Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPs

I apologize if this was asked or discussed before, but here goes:

Would it be possible to code it so that when its announced in the news that a planet was destroyed, we can also see who launched the DP?
    I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Originally posted by kamikazehiker
    Or. . .
    We can all acknowledge that Jolee is right, get over it, and shut up.

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

Unwary: "Jolee rocks!"

"Of course she does, she's related to me. "

-Firetear

This would be a fairly trivial change to the code.

However, I think it takes something away from the game. The anonymity of the DP is what makes it fun! It adds the "ok, who did that?!" factor.

The only time you see who launched a DP is if you have a shield. In hindsight, I wish the sender was anonymous even in this case.

-Richard

Comment

Hm. I thought that was a deliberate choice on your part, and part of the benefit of having a shield.

I _like_ knowing who's to blame, and pounding the snot out of the little bugger that did it.

At your service,

Kazak
      SLOGH!

Comment

Exactly! I want to know who to chase down, who to avoid, etc.

And 'Who did that?!' is exactly what goes through my mind when I see that a planet has been destroyed.
        I went to a 7-11 and asked the clerk for five dollars worth of gas. She farted and handed me a receipt.

Or. . .

A thief burst into a Florida bank one day wearing a ski mask and carrying a gun. Aiming his gun at the guard, the thief yelled, "FREEZE, MOTHER-STICKERS, THIS IS A ****-UP!"

-Firetear

Comment

Another twist would be to change from:

DS blocks DP and reveals sender
          SS blocks SP and reveals sender

change to:

DS blocks DP (reports DP hit but not who sent it)
          SS blocks SP and reveals SP sender or DP sender.

Thus the SS is a bit more valuable and the DS a bit less,
          but it opens up these possibilities:

world with DS only gets hit by DP - you know you were hit but may not be sure who sent it.

world with SS only gets hit by DP - you lose the world, but get to know for sure who did it (but the sender doesn't know you know unless they sent a SP ahead of the DP, so that the SP was blocked and they thus know you have a SS).

world with DS + SS gets hit by DP - your world is safe and you know who sent the DP

I think this arrangement opens up some interesting options.

Comment

thats actually a good idea... i alway thought spy shields were a bit over priced for their cost... that would make them more worth there while
            -Shadow

Comment

Actually, I was thinking of having it revealed to all who DP'd whom.

Or. . .

-Firetear

Comment

Quigg right.
                Bite me.

Comment

I like the anonymity and simplicity on the subject that the current game offers. The "who did that?" factor of the DP is pretty fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolee
                    Actually, I was thinking of having it revealed to all who DP'd whom.
                    Please put my vote for "no!" in here. I'd still like the game to show it to a player that's invested in shields, but it shouldn't be broadcast to one and all.

If it's a close game between more than two players, *everyone* will automatically know who spent $200 and who's now weaker. (In addition to the recipient, of course). It'll discourage DP use far too much.

At your service,

Kazak
                    SLOGH!

Comment

Yeah, why should everyone benefit from the one player's investment in the shield?
                      Got any World War II vets in the family? Check out my oral history web site, www.memoriesofwar.com

Comment

I was kicking around the idea of a "Super Spy Probe" for Blind games. For say 50$ these probes would, upon arrival, launch out normal spy probes to every star within your distance range from the destination star. Perhaps limit to 10 of these "probettes" max. (for players with a high range). The downside would be that if the super probe hit a spy shielded star, no information would be reported and the sender just wasted the 50$.
                        - Gump

Comment

Originally posted by KidFrey
                          Quigg right.
                          Shoot, twice in one day I have to agree with Kid.

Yup, Quigg has a darn good idea there.
                          Captains' Log - Where the Captains termites live

Comment

Post up a poll and I'll be happy to consider it based on the results.

Shannon

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonA
                              Post up a poll and I'll be happy to consider it based on the results.

Shannon

[Humble]
                              Can you point me towards the tutorial for posting a poll?
                              [/Humble]
                              Captains' Log - Where the Captains termites live

Comment

Working...
                              X