X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheralz's Scholarly Lecture: Creatures Part 1 – Undead

Fourteenth Day of the Third Moon,
    Twenty-First Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain with the will of Her Majesty, and in upholding the duties charged to me as a Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of Scheralz's Scholarly Lecture: Creatures Part 1 – Undead.

On the first day of the third moon in the Lecture Hall, ser Melle Scheralz offered insight with his vast knowledge of Creatures and Beasts that have been known to roam the land of our realm. This was his first lecture of a series entitled Creatures, Constructs, and Other Deadly Entities of Mount Ardan which he plans to present to the denizens of the castle. The Keeper also made a humbling statement in regards to those that could of offer information in areas he was not familiar with, “Though I initially conceived of a lecture on this subject due to my own extensive experience with the various hostile beings of the Castle, my ensuing research revealed there is much I have not seen with my own eyes, and as such it is my hope to draw on the knowledge of those present.”

He continued to explain the purpose of his lecture, “Some may remember that I hosted a practice with a similar theme on behalf of the Battle Guild some Moons ago, though that was chiefly focused on martial strategies with regards to monstrous foes. Today I wish to spend more time addressing the actual nature of the creatures that inhabit our Mountain home, why they exist, the threat they pose, such. Though there will also be some time committed to discussing how they might be best defended against.”

As he proceeded to educate the Lecture Hall, ser Atmos brought in a freshly slain zombie to assist with a visual aid. He set the corpse on the floor stating, “He's dead....well...dead, again.” Refocusing on his lecture, ser Melle continued, “We will begin, appropriately, with the variety of creature that many of us continue to think of first when the word "monster" is uttered, or when there is a hostile presence within the Castle. The undead.” He reminded the Lecture Hall, “It is worth remembering that while our example here is a typical zombie of fairly ordinary stature, the magics used to animate this creature can seemingly also be used to bolster their physical threat. Most zombies do not pose these threats. But one can never be certain. The principle to obey, in all cases, is to observe your foe closely, and never be complacent when in battle.”

Another type of undead creatures besides zombies explained were the re-animated skeletons. Ser Melle described the skeletons as, “Imbued with seemingly more complex or simply more potent magics than the zombie, the skeleton is capable of wielding weapons and attacking with unnerving power and precision. They are much greater threats than the zombie overall, and yet more dangerous variants exist.”

Ser Melle then offered his knowledge on the three offensive approaches to battle: Power, Speed, and Precision, “With almost all monstrous foes, one should seek to meet the threat that they pose like-with-like. A foe focused on overwhelming strength should be opposed with heavy swings. A foe that moves swiftly and unpredictably should be chased down with swift attacks. And a foe with enough skill to manipulate a weapon should be met with caution and precision.” The topic moved on to different types of skeletons differing from the usual humanoid ones. There have been records of skeleton berserkers which are re-animated skeletons of beasts such as dragons. More clarification on the term berserker skeletons would be those skeletons bearing heavy, two handed weapons which they swing about quite recklessly and with less caution for self-preservation than a fighter with vulnerable organs might. They're typically donned in shreds of mail or other haphazard scraps of armor, though it is unknown where it comes from.

The last topic was on the various undead beasts. Ser Melle began to discuss on the zombie rat, “These creatures are the size of dire rats and move similarly swiftly, behooving a quick approach in kind. They are quickly dispatched, but can pose a very immediate threat in battle, so I recommend dealing with them first.” The next beast was the wyvern. This creature was similar to other giant beasts attacking with tail swipes and biting. Though extremely strong, with enough time and precision, it can be taken down.

The scholar then focused on what fuels the undead. There are three assumptions that could be behind the source of power to these beasts. These include: The Nightmare, Necromancy, and Shadows. More information is provided int he Appendix below.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated.
    In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;.

Caedus Bane
    Junior Chronicler
    ser Caedus Bane
    - Junior Chronicler
    - Junior Librarian
    - Unbound Student of the Sorcery Project

Appendix

Zombies:
    When animated, the zombie's chief threat is in its supernatural strength and resilient nature. And they lack the fine motor skills required to wield a weapon, and strike only with bludgeoning blows from their limbs. And they also lack vital functions, which means that they cannot be slain quickly by attacks to their organs. Nonetheless, they can be cut down. Once enough damage is dealt to a zombie's body it will simply collapse, its magic apparently spent. The zombie may seem a simple to some, but they are also good evidence that every enemy should be treated with caution and respect.

Some zombies in this realm have been known to explode upon impact. The explosion would result in an acidic pus upon their demise that was prone to burning whomsoever stuck the monster's killing blow. These are usually differentiated by their blackened, virulent appearance, likely stemming from their nature as Shadow-imbued.

Another zombie form are those with an ice blue skin. In colder climates, some zombies are an ice blue shade, frozen rigid. Their icy skin seemed resistant to the blows of blades, almost like a light layering of armor, and they require much more endurance to best.

The best weapons against the zombies would be a weapon that can quickly hew through their bodies like a waraxe or longsword. Targeting the limbs of the zombie is ideal. This will limit its capacity to strike back. Avoid striking the torso, due to the lack of vital organs, unless you are capable of fully crushing its bones or cleaving it in two. Skilled warriors might strike at the neck or head, as removal of such seems to consistently neutralize the creatures, though be wary that even after long decomposition a spinal cord can be rather difficult to cut through.

Skeletons:
    Whereas the remaining musculature and thews of the zombie are bolstered and strengthened by their magic, the skeleton has none. It is motivated, allowed to move at all, by magic alone. Nonetheless, like the zombie, that magic dissipates when the creature's body is adequately damaged. The key feature, however, is its weaponry. Unlike a zombie with which one must simply stay out of reach of its powerful but slow limbs, a skeleton strikes like a trained soldier, and must be faced with the caution that one requires. The ability to parry their strokes and counterattack methodically is of utmost importance in fighting them. As such, swords are recommended. Against ordinary skeletons a precise approach is favored. It is recommend against facing greater numbers if at all possible, as their propensity is to target any opening presented. Parrying their strikes and aiming for weaknesses in their bone structure with a sword is achievable. However, those skilled with blunt and bludgeoning weapons would very often make quite short work of skeletal foes.

Berserker Skeletons:
    Like zombies, these creatures seem to be not only supported but expanded by magic, reaching sizes quite unnatural. And though their power is menacing, their name is unfortunately somewhat misleading, as they remain just as capable of striking with unerring precision and expertise. One berserker is equal in threat to any three ordinary skeletons. They should be fought only in groups, and then by experienced warriors. Against a berserker it is recommend a skilled and shielded warrior who can safely occupy the thing's attention and draw its powerful blows while others strike with heavy blows at its flanks.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    ser Caedus Bane
    - Junior Chronicler
    - Junior Librarian

Comment

SECOND APPENDIX - Beast

This is the second half of the ser's informative lecture which focus more on the beast. The scholar opened up his discussion, “I wished to mainly focus on mundane creatures and their magical variants.” Upon asking the audience which animals they have seen, answers such as dire creatures, gryphon, and grimalkin were mentioned. There was also talk of native animals to the mountain which consisted of wolves, cats, deer, and other woodland creatures.

Ser Melle then focused on his first topic, “For those venturing into the caves or onto the mountain, the two beasts that will prove the most dangerous are the dire rat and wolf. Dire rats, as the name implies, are rats that have grown far larger than one would presume natural. The wolves of the mountain seem to grow to similar sizes. Naturally this makes both of them significantly more threatening.”

The Keeper when on to explain the increased size of a dire animal, “The reason for this increase in size, as far as I know, is unknown. It could simply be that exposure to the innate magic of the Castle and Mountain over generations has had an effect on the physiology of the native species. They could be descendants of some unknown magical species intermingled with the ordinary beasts living in the Castle. I have wondered for a while if ordinary animals in the Mountain reproduce naturally, or if like those here they are simply undying and propagate through some other means... but that is a question for another time.”

The strategic tactics used against them can be the same as they are similar creatures. Both are swift, deadly creatures that operate well in groups and can quickly overwhelm opponents with their speed and ferocity. In countering them it is suggested a swift approach in kind. Weapons such as rapiers, longswords, spears are quick and give one range from their teeth. While being up close or in close quarters is not ideal, a dagger would be beneficial if one would find themselves in that situation.

The next creature to be discussed was the warg. While reflecting on the Obsidian Tournament which took place in the fourteenth year of these awakenings, The Keeper informed the class, “The wargs were summoned by Prince Vortigen for the tournament, as is my understanding.” Wargs were described as being a metal wolf-like creature in appearance, but still able to be wounded. It was noted that once wounded the metal spikes on its body began to shift and removed its wounds in the process.

In relation to the wargs the ser added, “I would add to this category the werepanther, with the important caveat that werepanthers are also intelligent beings, some of which have been known to reside in the Conclave and act as allies to the Castle. They are not monsters per se, but cursed humans. However, there have been times in the past when they have battled the people of Castle and Conclave in droves. Though hopefully those days shall not return, we did face simulacra of them during the ethershard crisis, when spectral monsters dogged the Castle. At that time, even those pale imitations proved merciless and deadly.”

Ser Melle Scheralz plans to continue to demonstrate his mighty intellect on this matter in future lectures. Please review the board at the bridge to learn when his next lecture shall be.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm.

Caedus Bane
      Junior Chronicler
      ser Caedus Bane
      - Junior Chronicler
      - Junior Librarian

Comment

Working...
      X