Announcement

Collapse

Downtimes: June 24 - July 2nd

We've got another batch of shutdowns coming in late June and early July, so that the machines can be repaired for the newest bug, the ZombieLoad CPU bug.

In general, the Genesis games (Grendel, TEC, TEC-Test) all have reboots scheduled for the absolute middle of the night, so I'll be taking each down the previous evening at midnight and bringing them back up the next morning at 9am.

The SkotOS games have always been more robust about reboots, so we'll let them reboot on their own, though there's some chance for an ~2 hour data loss. In any case, I'll be checking them after the 2-hour window when I can, though Marrach has a middle-of-the-night reboot, so that'll be the next morning.

The UserDB and Web reboots will cause some downtime for the entire site, but again they will hopefully come up cleanly.

GENESIS:

- Shutdown Grendel (late Sunday 6/23)

- Startup Grendel (early Monday 6/24)

- Shutdown TEC (late Monday 6/24)

- Startup TEC (early Tuesday 6/25)

- Check TEC Client (9pm Tuesday 6/25)

- Shutdown TEC-Test (late Thursday 6/27)

- Startup TEC-Test (Friday 6/28)

SKOTOS:

- Marrach (Monday early morning 6/24)

- Ironclaw (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Lovecraft, Lazarus (Monday 8pm-10pm 7/2)

MAIN SITE:

- UserDB (Monday 10pm-midnight 6/24)

- Web (Sunday 9pm-11pm 6/30)
See more
See less

On Titles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Titles

Penned on the 13th Day, 8th Moon, 16th YRA

To the Denizenry of Her Majesty's Castle Marrach;

In accordance to the will of the Lord Chamberlain, and in upholding the duties charged to me as Senior Chronicler, I hereby submit the chronicle On Titles

On the 10th day of the 8th moon during this, the 16th year of our recent awakenings, Lady Sinvy held a talk in the Outer Bailey lecture hall on the topic of proper title usage at the request of Her Majesty the Queen.

While the nature of the talk was about formality, the presentation itself was relaxed. Participants were encouraged to volunteer their own knowledge and questions, all of which Lady Sinvy answered with thorough consideration.

Utilizing the slateboard to punctuate her points, she covered the topic of proper title usage ranging from Commoner to Royal. Found below is a transcription of the talk's main points for the benefit those that could not attend, as written by Lady Sinvy on the slateboard.

The talk lasted a bell and a half and concluded once none of the attendees had any remaining questions.

Ser and Sera

The titles of ser and sera are the basic prefix given to an individual within the Castle to identify gender and act as a default title when one is uncertain of the appropriate address.

Master and Mistress

The style of Master or Mistress is not an intrinsic one. It is a title bestowed upon an individual due to favor or position upon the Great Chain. For example, if the job title upon the Great Chain holds Master or Mistress in it, if one is the head of a Crafting Guild or if the job title upon the Great Chain is prefaced by Royal and of the 7th link and above. If members of the Royal Family or Nobility call someone Master or Mistress as a show of favor.

Examples:
    • Master Armourer Royal, Mistress Wilena
    • Royal Witchfinder, Master Odebain
    • Royal Seamstress, Mistress Ermengarde

Sir and Dame

The titles of Sir and Dame are intrinsically linked. You cannot be a Sir or Dame without holding the rank of Knight. If you find yourself in a situation where you are unsure of an individual's job rank, but know they are a member of chivalry, their intrinsic rank title will take precedence. Similarly, if you wish, you may always refer to someone by their intrinsic rank, rather than their job title. An example being, Sir Launfal is the Lord Chamberlain. By rights, it is acceptable to call him Your Lordship or My Lord, however it is equally proper address him as Sir.

Lord and Lady

The titles of Lord and Lady are bestowed upon the Nobility of Castle Marrach. There are essentially two ways you may utilize these titles: "My Lord" and "My Lady", and "Your Lordship" and "Your Ladyship". "My Liege" may only be used in the case that you are a direct servant of the Noble.

Duke and Duchess

The title of Duke or Duchess is a higher form of basic Nobility (Lord and Lady) and addressed thus:
    • Your Grace - MOST APPROPRIATE
    • Her Grace, His Grace - MOST APPROPRIATE
    • My Lady, My Lord
    • Your Ladyship, Your Lordship

Royalty

The Queen

The following is a list of all the appropriate terms of address for Our Queen. To use anything less is to demoter Her verbally.
    • Her Royal Majesty
    • Her Majesty
    • Your Royal Majesty
    • Your Majesty
    • My Queen
    • My Regent
    • My Liege
    • Ma'am*

* Ma'am is appropriate when speaking to the Queen, but it should never be used when speaking of Her or announcing Her and so forth.

The Prince

Prince Bertram is a Knight in his own right. As such, it is acceptable to call him Sir when answering him. "Yes, Sir", "No, Sir" and so forth. However, when addressing him or speaking of him, it is most appropriate to use Your Royal Highness or another similar style. Princess Maeve is not a Knight in her own right, but is still a daughter of a Queen and is afforded the below forms of address until Her Majesty tells us otherwise.
    • Your Highness
    • His Royal Highness, Her Royal Highness
    • His Highness, Her Highness
    • My Prince, My Princess
    • Your Lordship, Your Ladyship
    • My Lord, My Lady
    • His Lordship, Her Ladyship
    • My Liege*

*You might abstain from using THIS on the Princess

Lord Chancellor

Sir Boreas is a Knight of the Realm and Royal Consort, also called Husband to Her Royal Majesty, Queen Vivienne. As Lord Chancellor he is privileged to the following titles and styles:
    • Your Excellency
    • Excellency
    • Your Lordship
    • My Lord
    • My Liege
    • Sir

Addendum: It is appropriate to use the intrinsic or favor title when addressing individuals with the exception of addressing them as per their position. An example of this, when speaking with ser Massimo, you would simply address him as ser Massimo. If you were to speak of him or to him in his capacity as a Royal Page, you could call him Page or Page Massimo. To refer to him otherwise is inappropriate. This holds true for Handmaidens, Acolytes, Scribes and so forth. When speaking of or addressing Lady Etaine in regards to Chancery, you could address her as: The Right Honourable Lady Justice Etaine. However, in person you would defer back to Your Ladyship or My Lady.
    Due to the relaxed nature of the talk, a number of questions were brought up as Her Ladyship brought up the various points. Here is a collection of those questions and their answers:

Q: Are those held beneath contempt still afforded the titles of ser or sera?
    A: They are. To address them without the qualifier might confer a sense of equality or lend an informal nature to the tone.

Q:
    Is the title of Master or Mistress given to every Equerry as a rule or show of favor?
    A: It began as favor but has become the norm.

Q: Is "m'lady" or "m'lord" considered rude?
    A: No, they are acceptable substitutes.

Q: Does Lord and Lady always take precedence over titles conferred by specific roles?
    A: Titles conferred by specific roles should only be used when those being addressed are performing said roles, otherwise it is always Lord and Lady.

Q: What is the difference between "My Lord" and "Your Lordship"?
    A: "My Lord" is best used when addressing your actual Lord or Lady. However, for the sake of avoiding repetition in conversation, either one can be used.

Q: Is it ever appropriate to use a noble's name when speaking directly to them?
    A: Never, unless told you may, address an individual of higher rank than you by their name without a title.

Q: Are most job titles, such as Elder or Preceptor, actual honourifics?
    A: They are not.

Q: Are Watch titles honourifics?
    A: They are used while the Watch members are on duty, otherwise their intrinsic or favor titles are used.

Other than Lady Sinvy, the other attendees were: Armsman Tyr'Gunn, Inquisitor Vincint, Watchwoman Vessa, Master Emerick, sera Natasha, ser Jeffery, Mistress Brook and Mistress Heulyn.

This chronicle will be subject to changes and corrections, as I humbly ask that the readers indicate to me through their discretion any falsehood I may have mistakenly communicated. It is through the preservation of the Past that we continue to serve Her Grace and give strength to those that will follow in our wake.

In service to Her Majesty Queen Vivienne, the Lady Chamberlain, the Chronicler's Office, and the Denizenry of our Gracious Queen's Realm;

Chronicle LXVIII

Senior Chronicler
    Master Emerick
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to her kohl-lined button eyes.
    StoryPlotter Odjit points to you.
    StoryPlotter Odjit draws her finger over her throat slowly.

OOC -- Rhomulus says, " you realize... of all the people on here you're one of the few to make me look up a word?! lol"
Working...
X