X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tourney of Prowess and Finesse

Twenty Seventh day of the Eleventh Moon,
    Nineteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of
    The Tourney of Prowess and Finesse.

On the afternoon of Saturn's the seventeenth day of the eleventh moon, swords were heard clashing in the Practice Hall. This was not the usual training session, for those present were gathered to witness or compete in the Outer Bailey Tourney of Prowess and Finesse. Though this was a tourney for the Outer Bailey, it was honoured by the presence of one of Her Majesty's ordained knights and several courtiers.

Hosted by sera Vasilisa, the tourney commenced at the fourth late bell. Vasilisa said she held the tourney because she likes doing events for the Outer Bailey, "showing people you don't need to be boxed into specific guilds, houses, or positions to do things. So it's not for any official guild or house, it's just purely for the Outer."

Mistress Josie, Patron of the Duelists and Squire to Dame Galatea, served as Marshal. The Competitors were sera Irial, Master Meoris, ser Marcus, sera Caillean and ser Melle. Dame Eeva provided practice weapons for each type of fighter, including rapiers, spears, shortswords, longsword, and axes.

Sera Vasilisa opened the tourney by announcing the competitors and the prizes, "I will pick their names at random from my package and they will have the best of three until there is a first place winner. The prizes for first place include three hundred and fifty [coins], a fire oak practice sword set, two fire oak planks for themselves, and a gold trophy which will have their name engraved. The second place prize is two hundred coins, a black oak sword set, two black oak planks, and a silver trophy like the gold."

Round I

First to be drawn were Caillean and Irial who chose steel practice longswords. Caillean defeated Irial with a well-timed cleave in both the first and second bout. Thus the first match went to Caillean and she passed into the second round.

Next were Marcus who wielded an eerie larch practice longsword and Meoris who chose a slender silver maple practice longsword. The first bout when to Marcus who responded to a feint from Meoris with an expert cut. The second bout was Meoris's who tried a reckless feint which Marcus did not see coming and Meoris followed this successful strategy in the third bout when ser Marcus again fell for Meoris's feint manoeuvre. Thus Meoris moved into the second round.

The third couple to take to the floor were Vasilisa and Melle who used steel practice longswords. Melle took the first bout with a thrust and the second bout with a cut against Vasilisa and so he also passed into the second round.

Round II

Caillean and Meoris faced each other for the second round of the tourney choosing steel practice rapiers. Caillean was defeated by a jab from Meoris in the first bout and missed a feint from Meoris in the second who thusly moved into the finals.

Final Round

For the final round, ser Melle and Meoris faced each other with flowing larch practice longsword and slender silver maple practice longsword respectively. The first bout went to Melle with a practiced thrust and the second bout to Melle with a competent cut. Thus the match went to Melle.

Mistress Josie then formally announced, "As witnessed, first place for this Outer Bailey Tournament of Prowess and Finesse goes to ser Melle, followed in second place by Master Meoris. Thank you to everyone who came and participated by display of your talents and hard work."

Sera Vasilisa presented the trophies and prizes to ser Melle and Master Meoris while the Royal Provost, Sir Petris stated, "Thank you for holding this event and keeping it honorable. It was well enough done."

Present were Sir Petris, Doctor Dolph, Mistress Josie, Mistress Merrynn, ser Melle, sera Diana, ser Marcus, Master Colby, Master Meoris, sera Vasilisa, sera Esta, sera Caillean, ser Halvard, sera Meryl, ser Kievn, sera Irial and this chronicler.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me through discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Sera Tine
    Junior Chronicler
    Last edited by Tine; 11-27-2018, 09:07 PM.

Tine
    Junior Chronicler
    Unity Harlequin
    Administrative Assistant to Doctor Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X