X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victor and the Leeches

Eighteenth day of the Second Moon,
    Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of
    Victor and the Leeches.

Unless ill or injured, most people have not visited the Infirmary. At a recent Healers open bell an injured guest was treated while this chronicler was present. Patient confidentiality is professionally maintained, but in this instance, the Royal Chief of Medicine, the duty nurse and the the patient have all given their permission for this chronicle to be written.

On the thirtieth day of the first moon, Nurse Diana was explaining how she sets up the Infirmary so that she may offer refreshment to visitors, tend to the sick, mend the wounded or answer questions for those interested in becoming a Healer. The Royal Chief of Medicine, Doctor Dolph, arrived for a brief visit and had barely seated himself when ser Victor arrived with some pale green moss for the Healers. It glowed with a faint yellow light and Victor said he had found it growing wild in the Spider Caves.

Almost in passing, ser Victor mentioned that he could use some “patching up” and touched his breastbone. Removing his shirt revealed horrible bruising on his chest which had happened when he lost his footing and fell into the spider caves. Palpating the wound and then listening to his chest with a conical device, Nurse Diana determined that he had broken some ribs and decided to first treat the injury with leeches to drain off some of the blood and fluid in his chest.

Doctor Dolph lent his assistance by making poultices with a green salve that smelled like cucumbers. He then took his leave, assuring Victor of his confidence in Diana’s healing skills. Nurse Diana treated the patient gently and professionally. She took three long thin, flat leeches from a jar and secured them to Victor's chest. The leeches clamped down onto the bare and bruised flesh and began to hungrily suck blood.

After a time, when the leeches became fat, bloated and lazy and seemed to have finished feeding, they were removed and replaced in their jar. Applying her listening device to Victor’s back, Nurse Diana repeated that he had broken ribs and must stay bandaged for three days at least. She applied one of the poultices to help with the healing and the pain and bound it with a field bandage to keep it in place, concluding the treatment.

The Infirmary is located above the Gate Courtyard, beside the Practice Hall. There is no charge for treatment. Open bells are posted on the bulletin board and in times of emergency, Healers can be contacted by use of the Healers whistle.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me through discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Sera Tine
    Senior Chronicler

Tine
    Senior Chronicler
    Assistant to Doctor Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X