Announcement

Collapse

Co-Lo Stability Problems

Unfortunately, our co-lo had some stability problems Friday morning.

First up, they lost all of their connectivity to the facility that holds all of our games. This took them about 40 minutes to diagnose and a bit longer to restore.

Much more astonishingly, they rebooted all of their machines (which means all of our machines) while they were fixing the problem, with no notice. This probably had minimal repercussions on the SkotOS games (Marrach, Ironclaw, Lazarus, and Lovecraft). There may have been a rollback of an hour or two.

TEC and Grendel's Revenge are more troublesome. TEC will suffer a rollback of 10 hours, to midnight (PT) last night, since the unannounced reboot happened one hour before the next backups. GR suffered a more complete failure. We're being forced to restore the entire machine from its backups, then we'll need to restore the game from the backups stored within that backup. The lineup of dates look promising (which is how we laid them out, 'lo these many years ago), so the hope is that we'll only suffer a 7 hour rollback, to the 3am (PT) game backup, but it's a bit dicey at the moment.

Apologies for the inconvenience; we're now making sure everything is stable, and we're looking into whether our most recent upgrades to TEC will support increasing the backups to every 6 hours.

Edit: The GR problem is proving even more intractable than hoped. As best I can tell, our colo is still having some issues because I can't boot the first restore I made of GR and I can't build a new node either. I expect this will just clear when they get their act together, but in the meantime I'm not able to get GR back online until they fix these problems.
See more
See less

The Nineteenth Year's Winter Ball

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nineteenth Year's Winter Ball

Tenth day of the Second Moon,
    Nineteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Chronicler of the Court, I hereby submit the account of the
    Nineteenth Year's Winter Ball.

In rare form, the Inner Bailey society social event of the year, the Winter Ball, went off without hitch and disaster, with the only concerns of the attendees being if their outfits were on point.

The Black-Ice Winter Ball, hosted by mistresses Josie and Adeline on behalf of Ladies Sinvy and Amoret, was a glittering parade of fancy jewels and delicate gowns, all in wintry white and black shades.

The resplendent foods and drinks were augmented by new vintages prepared by Lady Sinvy, with Night Rose making its debut for the first time. The other new vintages included the already-released Unicorn's Blood, Night Owl, Lico and Domina.

Her Royal Majesty, Queen Vivienne, was the centre of attention at the ball, attended by Her Husband, Lord Boreas, and the Royal households. Lady Sinvy presented the first-ever bottle of Night Rose to Her Majesty.

Sera Caillean of the Unity of Arts provided harp music throughout the evening, her delicately understated performance ensuring that all were in pleasant mood and fine fettle.

In honour of Her Royal Majesty, Mistress Josie -- also Mistress of Entertainments -- recited a poem, titled Her Belief is Enough, included here:
    I was but a lonely, forgotten soul,
    Brought alive by Her will,
    Sorely under-equipped,
    With a mysterious purpose to fulfill.
    Drifting through the halls,
    Pondering, 'What shall I be?
    It must be something spectacular
    To match Her belief in me.

A number of paths I have trod,
    Looking to find my place,
    Awash in a sea of pretenders,
    Kind only to my face.

Each trial has been a lesson,
    A heart too soft turned tough;
    Each lesson leading to the realization,
    That Her belief in me is enough.

Though I be not perfect,
    Riddled with undesirable flaws,
    I work to embrace the potential She sees,
    Her pleasure my only cause.

I gently wrap myself in Her warmth,
    Shield my heart with Her faith and Her light;
    Put aside all my fears, worries, and tears,
    And become a candle in the night.

May I help show the way to others,
    Embolden their souls, plant a confident seed,
    That they might disregard the doubts of the rest,
    And understand Her belief is all we need.
    Following Mistress Josie's warmly-received poem, Sir Donovon took a turn at the fortepiano, his nimble fingers flying over its ivory keys and filling the Avalonian Ballroom with beautiful, bright music.

The music moved Her Royal Majesty, but She chose then to depart, to allow Her Court to make merry without Her overwhelming, regal presence. Before She departed, though, She had kind words to say.

"We are most pleased and touched that all of you could join Us this evening, during Our most important celebration of Winter and the Winter Court," Queen Vivienne told the gathered aristocracy. "We are grateful to have been able to gather here once more in Our Avalonian ball room, for the first time in some years since it was lost to Us."

Her icy cerulean eyes swept the gathered faces then, all turned to Her, despite the flying acrobats swinging from the majestic rings and trapeze high above all.

"We know these past moons have seen trying times for us all, and yet We know that through determination and loyalty to one another that we will all see it through and emerge stronger and better for the trials we face together," the Queen said, Her voice carrying with ease to all who listened. "You have Our gratitude for standing by Us in these times."

With that, She and Her consort, Lord Boreas, departed the ball room with much of their retinues, though some elected to remain behind and enjoy the festivities, which included games, music and more, late into the evening.

The finest of the court came to the ball, including but not limited to the Queen and Consort, Ladies Charmiam and Sinvy, Lord Vestio, Dames Hannah and Umichan, Sirs Darvius and Donovon, Mistresses Aloria, Euphelia, Irene, Natasha, Rayna, Adeline, Josie and Merrynn, Masters Dolph and Emerick, seras Caillean, Kimmi, Elora and Seraphus, and sers Brynden and Meoris.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me though discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm,

Euphelia Noronos
    Chronicler of the Court
Working...
X