be more than willing to prove such. But apparently this exile feels he must bleed for me to prove myself ... There is another way, though I would think practice swords would demonstrate quite easily." As it was explained to me during an interview, ser Gareth turned to ser Morley, and proceeded by calling him names: "See? I am not bound by the Quest any more, so I can call the an insufferable ass. A pompous buffoon, a braggart, a thug, and a moron."

Exhibiting a "composed" demeanor, as Mistress Faith recalled in her interview, ser Morley asked ser Gareth if he would truly like to call him such, to which ser Gareth insisted that, yes, he did. Taking a seat then on a bench, ser Morley proceeded to remove the brown boots and a gold anklet he was wearing. In removing the anklet, the ser once known as Morley instantly changed in his appearance and became His Highness, Prince Bertram. The startled onlookers quickly kneeled before the Prince, many of them aghast and confused. "Would you care to repeat your words for the Armswoman?" asked His Highness, still addressing the now kneeling ser Gareth, "You still feel I do not follow the Code Duello by not accepting your challenge? Is there a single person here whom feels they could best ME? Even have a chance?" the Prince continued with a wave of his hand. "Gareth tells Prince Bertram, "So let it be known that upon this day, unknowingly I did call Your Highness an insufferable ass. A pompous buffoon, a braggart, a thug, and a moron," averred ser Gareth, gazing at His Highness, "Also one who is ignorant, spiteful, and pretentious ... All heard my words. And I would be dishonorable to deny I spoke them, Your Highness."

Lifting to indicate the gold bracelet he held in his hand, His Royal Highness kindly explained to the Practice hall: "My mother gifted me this magical anklet so I could observe this bailey and it's people as the one known as Morley. To find a few people whom I felt she should met." Turning his gaze then to ser Gareth, the Prince continued, "Though my unveiling was to be at Court. You did force my hand," ser Gareth bowing to His Highness and replying, "For that, Your Highness, you have my proffer of apology in full." Speaking once again, His Highness explained further, "I hardly could accept a duel from likes of you for you would have no chance. I was prepared to prove such with practice blades. Yet you called out for blood," and moved to close the southern door to the practice hall. "I trust you all shall keep this a secret as if your lives depend upon it. I wish those invited to still be somewhat surprised," his Highness requested of those present, and was met with solemn, affirmative vows that this happening would not be made known until after Court. To my knowledge, as I was made aware of ser Morleyís true identity at Her Majestyís Court held only last night and not before, the vow was kept and the secret maintained.

(continued)

- Chronicler -

Knowledge is a weapon.
    I intend to be formidably armed.

"I cared not if it was decided if it was decided Harabec should compete or not. I simply pointed out what I observed. I would note that the one called Tarriq obviously had not a chance against him. Any whom doubted that seeing how quickly he was bested, should learn more about dueling," stated his Highness with another wave of his hand, "This is your competition, but you claim it to be in the heart of chivalry. How much of the actions of those here followed that? Do you feel you behaved with compassion to one you thought was new and raised a point?" the Prince added, looking then to Armswomen Airlia and Judith. Turning his gaze to ser Gareth, he also asked, "And humility? Or was it blood at what you perceived to be insult?" Addressing the Battle Guild's Preceptor, the Prince further inquired, "Perhaps a lack of greed at not wishing to gain the prize or show off your skill but to hold an event for others to participate in?"

His Highness went on to mention that he indeed would have bested ser Gareth in a duel, would he have complied to such, and asked the ser if he knew why Knights do not duel commoners, and with this why would it speak less of the Knight's honor? Ser Gareth replied to the Prince, "For a Knight serves the Queen, and stands for the protection of Her People. A knight need stand to defend his leige's people by law, and in justice ... to defend those weaker and less in station, and not abuse them." His Highness nodded to ser Gareth as he shed more light on ser Gareth's answer, "I would win. There would be no contest for I have spent centuries in practice. Learning from various knights, and the occassional lesson from Lord Boreas. You would show great honor in such a duel for even entering into such a oneside conflict. Where I would be perceived as bullying my view," and once again waved his hand, now referring to Armswomen Airlia and Judith, and elluded to the laws against insulting a Knight. "I believe you are the senior most Armswoman. I will defer to your judgement," his Highness ascertained, turning to face Armswoman Judith, "I would believe being an exile from the Inner Bailey would have been enough to have taught him a bit of humility. Though apparently he is seen as a bit of an expert on the subjects inherent to the Inner Bailey. I am willing to be lenient if the Armswoman wishes it. And if she feels to make an example of him, I will ask any punishment hold until after this contest has been completed. His actions should not harm all involved in this valiant attempt."

His Highness, Prince Bertram, took his seat on the bench, replaced the gold anklet, and became as the ser Morley once more. Having made her decision on the matter regarding ser Gareth's punishment for unknowingly insulting a Knight, Armswoman Judith spoke to his Highness, "I think that he has been greatly chastised by your words your Highness," and asked if he would like ser Gareth to receive a flogging. Appearing to muse on the subject momentarily, the Prince, now having adopted the image of ser Morley, said, "At the time of his insults he did not know who I was. I do not feel he should have treated someone but a few weeks out of wrappings as he did, but such is not against the law ... Not all might be as understanding as I have been these past weeks." The rest of ser Garethís clarifications were made at this time, interspersed with passing conversation made between ser Morley and others in the practice hall, and the tournamentís first day drew to a close.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the Readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the gentle Denizenry of our Queen's Realm;

-- sera Aislinn
    Assistant Chronicler

Chronicle XXIX

- Chronicler -

Knowledge is a weapon.
    I intend to be formidably armed.

Comment

Working...
    X