X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild Week's First Heraldry Lecture

Penned on the 25th day, 5th moon, Year Twelve of the Recent Awakenings

To the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as a Junior Chronicler, I hereby submit an account of Guild Week's First Heraldry Lecture.

The Master of Heraldry, Dame Takara, hosted a lecture on Heraldry on the 11th of the 4th moon in the Lecture Hall. Guests received an informational pamphlet. Those attending were Lady Avaria, Watchman Falke, Preceptor Mimi, sers Canderous and Kobe, seras Jerisa, Raharu, Louise, and Amishi, and this humble chronicler. It was the first of two during Guild Week: an introduction to Armory and Blazonry.

Dame Takara clarified four general terms for the audience: blazonry, armory, armorial bearings and liveries. Blazonry is the written and spoken language to describe a shield of arms.

The shield of arms, noted Dame Takara, is the most common representation of armorial bearings. It is comprised of tinctures, charges and ordinaries. ''Shield of arms are always designed to not only represent the person bearing them, but to depict virtues they possess or values they admire,'' Dame Takara expressed with a grin. Only Royalty, the Nobility, and the Chivalry are authorized to bear arms, although some offices have permission; a notable member of the court may also be granted arms. ''Notable courtiers being granted arms is very rare and is a great honor,'' the Dame elaborated.

Next, Dame Takara talked about the available tinctures. There are only two metal tinctures: Argent (silver) and Or (gold). Nine colors are available for arms, however the color cerulean is reserved for Her Majesty the Queen. The remaining tinctures are furs.

Ordinaries were the final topic of the night. There are two groups of ordinaries: Honorable Ordinaries and Sub-Ordinaries. Honorable Ordinaries are the principle ordinaries that are represented. ''They can sometimes be adorned by a sub-ordinary or another charge,'' illustrated Dame Takara. There are eight different ordinaries: the bar, the bend, the chevron, the chief, the cross, the fess, the pale, and the saltire.

''Pursuviant heralds and heralds have to learn all of this by heart,'' reminded Dame Takara, ''it can take moons sometimes.''

As the lecture ended, Dame Takara revealed the Office's Heraldry Contest, with a ''secret prize.'' Sera Jerisa won the contest on the 6th day of this moon.

The Royal Office of Heraldry is seeking applications for the Pursuivant Herald position. Interested denizens without a criminal history can missive Dame Takara directly. [An instructional scroll is tacked nearby.]

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated. It is by means of the conservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Majesty and give substance to those that follow.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lord Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

Junior Chronicler
    Prue
Working...
X