Announcement

Collapse

ZEALOTRY Users: Critical Notice on Continued Use

Edit: Our new HTML5 client (Orchil) is now open for beta testing in The Eternal City and Grendel's Revenge. Feel free to try give it a whirl at http://test.skotos.net/orchil/

Edit: We have made great strides toward a new HTML5 client, which should offer a replacement to Zealotry. We're hoping to release that in the very near future, but in the meantime, using Pale Moon remains the best method for ensuring there is zero interruption to your game playing during the transition.

As of November 14, Mozilla will be auto-updating all copies of Mozilla Firefox to Mozilla 57, a new edition of their browser that will disable all legacy add-ons. This will probably include the majority of the plug-ins that you use on Mozilla, including the Skotos Zealotry plug-in.

This is a big problem for us because Zealotry is the most stable of our clients at this time, and the one that we believe is in the widest use. There's unfortunately no easy way to update it, because we'd have to rewrite it from practically scratch, using their new programming system.

There are tricks that you could use to to prevent Mozilla updates, but we don't particularly suggest them, as you want to have a clean, secure browser. Fortunately, there are two alternative browsers that will support Zealotry. Each of them branched off of an earlier version of Mozilla Firefox, and each of them continues to be updated for important security issues.

Pale Moon Browser

The Pale Moon browser is our suggested replacement. It is a totally separate browser that branched off of Firefox some years ago. It will continue to support the classic plug-ins.

To install it:
  • Install Pale Moon (Windows & UNIX only)
  • Install the Zealotry XPI on Pale Moon
  • Restart the Pale Moon Browser
  • Play on Pale Moon

The official version of Pale Moon only supports Windows and UNIX, but you can also get a slightly less official version of Pale Moon for the Mac. We've tested it out and it looks like it's clean and works correctly, but use your own level of caution in working with the Mac variant.

If You Have Errors

Some users are experiencing "Content Encoding Errors" when using Pale Moon and Zealotry. As best we can tell, this is due to an incompatibility between Windows 8.1, Pale Moon, and Plugins. If you have this problem (or any other), we suggest instead using Mozilla's extended-release version of Firefox, which branched at Firefox 52. It's expected to remain supported until at least June 28, 2018, by which time Mozilla is planning to jump their ESR to a post-plugin phase. This is therefore a short-term solution, but we expect to have full release of our New HTML5 client well before that.

To install it:
The Big Picture

Our larger-scale goal is to introduce a new client that will be usable on any browser and make our games generally more accessible. We've had a HTML5 client in process since last year, but are currently hitting roadblocks that make a deployment before November 14 problematic. We've also just started a second project, which would be more specifically focused as a Zealotry replacement, without worries about new bells or new whistles. Both of these possibilities are being done out-of-house, by Skotos players, but they're receiving our highest level of attention for whatever support they need, as this is all our top priority.

So, consider this a short-term fix, but in the meantime if you use Zealotry, please download one of the alternative browsers and test them out ASAP.
See more
See less

People unwelcome in Docktown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People unwelcome in Docktown

The following people have been classified as unwelcome by the residents of Docktown, due to their unrepentant lack of respect to the good folk that live on this side of the city walls. They walk our streets under their own peril.
    • Steve Universo
    • Steve's cousin Andreas
    • Sturm

This message has been brought to you by the Docktowners.

I personally have never experienced Mister Steve to be anything less than polite.Perhaps a bit more detail is in order; for what reasons specifically have these men been banished? Moreover, by whose authority? Such a proclamation would be better served with the name of the person who proclaims such.

Dame Isidora di Cosenza, Mistress of the Hunt and Expedition

Comment

I agree with the Dame, I live in Docktown and have no issues with the list of members you've notated. I would like more details of why? I would also like to know whom the name of the poster is.

Miss Faith

Comment

The people of Docktown graciously understand the requests for clarification on the meaning of the original declaration and have put forth a more detailed statement.
        • Steve Universo has been understood to provoke and goad residents of Docktown, and attempting to present charges of assault after being on the losing side. His cousin Andreas has participated in his activities.
        • Sturm has been understood to speak ill of the streets of Docktown and putting on airs of being better than residents of similar station. He has also been deemed two-faced in his speech by declaring being able to "take out" Nobles of Newtown.
        The names presented are by no means banished from Docktown from a legal point of view. They are, as originally stated, unwelcome. However, their offenses have been noticed by the residents of Docktown. The original message intends to warn them of their current standing before popular opinion, and they are therefore recommended to stay within the vicinities of Newtown since their security can no longer be guaranteed.

Please bear in mind that this is not a conversation or debate, but an announcement of current standings as seen by Docktown. No further responses or clarifications will be offered. Further changes to the list will be posted as regularly as the servants of Docktown are able to, including addition and removal of these and other names.

Finally, the name of the poster lacks importance, being the point of these missives to reflect not the opinion of one individual, but of the heart and soul of those who choose to live on this side of the wall.

Comment

The voices of the streets have been heard, and two new names added to the list.
          • Steve Universo
          • Andreas
          • Sturm
          • Volerain, for consorting with Steve Universo, public drunkenness.
          • Achak, for treating some freedmen of Docktown as if they were slaves, blatant disrespect towards women.

Comment

Public drunkenness? Who seriously are these Docktowners because I assure you I am of Docktown and I don't care one bit if someone is drunk. Oh no that person got in a brawl, ban them from Docktown. This is just amusing.

Comment

Seem like thos Docktowners think they ar tea sippers from Newtown.

Comment

What I find amusing about this is the 'public drunkenness' comment, on those terms alone more than half of Docktown's current population should be banned. And on the disrespect of women- at least a handful more should be included on that list, enough to fill the bank's lobby just off the east commons at least. The rest of them I can see and understand.

Comment

Penned this Twenty-Sixth Day of Grass in the Year 898 Apres le Miracle

By whose right and authority do you, who claims to speak and write for all of Docktown, write such things?

I am personally offended to be included, by proxy, in such a proclamation, particularly when I can't remember anyone ever ~ officially or unofficially ~ inviting or gathering the residents of Docktown for such a conversation as is implied in this bold statement.

Obviously, it is a personal grudge against the citizens of Treskillian mentioned, and should be handled as such. That you would make a declaration on behalf of all of the residents of Docktown is dishonorable in the extreme, and presumptuous, disrespectful and hardly in the spirit of Docktown.

In all likelihood, you are even a new resident, and obviously unfamiliar with the freedom with which we ~ who have lived in and loved Docktown for its openness over what is likely to be significantly longer periods of time than you ~ are familiar.

I suggest that you remove or retract your proclamation before you earn the ire, scorn and ridicule of all of Docktown's true and long-standing residents.

Whether you reveal yourself publicly or not, your manner towards others will point you out, eventually.

And, when it does, I suggest ~ but do not dare to declare ~ a blacklisting of this arrogant soul until such a time as a proper duel is held with each of those who are offended by this reckless arrogance.

Until the End of Love,

Nuit

...And then, love ended; and then, night left.

Bonsoir, mes amis, mes amours.

Comment

Working...
                  X