X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows Take an Eye

Third day of the Fifth Moon,
    Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of the Shadows Take an Eye.

The Shadows have stuck once more, severely injuring and half-blinding one of Her Majesty’s Honored guests.

Ser Skorzany discovered sera Auriela, the Royal Purse Bearer and Head Librarian, in the cupola at about half-past five late bells. She was writhing upon the ground, bleeding from her left eye and vomiting shadows. Two Shadowkin had cornered Sera Auriela. The female wields two daggers, calls herself Widow and appears to have poisonous skin. Her male Shadowkin companion accompanied her. They asked the sera unexpected questions: her name, what she did in the Castle if she liked books. Sera Auriela’s answers seem to displease Widow who moved fast and plunged a dagger into sera Auriela’s eye and marked her with shadow.

Sera Auriela has been treated in the Infirmary by sera Diana, a nurse, who said that the patient had lost the use of that eye. Her remaining eye is now shadowy-grey.

The Shadowkin have been menacing the Castle recently, attacking every few days. They came from Miyako the Shadow assassin of The Triangle. Ser Melle noted that “The shadows that come from Miyako are different. Unique, in a way. They have names. Personalities.”

The purpose of these attacks is unknown. Sera Vasilisa speculated, “I think they’re trying to gain energy to remain as they are. It would explain why they keep marking people. When they marked Rider, they promised they wouldn’t attack again. I thought it was a lie, but they did stop until he had [the shadow mark] removed.” It may be that their current aim is to distract residents and to lower morale. Master Emerick, the Royal Archivist, observed, “These shadow creatures seem to be acting of their own accord, not necessarily in line with the will of the Triangle. … Magics used by members of the Triangle are all extreme versions of the types of magic they are. Miyako’s shadow magics are likely unlike any other shadow magic we have seen or experienced.”

Residents are advised to travel in pairs and to alert the Army immediately upon encountering Shadowkin.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections. I humbly ask all readers to please indicate to me discreetly, any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is through the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizens of Her Majesty’s Realm.

Sera Tine
    Senior Chronicler

Tine
    Senior Chronicler
    Secretary to Lord Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X