X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fantasy Ball, 18thYRA

Twenty-Third Day of the Eighth Moon,
    Eighteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance to the will of Her Majesty, and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of
    The Fantasy Ball, 18thYRA.

Costumes of all shapes and sizes were the focus at the annual Fantasy Ball hosted by the Outer Bailey Library. The Ball began on the 20th Day of the 8th Moon at the ninth late bell. Before entering the theatre, guests were given a lovely visual of art. Three, large backdrop paintings of mythical themes decorated the hall outside the theatre, each crafted by Royal Handmaiden and Patron to the Outer Library, Mistress Brook. The first revealed a painting that resembles a night sky in which small, luminous fairies fluttered about. From a distance, they could easily be mistaken as stars, but upon closer inspection, the finer details were seen. The other two backdrops included paintings of a Peryton and a Mermaid.

Once inside the theatre, a large faux tree decorated with powder blue streamers stood in the center of the stage commanding the attention of the guests. Other decorations of powder blue and dusky-copper were neatly strung about the room. In attendance included Lord Vestio, Mistresses Ezraella and Theresa, seras Elora and Karra, Master Trisan, and sers Quinlan, Chrestian, and Malatrios.

The theme of the evening was mythical creatures and while that theme was not followed by everyone, it was clear through their cheerful chatter and merry laughter that they all enjoyed each other, costume or not. The two hostesses of the evening wore a frightening Banshee costume (Mistress Adeline) and a glamorous Unicorn Princess costume (Sera Calamity). Together they greeted guests as they arrived while passed out gift bags that contained a book about mythical creatures, written by the both of them, as well as a charm and a figurine in the shape of a specific creature.

In addition to those gifts, Mistress Adeline also held a gryphon shaped wooden box that contained various mythical stuffed toys that she allowed all to take from. However, the males of the evening were in for a shock when a soul shattering scream erupted from the Mistress upon them taking a toy. The scene appeared to either amuse or startle the attendees.

Once all were fully greeted and settled, sera Calamity announced a song she would sing that evening. With her viol in hand, she started a slow melody that would soon accompany her soft, sympathetic voice.

~ A Song to the Siren ~

On the floating shipless oceans
    I did all my best to smile
    'til your singing eyes and fingers
    Drew me loving to your isle

And you sang, sail to me, sail to me, let me enfold you
    Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
    Were you hare when I was fox
    Now my foolish boat is leaning
    Broken lovelorn on your rocks

For you sing, touch me not, touch me not, come back tomorrow
    Oh my heart, oh my heart shies from the sorrow

Oh, I was puzzled as the newborn child
    I was riddled at the tide
    Should I stand amid the breakers?
    Or should I lie with death my bride

Hear me sing, swim to me, swim to me, let me enfold you
    Here I am, here I am, waiting to hold you

As soon as she concluded the song, the attendees rewarded her with an applause and compliments which followed. She then continued to play more music as several pairs went to the stage to dance. Near the end of the Ball, Mistress Adeline asked for all in attendance to focus on her for an announcement.

"I wished to announce this here, mostly because it will be awkward for her, but also because I believe she deserves an audience," she began with a smile to sera Calamity.

"From this day, sera Calamity is now the new Head Librarian of Outer Bailey. She has been with me from the start and I've found her to be hard-working, generous, patient, and intelligent. It pleases me that I can pass it on to someone such as her as she has my trust completely."

With that said, she passed on a dark-bronze pin in the shape of an open book that was inscribed 'Head Librarian'. Everyone once again applauded sera Calamity as a collection of "Congratulations!" rang through the theatre. The rest of the evening concluded with socializing and a prize of a hundred coins to the best costume which went to ser Quinlan for his amusing, ghost costume.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm,

Yazmin Reymess
    Senior Chronicler

Working...
X