Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

Chronicle - The Revocation of the Fencing Academy's Charter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicle - The Revocation of the Fencing Academy's Charter

Eleventh day, Eighth Month
    Seventh Year of the Recent Awakenings

In service to Her Majesty the Queen, Monarch of the Realm of Marrach, through my words and obedience to the Office of the Chronicler, I, sera Euphelia Noronos, pen the detailing of:

The Revocation of the Fencing Academy's Charter

The Fencing Academy was an Outer Bailey guild that strove to teach "martial forms of sword craft and customs of duelling, while inspiring proper respect, honour, and friendship between ... fellow teachers and students." These words are from the now-revoked Charter of the Fencing Academy.

The advent of the Fencing Academy was prompted by the lapsing of the charter of the Battle Guild in the Fifth Year of Recent Awakenings. Squire Pete had no desire to work inside the Battle Guild, and chose to go his own way. He wished to "combine what I saw as the best of the Duelists and the best of the Battlers with a more private, controlled structure," explained Squire Pete.

The Fencing Academy strove to provide a strict structure for its membership. If a member behaved poorly, they would be restricted from lessons and practices, forced to remain quiet, suspended or even removed from the Academy. The Academy extended its rules of behaviour over guests as well, removing and making unwelcome any who did not respect those wishes.

Its disbandment came as a shock to its members and to many of those who associated with Academy members.

The Academy was disbanded and its charter revoked by the Lord Chancellor, Sir Boreas. In the decree, the revocation of the charter was based on the "accumulative actions of past Academy members Karde, Ryssa, Laike, and most recently, traitor to the Crown, Lylia." This led to the perception that the Fencing Academy harboured and trained criminals.

When asked if the Fencing Academy would accept those with previous criminal history, Squire Pete answered that he had not once. When asked about those who had been named in His Excellency's decree, the Squire seemed pained. According to him, sera Ryssa had turned a minor infraction into a "dramatic, tragic, self-destructive chase around the Castle" that shamed the Academy.

Karde had been suspended from the Academy for showing disrespect to the seamstresses and to the laws of the Keep, by wearing clothing above his link and keeping on his person a dagger that had not been properly sponsored. When then Corporal Eeva, who is now the Royal Armourer, tried to question ser Karde, he stabbed her and killed her.

Ser Laike is currently in custody in the dungeons under charges which the Squire believes is misprision of treason. However, he is not certain of the details. Lylia "went nutter," said the Squire.

She and sera Wilena, a teacher in the Battle Guild, tricked a newly awoken sera and took her into the tunnels where they beat her. "It came out of nowhere," said Squire Pete. "One night she's writing up our inventory, next day she's arrested for 'demonic possession'." He immediately suspended her membership, so the sera was not part of the Academy when she later attempted to escape the dungeons with Belziel.

"We never had a warning," lamented the Squire. "Nor were we asked to explain any of what happened." However, the Squire did admit freely that ser Cody had sent him a message from the Lord Chancellor, requesting a meeting.

"I did not think the Academy was at risk for what happened. But I cannot say there was no cause for the Charter's revocation either."

The Squire has since rejoined the Duelists. If he ever attains an Inner Bailey rank, he will not be permitted to stay with the Duelists, and has hopes for the Academy there. Squires, Honoured Guests, and residents of the Court could continue martial training and practice should an Inner martial guild exist.

"There were many good folk in the Academy over its days," noted the Squire. "Sir Lucus, Yeoman Cordon, sers Caruso, Sanc, Ostane, and Maximilian, seras Margurite, and Ennah." The Squire hopes that people will remember the Fencing Academy for these honourable people rather than the four who disrespected its charter and its spirit.

"The Academy made me so very proud," Squire Pete concluded. "I wish for them to remember how high we flew."

Should error of meaning or omission, word or phrase have made itself evident in my words, I pray that notice be given unto me so that corrections may be made. My gratitude to Squire Pete for speaking with me on this issue. Please note that the quotes within this chronicle do not duplicate the Squire's accent and are written as for their meaning.

sera Euphelia Noronos
    Junior Chronicler
Working...
X