Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

The Tale of the Tanabata Stars

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tale of the Tanabata Stars

2nd Day of the First Moon,
    Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the Tale of the Tanabata Stars.

On the evening of the nineteenth year, ebbing to the beginning of the end of the second full decade since recent awakenings Lady Charmiam invited all those who would see in the New Year, to a gathering at her residence with the aim of raising a glass at midnight.

During this social activity, her ladyship shared a story about one reason for celebrating the day and mentioned that last time she told the story, there had been a meteor shower.

The tale as such has been shared here:

The Tanabata Stars

The great god of the firmament had a lovely daughter, Tanabata-tsume, who passed her days in weaving garments for her august parent. She rejoiced in her work, and thought that there was no greater pleasure than the pleasure of weaving.

But one day, as she sat before her loom at the door of her heavenly dwelling, she saw a handsome peasant lad pass by, leading an ox, and you know what happened. She fell in love with him.

And unusually for such tales, her father did not object. Her august parent, divining her secret wish, gave her the youth for a husband. But the wedded lovers became -too- fond of each other, and neglected their duty to the god of the firmament.

But with the neglect of the newlyweds, the sound of the shuttle was no longer heard, and the ox wandered, unheeded, over the plains of heaven. Therefore the great god was displeased, and he separated the pair.

Fathers and especially gods, can be vengeful in this way. The young couple were sentenced to live thereafter apart, with the River of Heaven between them, but so great was their love for each other that her father had pity and permitted them to see each other only once a year.

On that one night of the year, when the lovers were allowed to be together, the bird of heaven would spread its wings and create a bridge and by means of that bridge the lovers could meet and satisfy their passion for each other.

Their love remains immortally young and eternally patient and they fulfill their duties each day, weaving and caring for the oxen, and dreaming of the night they will share.

This is the story of the Tanabata stars. In celebration of this tale and the wonder of such an eternal love. Food and drink is shared in dedication to the two lovers.
    Present at the story-telling were Mistress Tristana, ser Bartley, ser Edstave, sera Kona and sera Taite. The Office of the Chronicler thanks ser Bartley for the transcription of the above tale.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me though discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm,

Setsuna Takahashi
    Senior Chronicler
Working...
X