Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Chronicle - The Poet's Brotherhood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle - The Poet's Brotherhood

Fourth Moon, Nineteenth Day
    Year Five of the Recent Awakenings

The Poet’s Brotherhood

To the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as an Aspirant Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of the Poet’s Brotherhood.

The Poet’s Brotherhood, in the words of former Director ser Noddi, “is a guild of poets in free association. The guild aims to encourage the writing and enjoyment of poetry and verse.” (Guilds and Organizations, Vol. 1) “We encourage new members and current members to write in their own styles and to learn any they might have an interest in; we plan events and hold contests. We also sponsor contests held by private citizens when asked,” said Journeyman Poetess sera Kittyn.

Taken from the Charter, the aims of the guild are:
    • To share the enjoyment of poetry with the general population.
    • To write and craft new works of verse and poetry.
    • To support other members to improve their writing by critique and discussion.
    • To encourage non-members to take up the quill and write poetry and to join the guild.

The Brotherhood’s Sun’s Day fireside poetry readings are a long-running tradition. It is estimated by ser Gareth, Poet Fellow, that the guild has been in existence fourteen years since its founding by the Great Ommale, “the member of greatest standing before this present time”, in ser Gareth’s words.

It was not until sera Katherine’s leadership of the Brotherhood that the guild was “reformed among the newly awakened”. When she was called to the Inner Bailey, sera Addreama took on the role of Director. She was succeeded by ser Noddi, who was followed by the now First Acolyte Ophidias. Ser Caltos Darr took over from her, although the First Acolyte is the guild’s patron.

Caltos Darr is the current Director. However, “he’s hardly ever ‘round”, said ser Gareth, and indeed it seems that ser Caltos has taken to his room. In his absence, sera Kittyn and ser Corian coordinate most of the fireside meets.

These fireside recitals are currently held at eight late bells every Sun’s Day by the fire in the Refectory. They are open to all denizens, and participating is not required. Anyone may attend to read a composition or to listen.

The symbol of the Poet’s Brotherhood is a rose in purple, “for the rose hath inspired much poesy fair”, as said by ser Gareth.

There are six ranks within the Brotherhood. The first is the Aspirant. “They need not have written anything, no need of prior poetic fame.” Aspirants wear rings engraved with roses. They require sponsorship of a full member to progress within the guild.

“The [full] member is the simple Poet called, with two works scribed by their hand / And eight compositions total makes them Senior within our little band,” rhymed ser Gareth. A Poet (or Poetess) bears a silk rosette in purple. “The Senior Poet is awarded a tome in purple hue, also with a rose embossed.”

“The next rank is the Journeyman, which requires fifteen works and more / It requires sponsorship of Aspirants, which I believe must number four,” ser Gareth continued. "So too must it require the holding of an event / Where poetry is recited to make all hearts content."

“The Poet Fellow is one who hath composed more than twenty works, and sponsored eight more to rosette / For this rank a quill pen is presented, a high honor sure to get!”

“Beyond the Fellow lies the highest rank, the Poet Master by degree / He must have writ more than twenty works, sponsored nine and events held at least three.”

The Guildleader of the Brotherhood is called the Director. There are also Leaders within the guild, “to induct members and ensure our organization is understood.”

The Poet’s Brotherhood have sponsored and coordinated many events and contests in the past. Most recently is the poetry contest associated with the Potato Festival last moon. Other recent notable contests include the Garden Society’s poetry competition and the joint contest held by the Brotherhood and the Friends of the Muse in the eleventh moon of the last year.

Denizens interested in becoming Aspirants would do well to attend a fireside meet and talk with current members. However, if the bells are unsuitable, ser Gareth, Acolyte Corian and sera Kittyn can be contacted for information.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

Tanrick Vallvagen
    Aspirant Chronicler

Junior Chronicler

Correction:

Ser Caltos Darr has not retired to his room. He is still very much active. This was a mistake entirely on this Chronicler's part, and I humbly ask forgiveness.

In service,

Tanrick Vallvagen

Junior Chronicler

Comment

Working...
    X