X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Duel Between Lord Vestio and Duke Lucus

2nd Day of the Eleventh Moon,
    Eighteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of the Duel Between Lord Vestio and Duke Lucus.

At the tolling of the tenth late bell in the Outer Bailey practice hall, denizens of three baileys consisting of Outer, Inner, and Under gathered to witness the duel between Lord Vestio, former Lord Marshal and peer of the Winter Court and Duke Lucus, Duke of Rumiss. Both His Lordship and the Duke were flanked with entourages, who solemnly took their places in the practice hall and awaited the proceedings, while the seconds of both the Duke and Lord prepared.

To observe that the condition of no magical enchantment be utilized by either party, the Royal Sorceress Blodwen was thanked by the Duke of Rumiss, saying that her services were appreciated and that His Lordship, Lord Vestio, was "very adamant about no magic being used."

Before further formalities began, Lord Vestio wished to speak. Bowing before Duchess Oriana of Rumiss, he thanked her for returning his body to the surface. "I should have thanked you more promptly, and in the appropriate way," he respectfully spoke. He then turned to the Duke, including him by speaking his thanks in any hand he had as well in the recovery. The Duke replied that he did so as a "servant of the Crown" as the treaty compelled him.

Both weapons were then presented by the seconds of both parties. Lord Vestio's second, Master Osric, presented His Lordship's steel shortsword, which was inspected by ser Atmos. Ser Atmos, the second of the Duke of Rumiss, assented that the sword was sufficient and likewise presented a pair of dark steel shortswords for the Master's eyes, which were similarly found with no issues. However, Duke Lucus declined one of the swords, stating that he would only be utilizing a single shortsword in the duel with Lord Vestio, a fact written to Court Chronicler Euphelia in an earlier missive stating that he would match Lord Vestio so as "not to appear to have an unfair advantage."

Similarly, the Royal Sorceress verified that neither weapon was enchanted, while the Duchess of Rumiss bestowed onto her Duke an amulet of silver and bronze knotwork. The Duke responded by gracing her knuckles with a kiss, for her favour. After inspecting both Lord Vestio and the Duke Lucus for any magical enhancement, the Royal Sorceress declared that none would "melt today, at least from magic" while the center of the room was cleared for the duel.

Both individuals presented properly with a salute before the other, before beginning. With a quick forward thrust, the Duke began; the former Lord Marshall struggling briefly before presenting a valiant defense against the Duke's quick and powerful strikes. Both individuals traded rapid counterattacks, quick thrusts coupled with powerful lunges, neither wishing to present a single opening to the other. However, the duel did not last very long, with Duke Lucus using a deft faint to throw off the defensive of Lord Vestio before making an apt strike to the nobleman's right ankle. Drawing swift blood, the Duke retracted his blade and the duel was halted, with Lord Vestio's second and the physician on hand, Doctor Dolph, attending to his wound.

Keeping to his feet, and bleeding slightly from the cut on his ankle, Lord Vestio then properly bowed to Duke Lucus, and sheathed his blade. The Duke similarly returned his blade to his second, as the Lord spoke. He thanked the Royal Sorceress for her services, and complimented the Duke, insuring that his terms would be upheld.

His Grace concluded the evening by speaking, "I consider our matter of honour concluded, all previous insults and grudges to be buried, in accordance with the Code Duello." Lord Vestio and his House, along with the Royal Chief of Medicine, returned to the Inner Bailey to tend to his wound while the Duke and Duchess and their retainers likewise returned.

This Chronicler would like to thank ser Gareth, Lieutenant Gunn, and sera Elora for their help on details.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me though discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm,

Setsuna Takahashi
    Junior Chronicler
    Last edited by Euphelia; 11-07-2017, 02:10 PM.
Working...
X