X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Jeffery's Heroic demise

Fourteenth day of the Twelfth Moon,
    Eighteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Chronicler of the Court, I hereby submit the account of Master Jeffery's Heroic demise. This Chronicle is part of the Triangle and the Black Dame series.

The Realm of Marrach is mourning the death of Master Jeffery at the blade of the Black Dame, but his death was a most noble and knowing sacrifice on his part to save the lives of many innocents.

The Master was slain in one-on-one combat with the Black Dame, the result of a choice given to him by the ebon-armored revenant. She informed Master Jeffery that he had but one choice: to enter combat with her, or watch her slay the innocents gathered on the bridge.

Knowing that the Black Dame -- now believed to be Dame Keterin from before the Recent Awakenings -- was very much his master in the blade, Master Jeffery did not hesitate to make the choice he knew would be fatal for him. He chose combat with the Dame knowing he would be slain, to save the lives of others.

Despite the Master's valiant efforts, the Dame overpowered him, ensuring his most brutal and terrible death.

"It was bloody and merciless," recalled Mistress Merrynn, a witness to Master Jeffery's terrible sacrifice. Even almost a full day after, she remains shaken by the brutal and bloody combat.

According to the Mistress, who is an equerry in Lady Amoret's household, the chain of events leading to Master Jeffery's unfortunate demise began with a feeling of rage that swept through the Upper Baileys just past the noon bell on the fourteenth day of the Twelfth Moon. The equerry, also a dedicated healer, decided to head to the Outer Bailey infirmary to check on the patients because, after that rage surge, she said "she did not want them to be alone."

However, before Mistress Merrynn could even cross over the bridge to the Outer, the Black Dame appeared before her and Mistress Adeline, who was with the equerry.

"Adeline and I ran like hell back (to the centre of the bridge)," Mistress Merrynn said, noting she knew she was no match for the Dame. "I'm a redhead with a temper, not a moron."

There were many people at the bridge centre, including Dame Hannah, Army Lieutenants Gunn and Natasha, Master Jeffery, Mistress Theresa, seras Meryl, Caillean and Sofya, ser Meoris, and now the two mistresses Adeline and Merrynn. When the Dame followed, "everyone engaged her, trying to get her to talk," Mistress Merrynn recalled.

The Dame avoided some questions, such as those inquiring if she was Dame Keterin. One thing the Dame was clear about, though, was that she believed Lord Bernier to be the "enemy," stating that Master Jeffery -- who is in his Lordship's household -- works for the enemy. It also explains why she previously targeted the sorceress Kamilah, who is in the same household.

At this juncture, the Dame made Master Jeffery an offer. If he would duel her and win, she would return sera Kamilah's ring to him. If he refused the duel, she would kill everyone present.

"Jeffery knew what he had to do," Mistress Merrynn recalled. "He expected it, I think."

The two engaged in a frightful duel, one which Master Jeffery lost. With his last breath, he threw a 'violent violet,' a violet-coloured explosive liquid in a vial, at the Dame, the explosion blasting her helmet from her head. Then, he died and before the others could reach the Dame, she vanished.

While witnesses and friends mourn Master Jeffery's death, they await his return from the necromancer's lair so they can thank him for his noble sacrifice. But Mistress Merrynn noted Master Jeffery wasn't the only brave soul upon the bridge centre that night.

"It was everyone," she said. "Everyone was brave in their own way. Not one person wanted him to fight alone. And it was hard to not fight with him."

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me though discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm,

Euphelia Noronos
    Chronicler of the Court
Working...
X