X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Nightmare and Shadow

Seventeenth Day of the Third Moon,
    Twenty-First Year of Recent Awakenings

In accordance with the will of Her Majesty and in upholding the duties charged to me as Chronicler of the Court, I hereby submit the account of
    Battle of Nightmare and Shadow.

The mood in Castle Marrach has been generally uneasy for the last few weeks as a series of strange noises and events have unfolded. On Freys the thirteenth day of this moon, the expected attack began. This had been preceded by an incident on Thors evening when the Triangle's Shadow Assassin appeared with an unnamed Shadow companion.

The Assassin known as Miyako appeared outside the theatre with a Shadow companion, on Thors the twelfth. Miyako was bleeding from the nose and mentioned using a lot of her resources. She vanished, leaving those present to discuss her words when screaming was heard from the stairs. The Assassin had grabbed sera Taite and suddenly ripped Taite's shadow out through her back, and dissolved it into herself. Sera Taite collapsed, and Miyako was gone.

The following evening, on Freys the fourteenth, a low groan echoed throughout the halls and corridors followed half a bell later by a feeling of hollowness as many felt a chill shiver running down their spine. Those gathered on the bridge heard a sudden thud and saw several plumes of ice and frost erupting from the abyss below. Swaths of pure, opaque blackness rose hauntingly from the surface. A second eruption streaked across the void; tendrils of translucent grey streaked over the blacker swaths, encasing them and pulling them back down into the abyss with a crash of ice and frost.

Ser Melle commented, "It looks as though there are two forces working against one another. Nightmare and Shadow. … I think it is as I suspected. The Triangle are assaulting the Nightmare, and their Shadow-weaver is holding back the brunt of it for them."

Clusters of undead and shadows appeared in the Outer Bailey and the lower bridge. There were zombies, skeleton berserkers, pulsing violet shadow apparitions, baleful purple-hued shadow prowlers and purple-hued shadow apparitions. Fierce fighting took place to dispatch them, and at times they turned on each other. As they were defeated, the shadows screeched and disintegrated into a haze of darkness and the zombies collapsed in a heap of rotting flesh.

As Sir Adahn commented, "Looks like the battle below is spilling over." Silver, silver-coated, or Faith-blessed weapons proved most effective against the shadows. Fortunately, there were no casualties, and Mistress Nariseth sustained the only slight injury. Any weapons or shields dropped were gathered and sent to Master Quilp for repurposing.

Note that sera Taite has since made a full recovery. Dame Keterin suggested that Miyako had merely slaked her thirst with the unfortunate sera's shadow.

As part of the Army's response, the Militia-issued equipment was recalled, that is swords and shields and tabards. Lieutenant Dame Rosemarie, Lieutenant Dafyd, Serjeant Clovis and Serjeant Rosemarie have been woken and resumed military service. They are stationed in the Great Hall, the mid-bridge and the Outer Bailey courtyard. Dame Rosemarie can supply household guards to noble houses, Lieutenant Dafyd will be assigning tasks, and the Serjeants have a variety of military objects available.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections. I humbly ask all readers to please indicate to me discreetly, any falsehoods I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, The Office of the Chronicler, and the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Realm.

Mistress Tine
    Chronicler of the Court

Mistress Tine
    Royal Chronicler of the Court
    Squire to Sir Edstave
    Junior Equerry to Lord Dolph Li'astri
Working...
X