Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

The defeat of the Blue Wraith and rescue of the stolen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The defeat of the Blue Wraith and rescue of the stolen

Sixth day of the Third Moon,
    Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Chronicler of the Court, I hereby submit the account of
    the defeat of the Blue Wraith and rescue of the stolen.

A bold plan executed by the Royal Sorceress, Mistress Blodwen and her novitiate, sera Meryl, and the Captain of the Royal Guard, Dame Galatea, and her lieutenant, ser Adahn, resulted not only in the successful rescue of seven of the eight denizens kidnapped by the blue wraith, Jallon, but also in what appears to be his destruction and defeat.

"I do not know if the wraith is truly 'dead' this time, but it no longer has its focus," Dame Galatea said, as the rescued recouperated amongst friendly faces on the central bridge landing.

The rescue attempt came after a surge of malignant magic was sensed by denizens in both baileys, especially those sensitive to sorcerous magic, such as the Bound.

Even the most mundane heard a scream, and felt as the soul of one of the kidnapped women's soul shattered under Jallon's vile magic.

Naturally, people sought comfort in each other at the central bridge, and it was there that the blue wraith appeared to dispose of the vacant shell of what was once sera Kona, as well as abscond with a new victim.

The gathered huddled within a circle of amber dust, which has proven to be a deterrent to the wraiths.

"The circle was created to prevent the Hand from abducting any more of our people, but we theorized that it could be used ... to manipulate the hand into having to abduct someone not inside the circle," Dame Galatea explained afterwards.

Unbeknownst to those who sought safety inside the circle, the dame had borrowed a magical artifact capable of summoning three people to her location. She remained out of the circle of amber dust, and as expected, the wraith snatched her and vanished -- but not before throwing a nasty, paralyzing fear spell at the bridge. Though some resisted it, others fell victim to waves of irrational, total terror.

"I then summoned Meryl and Blodwen, who both possess spells that can harm the wraiths, and Lieutenant Adahn, who borrowed a sword that can harm the wraiths," the dame explained.

She noted the surprise arrival of the three rescuers caught the blue wraith off guard, and they were able to overcome it, "slaying it -- at least for now," Dame Galatea noted.

Sera Meryl was able to get the blue wraith's focus from him during the scuffle, adding it to the other foci previously recovered. When all five are gathered, they will be taken to the underforge and smashed by Master Quilp.

The Vorta Laerna, a mystical turtle shell traded for years ago by ser Gareth, has demonstrated in the past its sensitivity to the wraith's actions. This night was no different, as before sera Kona's utter demise, it shared with the ser a line of prose.

"The peril that faces, does so alone. A finger of five has broken a bone. Too far to acquire, safely atone."

And while the efforts of the evening may have resulted in a safer realm, it is certainly not safe; as the rescued and rescuers rejoiced on the bridge, a sudden surge of unforgiving fury raged through the realm, reminding all present that there were still wraiths unaccounted for -- and that Jallon may yet exist, somewhere.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask all readers please indicate to me through discretion any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and theDenizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Mistress Euphelia
    Chronicler of the Court

-An amendment is tacked here-

Shortly after her rescue, Lady Charmiam was slain by the Black Dame, Dame Keterin, in the Inner Bailey hospital where she was taken to recover from her injuries and the strain of her ordeal. The Lady, who was wounded and had been marked by Jallon, the blue wraith, was linked to the wraith in ways not understood by any but the wraiths, though it was believed that while she, or any other bearing a wraith's mark, the wraith in question drew strength.

"Since the Triangle and the Hand of Five are rivaling factions, it is likely the Triangle sent the Black Dame to slay (Lady) Charmiam to prevent Jallon from siphoning life force to revive himself," Dame Galatea explained.

Others marked by the wraiths have died in the past, and have been resurrected without any permanent damage. As with the others, the mark of Jallon vanished from Lady Charmiam's corpse after her death.

Amended this day, the sixth of the Third Moon, Year Twenty of Recent Awakenings

Euphelia Noronos
    Chronicler of the Court

Comment

Working...
    X