Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Appearance of the Yule Tree

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appearance of the Yule Tree

Twentyseventh day of the Twelfth Moon,
    Nineteenth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of
    the Appearance of the Yule Tree.

Residents of the Outer Bailey were surprised and delighted at the appearance of a large tree in the Outer Bailey courtyard at the stroke of midnight leading into the 25th day of this moon.

It is a giant, towering evergreen tree, easily the height of twelve men. It is majestic and inspiring. The trunk has been trimmed clean of branches to just above the ground where it then spreads its pine-covered arms nearly twenty feet outward. The branches of the tree are speckled with a dusting of fine winter snow. It has garlands of dark red berries, striped red and white bows and ribbons, and various woodland themed ornaments hang from its branches.

An attempt to add candles to the tree resulted in the branches of the tree moving gently, blocking this chronicler from placing a candle in the boughs. Sera Meryl, one of the castleís sorcerors, said, "When I look at the tree, it is covered in shimmering lights of magic, but it isn't like sorcery or Fae magic. It's much more primal. It looks like thousands and thousands of little flickering lights. And I think it is the magic of belief. That it glows that way, just because people keep Yule in their hearts."

Speculation has been rife that the tree may have come from Princess Maeveenís magic and may be connected with her Yule tales of Krampus and Klaus. Others say a tree has appeared around Yule time each year and that the first year it showed up, the Lord Chamberlain told a story about the first Yule they had here on the mountain.

"The first Yule happened even before there was a keep here. Her Majesty and her comrades were few, and the mountain was cold. If I recall correctly Sir Launfal was much younger then and went down the mountain and brought back a tree. Which they set up, in camp, and decorated with little things that they had. It was not much, but the love was real."

In past years when there has been a tree at Yule time, it has stayed for about a week. Readers are encouraged to visit the Outer Bailey courtyard to admire this graceful evergreen while it is still here.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me through discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Sera Tine
    Junior Chronicler

Tine
    Senior Chronicler
    Secretary to Lord Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X