Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

I pay, can I play too??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I pay, can I play too??

This is ridiculous, the Hegemony waiting list has been at 12 for like four days now. Since the 14th of December there has been one game run. This is the only game I can play right now, and still its like pulling teeth. Do you people even try to satisfy your customers, or is this a non-profit organization. I mean damn, if I only delivered my load whenever I got around to it, there would be nothing at the supermarkets through the week. Please someone do your job, this isn't the only issue I've seen, and quite frankly, if I didn't love TEC I wouldn't be paying you to ignore me.

Thanks,
    Steven Atkins
    Die Happy

Not even a respnse to tell me why your product is having the problems its having huh, just a sorta ominous silence. Wow, you customer service sucks.
    Die Happy

Comment

In general, we don't offer responses on non-critical things over the weekend.

A new Hegemony game has been started.

Comment

Thanks, but it was an issue prior to the weekend, just got to irritating me after a few days and escalated cause I was stuck twiddling my tumbs for the weekend. Not totally your fault, sorry I got so grieffy.
        Die Happy

Comment

No problem.

It used to be that we were starting up Hegemony games at least once a week, but since they've gone down in popularity, we don't think to check their status as often. We should really code something that sends us email when there are 12 people queued up.

In any case, always feel free to email shannona @ skotos.net if a game needs to be started.

Comment

Whatever happened with this game anyway? I was going through the archived forums and it looks like it died in 04. The game is awesome, but it seems not to attract long-term gamers. Considering the minimal time requirements it seems like everyone would play between RP'ing in some of the other games.

Sadly most folks need an incentive. Maybe a 1-5 SP for game winners. That doesn't seem to overpowering. Or maybe a larger tournament style double elimination type event, with slightly larger bonuses. Say yearly, to bring newcomers into the game?

Also, how would I go about requesting a blind game?
            Die Happy

Comment

Originally posted by trucker1896 View Post
              Whatever happened with this game anyway? I was going through the archived forums and it looks like it died in 04. The game is awesome, but it seems not to attract long-term gamers. Considering the minimal time requirements it seems like everyone would play between RP'ing in some of the other games.
              I think the players who came over from the original "Space Empires" site slowly faded away, and around 2004 we dropped below critical mass, which sped up the the decline.

The simple fact is that the $12.95 Skotos model doesn't work well for GE:H. Though that's a fine fee for games that people play 40-80 hours a month, like our RPGs, it's too much for a more casual strategy game. We're still very pleased to have it as a free add-on for our other players, but it doesn't generate a community of its own.

I've long wanted to try it out with a new pricing model, but it just hasn't been a sufficient priority. It also got tangled into a large rewrite of the game which got maybe 75% done before other priorities got in the way.

(The rewrite was needed to improve stability for single-day games, which was one of the ways though we thought we could increase interest.)

Sadly most folks need an incentive. Maybe a 1-5 SP for game winners. That doesn't seem to overpowering. Or maybe a larger tournament style double elimination type event, with slightly larger bonuses. Say yearly, to bring newcomers into the game?
              The SP reward is quite a good idea. It'd be pretty easy to do, so it's something I can look into in February.

Also, how would I go about requesting a blind game?
              At the moment, I don't think it's possible, since it's hard enough to fill a normal game. Now, if you could corral together 11 other players beforehand, that'd be a different issue. I think I can just turn a special "blind" queue on, if there's interest.

Email me if you can get enough people together, but I'd need to do it either this week, or right at the end of the month, as I'll be out of town in between.

Comment

Ive never hated a game more than I hated a blind, but give me an RP game and I'll be there with bells, whistles, and the evil emperor I know and love.

Comment

And the thread dies. Come on people, it'll be fun, I swear.
                  Die Happy

Comment

I'm heading out of town in a couple of days, so let's get that next Regular game filled up so I can start it before I leave. 2 more spaces.

Comment

No real interest to play, but if you need the one extra player and you're about to leave out of town, message me and I'll join to fill the spot if need be.
                      -Usuichii, Great Scientist.

Smarmy the Titan bellows to you, "You look almost like an Ugly."

Blackhand the Orc grumbles: I don't know what to call you. No ugly is that vile, and no proper creature of Uthgol has ever had such a lack of honor!

Usuichii 1, Usuichii 2

Comment

Well we have the 12, but oddly enough, only 6 turned out for this last one. Now it's just a matter of who has the most inactive players around them. Hopefully, the SP reward thing can get worked out. Then maybe we can actually use strategy.

If anyone can think of a way to breathe life back into this game, start a thread and lets see what we can do. Considering the time needed, with advance orders and such, this game really should have a a much higher turn around. I mean... EVERY player in TEC, GR, and most of these other 50 hour + a week games, should be able to log in once a day and move fleets.

Hell, for that matter, a Spacemaster type story guide, should has blanket access to develop no shows at least enough to show general growth and add an aura of mystery back to the game. I mean, if they don't build factories or invest in speed\ranfe within 48 hours they're pretty much already dead anyway. The only problem with that, is that about the time someone got to moving fleets around for them, someone would show up and be pissed off.

Could always institute a randm element into the game. A borge type assimilation race that would only take over a homeworld if the admin actually managed to make contact from random star X, anf had the fleets to match whatever was there, and assuming no active players moved to intercept the force. Not a working model, too many holes, but a start.
                        Die Happy

Comment

Its not odd, when it takes weeks to fill up a game, anything can happen from people becomming busy to accounts ending, wouldnt matter.

Since we filled the list up quickly, if this game starts soon we would get a good turn out

ofcourse the ability to remove yourself from a waiting list or removing non-active accounts would always help

Comment

Working...
                          X

Debug Information