• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle - The Fencing Academy

Tenth month, twenty second day
    Year Five of the Recent Awakenings

The Fencing Academy

To the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as a Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of the The Fencing Academy.

Though the drawbridge has been unmoved for years, the activity above it is quite different. Among the axels, gears, cranks, and drums, Squire Pete, on occasion, holds private practices for the Fencing Academy. Some would say that there is not a more fitting place in all the castle, as those who are inducted to the Fencing Academy are on a path to be trained to become much like the machinery once was in this room. Efficient, and effective.

Squire Pete, the leader and founder of The Academy, explains it is different from other martial guilds. Unlike traditional swordsmanship, where one would practice with a traditional blade, fencing uses a foil. The Squire describes a foil as "lighter then a practice sword. Like a rapier, (with a) flexible
    blade, (and) bell guard" He also asserts that in the Academy "You use (the foils) with a fencing mask. (The foil helps) specialize in thrust. It teaches skill and speed over strength. It's a blade to teach you how to aim, rather than just simply muscle your way over folks." He later admits "I am not the biggest (person) in the world, but using foils, and working on skill, (has allowed me to) defeat big bruisers!"

There are other fundamental differences in the Academy's structure that set it apart from other martial guilds. Squire Pete, fondly referred to as Maestro by his inductees, explains "The Battlers can replace their Preceptor by a vote. The Duelists can replace their Senior Triad by a challenge. I wanted to make it (my) own particular school. Now, if you like the way I teach then I welcome you. But I wanted to be able to keep discipline, so long as (my) sponsor, Sir Cyril, supports the job I'm doing." Furthermore the Good Squire admits that the guild does not decide the new Maestro, "I would choose (my) successor."

The Fencing Academy was created in hopes of brining back swordplay to the castle walls. The Squire felt "The Battlers had fallen apart, and the Duelists looked like they were rapidly going to do the same. When I left the Duelists, they had not inducted anyone new in nearly a year. They brought back Jeffery and Kenderaela, who I felt were skilled." He continued to say "But I created the Fencing Academy to teach in (my) own style, with an emphasis on fencing foils."

Public practices are generally the same size as other martial guilds, and held in the practice hall. The private practices are a bit more personal. "One-on-one or two or three. It is a time for me to chat with a student and coach them, and to let them talk to me privately." Though on a more somber note added that the Academy's practices may be 'Battler' practices before long. "The Chamberlain said that we need to combine the guilds within six moons of getting our charter. If we cannot combine, he will only approve one guild. The one that (does) a better job living up to it's charter." He states "I (was) willing to talk to the Preceptor, and had a few meetings." He then digressed "Each time I brought it up to the other Academy members, they urged me to keep us separate."

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

Sera Rayna
    Junior Chronicler
    Last edited by Rayna; 10-21-2004, 10:22 PM.
Working...
X