X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinistro's Sinister Story Collection II

Twenty-first Day of the Tenth Moon,
    Twentieth Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the account of Sinistro's Sinister Story Collection II.

Hairs on necks rose, and goose flesh appeared on skin, as ser Sinistro treated those gathered to a collection of frightening fables as part of Sinistro's Sinister Story Collection II, designed to celebrate the Tenth Moon as a time of the year to revel in fright. Each week for this moon, ser Sinistro is telling scary stories in the Dining Hall.

On Sunday evening, the twentieth day of the moon, the first tale was titled Heaven Sent, Hell Bent. With the permission of ser Sinistro, the tales are reproduced below. What can not be reproduced, is the macabre artistry with which the ser delivered the tales.

Heaven Sent, Hell Bent

As you come into this world, something else is also born.

You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you…

It moves slowly, but it never stops.

Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow…

Never faster, never slower.

...always coming.

You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not.

One day, you will linger in the same place...too long.

You will sit too still...or sleep too deep.

And when, too late, you rise to go...

...you will notice a second shadow next to yours.
    This story was well-received by those present and so ser Sinistro put the question, "Have you ever noticed a ringing sound in your ears? Perhaps, whenever you are in a very quiet area…”

The Ringing In Your Ears

A healer with a speciality in the ear might say...that it may be signs of minor lingering damage to your ear, or a defect in such...

That is completely wrong.

That ringing...covers up something else altogether.

If you are quick, patient, and maybe a little lucky...you will be able to hear past the ringing.

If you try...what you will hear are voices whispering to each other.

They will silence themselves quickly but...with practice...you will become more adept at catching and interpreting what they are saying.

You will hear things of the past, the present, and the future...

You will hear things of the past, the present, and the future…

However, you must be careful…

...because there is no such thing as a voice without a body.
    Ser Sinistro explained that the stories are from his own collection and will be donated to the library at the end of the moon. He continued with the third story of the evening, “This is a true tale, relayed to me by someone who lived in the Outer so very long ago…”

The Third Tale

A newly-awoken man, suffering from insomnia, was trying to fall asleep one night in his guestroom - the red one, with the fireplace…

After many bells, he was still awake as it got more and more late. Frustrated because he had a meeting with the Chambers in the early morning, he turned on his side and looked out the window of his guestroom.

Noticing two torchlights in the distance, he rested his eyes on them and soon fell asleep.

The next night he found himself once again kept awake by his sleep disorder - remembering the remedy he tried the night before, he turned to his side and looked out the window for the two torchlights, found them, and once again fell asleep peacefully.

The next night his sleeping troubles were back, but he simply looked out the window for the torches and rested his eyes on them...but they were flickering even more than normal, every few seconds.

He assumed that the torches would soon burn out, and as his eyes began to fall shut the lights did indeed finally died.

He woke up in the morning refreshed, and as he got up he looked out the window towards the torchlights, hoping one of the servants would come to replace them.

However, as he looked he noticed something odd: there weren't torch brackets there.

He leaned closer to the window to double-check, but still the torches were nowhere to be found.

Then he looked down and noticed small claw marks on the window sill, as if something was perched there….

His insomnia got worse.
    Ser Sinistro concluded, "I'm not sure if the ser actually saw anything...or if there was anything there...it still remains.” He then introduced the final tale for the evening, "This is a fascinating...and quite depressing tale. I transcribed it from an old scroll held in an even older book."

Tale of Lord Mordake

One of the weirdest and most melancholy stories of human deformity in the history of our castle is that of Lord Mordake.

He lived in complete seclusion, often refusing the visits even of the members of his own household.

He was a noble man of fine attainments, a profound scholar, and a musician of rare ability.

His figure was remarkable for its grace, and his face…

...that is to say his natural face...was of unmatched handsomeness.

Upon the back of his head was another face, one that of a beautiful girl, lovely as a dream, hideous as a devil.

The female face occupied only a small portion of the posterior part of the skull, yet exhibited every sign of an intelligence of a malignant sort.

It would be seen to smile and sneer while Mordake was weeping.

The eyes would follow the movements of the spectator, and the lips would gibber madly without ceasing.

No voice was audible, but Mordake avers that he was kept from his rest at night by the hateful whispers of his 'devil twin,' as he called it. According to him…

"It never sleeps, but talks to me forever of such things as they only speak of in Hell. No imagination can conceive the dreadful temptations it sets before me. For some unforgiven wickedness I am knit to this fiend - for a fiend it surely is."

Such were the words of the hapless Lord Mordake to, in those days, the Royal Chirurgeon Doctor Mielyr.

He went to Doctor Mielyr and begged him, beseeched him, pleased with him, to crush it out of human semblance, even if he died because of it.

In spite of careful watching, he managed to procure poison, whereafter he died...but not before leaving a scroll.

His last request was that the 'demon face' be destroyed before his internment, lest it continues its dreadful whisperings in his grave.

At his own request, he was interred not in the crypts, in the Inner…

… but in a waste place, without stone or legend to mark his grave, in some long-forgotten corner of the castle.
    Sinistro related, "This was the tale of Lord Mordake...a cursed man."

At the conclusion of the stories, there was some discussion with Dame Josie suggesting, "Maybe that's the thing causing the ringing in your ears, the whispers you all can't quite make out. … Another mystery to add to the mountain that is Marrach.”

Sir Adahn mentioned, "Ghost ball is my least favorite time of year. They say it’s when the veil between our world and the afterlife is the thinnest. Things get through that shouldn't."

Before concluding the event, the story-teller said, "My intention with these bells … is to leave you lingeringly unsettled upon its conclusion If at any time the lightest of shudders creeps down your spine, your palms dampen with sweat, or your breath quickens in fear - I consider my goal to have been met."

At this those present assured him that the goal had been realized. Dame Josie assured Sinistro similarly, "Doubtless I will be thinking on them all for quite some time. I'm sure your goal has been surprassed with even just this audience."

When asked if he ever thought of cheerful stories, ser Sinistro replied, "There can be no...cheer, without the shadow it casts."

Present for the stories were Lady Charmiam and Dame Josie who had both come from the Faith class, along with Sir Adahn, seras Kriseld and Nariseth and this chronicler.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections. I humbly ask all readers to please indicate to me discreetly, any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Sera Tine
    Chronicler of the Court
    Last edited by Tine; 10-21-2019, 02:33 PM.

Mistress Tine
    Chronicler of the Court
    Squire to Sir Edstave
    Junior Equerry to Lord Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X