Fourth day of the Third Moon,
Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of Hand of Five Strikes.

For the last two weeks there have been occasional feelings of dread and icy cold, terrible fear and panic. This evening, what was dreaded came to pass with the abduction of at least two of Her Majesty’s guests.

The first suspicions that the Hand of Five might once more be active, came on the twenty-first day of the second moon, when two sorcerers, seras Mallegra and Meryl, first experienced a dreadful fear. Sorcerers are known to be sensitive to such things long before others. Since then, feelings of extreme cold and deathly fear have been felt in both baileys by many people. Terrible cold and unbearable fear are recognised as the weapons of the wraith known as Jallon, one of the Hand of Five.

This evening, two of the castle’s residents were taken. Sera Kona was in the Practice Hall when there was a crackle of frost in the air, combined with palpable fear and panic, then a dark green flash. When the flash subsided, she was gone. A short time later, the Army, pages and Healers were alerted that Lady Charmiam was in distress when she signalled them through the use of various signalling devices. Nurse Diana said, ‘It flashes an image in our minds so we can see where they are. But t'is not a beacon. If we do not know the place... then we must search. And the place Lady Charmiam was in was small, dark, windowless and grim."

Searches were mounted to no avail. A plan has been developed by Dame Galatea, Captain of the Royal Army, to keep the remaining residents safe. Larch and amber have been called for and guests are advised to remain in company at all times. Searches will continue to recover the missing guests.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me through discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Sera Tine
Senior Chronicler