X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The awakening of the Mysterious Mask

First day, Tenth Moon,
    Eighteenth Year of the Recent Awakenings,

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as a Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of the awakening of the Mysterious Mask.

The arrival of a masked man in the Outer Bailey late in the afternoon hours of the first day of the Tenth Moon led to an intriguing version of the Game of Answers for those present.

Wearing a mysterious mask, one that defied all logic and continually shifted visages representing the emotions, the man -- tall and tanned, wearing comfortable but utilarian clothing -- introduced himself to all as the Mysterious Mask.

His awakening appeared to be triggered by the reading of a damaged red book, recovered by the orange kitten Nicholi, who is also called by the name Fireball.

An overwhelming urge summoned awakened individuals to the Outer Bailey's refectory, where the Mysterious Mask awaited. Of his face nothing could be seen except his bright green eyes.

Through discussion it became apparent the Mask was a sentient being bonded to the man, and that the Mask appeared to be the one controlling the body. Whether or not this Lahderic -- as named by the Mask -- was conscious or a prisoner is not known.

The eyes behind the mask seemed to be able to bore into the souls of those whose eyes he gazed into, compelling truths from the owners' lips. It was information the Mask seemed to be after, and though he appeared to mean no apparent harm, left an uneasy and distrustful feeling in the hearts of many.

Its questions seemed to focus on much of the same theme, which was that of names, hopes and dreams, failures and the ferreting out of lies. As he asked questions, the man allowed questions to be asked -- saying he would tell the truth. However, he then contradicted himself by noting that everyone lies, and indeed was caught in at least three lies throughout the evening.

Of those the Mask appeared to use its powers to compel were sera Lexiana, the first of whom the Mask asked questions, and Mistress Adeline. Of those whose names were requested, most gave up without second thought, though some withheld them.

Only one person remained entirely silent whenever asked a question, refusing to play the Mask's game.

Sera Lexiana was granted a boon, to be redeemed when she decides upon it, and the Office of the Chronicler was granted an eventual evening of questions with the Mask and the man it rides, who is named Lehderic according to the Mask.

Though no harm came to the nearly fifteen denizens, from both Inner and Outer Baileys, who came to inspect the unusual visitor, time will only reveal what purpose and potential boon or curse he may bring.

This Chronicler only suggests that denizens who encounter this being be wary and reticent with information shared until its purpose is better known.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

sera Euphelia Noronos
    Senior Chronicler
    Last edited by Euphelia; 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM.
Working...
X