X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Week's Chess Tournament

Penned on the 14th day, 4th moon, Year Twelve of the Recent Awakenings

To the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as a Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of Guild Week's Chess Tournament.

On the tenth day of this moon, a Chess Tournament took place in the Southern Terrace of the Outer Bailey. The rounds used three separate chess boards, including a human-sized nacre and hematite chess board. The human-sized board was crafted by Master Quilp, and responded to voice commands.

Page Kobe took a list and paired the teams that would compete. Sera Louise and ser Liir used the big board for their game. Simultaneously competing were ser Myrddin against this humble writer, and ser Anton versus sera Zyta. A woman, who later conceded to the name Nemhain, appeared on the terrace, shrouded. She joined the tournament and faced Guildmistress Theresa.

The winners of the first round in order were: sera Louise, ser Myrddin, ser Anton, and sera Nemhain. Sera Louise praised a white knight piece, ''You served me well;'' it was her very first game of chess. Ser Liir opined that she was, ''a fearsome opponent.'' Each game was met with applause from the spectators.

The remaining rounds would use the human-sized chess board to play. Ser Anton played sera Nemhain first, followed by ser Myrddin and sera Louise. The second round victors were sera Nemhain, and ser Myrddin. ''Well fought,'' sera Nemhain and ser Anton expressed to the other. Ser Myrddin admitted that he ''was just trying not to lose!''

Sir Launfal and sera Jerisa arrived during the proceeding break. ''The good Doctor has been busy,'' said Sir Launfal with a grin, referencing the number of new denizens present, ''perhaps word reached him and he made a bit more effort for this occasion.''

The match between ser Anton and sera Louise began while the Lord Chamberlain watched. Ser Anton defeated her, earning third place. ''I need to adopt a strategy that isn't mostly intimidation,'' lamented the sera.

The final chess match was to be held by sera Nemhain and ser Myrddin. Although she won, sera Nemhain requested to be removed from the tournament. ''I wish to cede my victory to ser Myrddin. He did commendably well. Nor do I wish second or third.'' Before disappearing, she thanked the Page for allowing her to participate.

In this manner, Assistant Nurse Myrddin was named first place, and Director Anton earned second place.

Sir Launfal and Page Kobe played their own game of chess when the tournament ended. The loser would relinquish a cigar to the winner. The Lord Chamberlain bested the Page after several ticks. When the Page handed him his honey-flavored cigar, Sir Launfal referred to him as ''honorable.''

In attendance through the three bells were Handmaiden Mena, Master Heath, sera Jerisa, Registrar Kaspar, Aide Bearlan, Deputy Myshella, and sera Finna.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

Junior Chronicler
    Prue
Working...
X