Strategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies

How about a strategy discussion? Surely all this new blood is good for something besides a bunch of intergalactic news services announcements. There must be lots of new ideas about strategy.
    Bite me.

I tried to get something started earlier. Maybe now with a few games under their belts, someone will respond. I will say this, the new maps have made me spend more on range and speed than I ever have before. The RP game is completely different and the strategies will have to be worked out.
    "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side" Treebeard the Ent, from Lord of the Rings

Comment

Originally posted by Mongul
      I will say this, the new maps have made me spend more on range and speed than I ever have before.
      Personally, I've aimed to max out speed swiftly in most of my games so far, simply because it's damn practical at any rate, when you begin to consider logistics. The sooner I can bolster my garrisons, the sooner I can press onwards and conquer new territory.

As far as range is concerned, while it is needfull on some maps, I find it mostly needed when I'm dealing with DPs. Those 200$ extra are mostly better spent to buy 4 full increments of range. After all, nothing is as romantic in the night sky as the erupting core of a faraway star.

Have a nice day.
      'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
      -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
      The most acceptable hypocrisy.
      -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

"The Pack Attack" sure seems to work well. Get 2-3 players together to strike at a comon enemy, dividing up the spoils, sharing intelligence and guarding each other's back.

Comment

Quigg Think Gud Stratugy Be Quigg Friend. Give Quigg Gud Tribute. Quigg Lyke Gold, Shiny Playnuts.

Quigg May Bee Tell Sum Moor Deetales Latur.

Quigg Big!

Comment

This guy totally cracks me up.
            Bite me.

Comment

i like ryo's idea.. its so simple :>
              -Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo
                "The Pack Attack" sure seems to work well.
                In game 60 the 'Pack Attack' was quite devastating. After being open only 2 days, a group of players DP'ed Stalin's home world before he even had the slightest chance of affording a Death Shield.

I can't recall another game where a DP was used so effectively so soon. I'm saving up for my Death Shield now

Tene

Comment

on the old site, rufus and some of his cronies wiped me completely out using 2 dps by turn 5
                  "I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side" Treebeard the Ent, from Lord of the Rings

Comment

ok, is it better to buy the ds, or just not build over 40 facts. 40 facts= 1 dp.

Comment

There were at least two people in 038 who invested in DS' far too early, and subsequently got their butts kicked, or so it seems...

(I know you still got at least one fleet of ~70 out there, but trust me, it won't help you much... muahahahah.)

Have a nice day.
                      'If you're going through hell, keep going.'
                      -- Winston Churchill

POLITENESS, n.
                      The most acceptable hypocrisy.
                      -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

'Hitler had a good 20 to 30 IQ points on Bush, so comparing Bush to Hitler would in many ways be an insult to Hitler.'

Comment

I have a theory regarding 40 factories = one DS. My theory is that, at least in a one-on-one situation, 80 factories = one DS (or one DP, from the view of the attacker). In other words, it is not worth it to DS a star with under 80 factories, or to blow a star with under 80 factories.

Think about it. I think I'm right -- only if you consider a one-on-one fight.
                        Bite me.

Comment

I'm curious where you come up with that number, Kid.

Clearly, a factory is worth more than its initial investment because of the fact that it may have already produced ships for you, but 2x seems like a pretty high number.

I use 1 DP=40 ships, at least in part. In most games I don't build factory worlds larger than 40, and thus never buy DS for them.

Shannon

Comment

I think Kid is pulling your leg, guys. Kid loves DPs. He'll DP a planet with no factories if he has the cash to spare.
                            Got any World War II vets in the family? Check out my oral history web site, www.memoriesofwar.com

Comment

spread your factories around a little bit

That's my strategy. Look at game 033. within 1 day of the game start, the planet Rfugee was no more. My neighbours thought I was toast and were asking me if I was gonna give up. It was less than 20% of my factory production. The next day, my ships took over the homeworld of the person who DP'd me. Now I am ranked no 1 in the game.

Of course, there is one other important factor here. ALLIES! Make sure you start with lots of NAPs. Then after a few days, when you see how the game is going, decide whom you want for a game long ally and with whom you want to break your NAPs. Give proper notice and follow thru. If you don't, your name will become mud.

Thanks to Shade and Dahk for being good allies.

refugee
                              No you don't, have, to live like a refugee.

Comment

Working...
                              X