Combat and Skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat and Skills

I know there are a multiplicity of threads on skills, combat and balance in the forums, but I thought to bring up a new post in order to have an updated conversation on the system as it is. If you feel this one's unnecessary, then roll the post into one of the previous threads and we can go from there.

Now, my character is very martially inclined, so the combat system is rather important to me in the character concept, but it's of course not that big of a deal. Also let me clarify that this is more of a curious question rather than a request to change things around to suit my taste. So Callais is moderately trained and still has a long way to go skills-wise, so I'm okay with him not being a powerhouse in combat. But lately he's been trounced, seriously trounced by muggers, characters with low stats, and I'm suspecting skinks would be kicking his butt too if they were allowed to attack.

He used to work consistently well with the previous fighting system, but the latest iteration just isn't cutting it. I'm suspecting that his weapon of choice, a saber, does not work like before, or the balance has been shifted somehow. Without getting too technical about rolls and stats, I want to ask the following questions:

1. Has Fencing as a skill changed somehow? As I recall, it used to go well for characters with high speed, or has the way attributes work changed from 2008 to now?

2. Do different weapons within one same skill have different stats or is the variety just for IC flair? I know Fencing uses rapiers, sabers, smallswords, foils and cutlasses. Is there any difference in the attack/defense rolls between these weapons? Callais used to work very well with a saber, but now I'm suspecting something has changed because he can't seem to hit anything even by accident. I'm going to try to switch things around now that he has some different weapons at his disposal but I am very curious as to how this is working right now.

3. Is there a plan to possible @appraise or otherwise get some additional information on these hidden weapon attributes so we may decide if they are suitable for our characters (not expecting exact numbers for mix/maxing, but if say a saber is rolling off Body + Fencing then it'd be nice to get a hint that this is a heavier weapon, fit for strongish characters), or are we expected to jump to conclusions by trial and error? I would be alright with the latter, if there was the possibility of engaging in a @spar that doesn't brutally wound our characters.

4. Speaking of, any chance of a @spar command where damage is negated, or at least the possibility of rebating weapons so that they do 0 damage?

Originally posted by Callais View Post
    1. Has Fencing as a skill changed somehow? As I recall, it used to go well for characters with high speed, or has the way attributes work changed from 2008 to now?
    Body is the default attribute used for melee combat. We've disabled the code that made different weapons use different attributes while balancing the base system. That may or may not change again in the future.

2. Do different weapons within one same skill have different stats or is the variety just for IC flair? I know Fencing uses rapiers, sabers, smallswords, foils and cutlasses. Is there any difference in the attack/defense rolls between these weapons? Callais used to work very well with a saber, but now I'm suspecting something has changed because he can't seem to hit anything even by accident. I'm going to try to switch things around now that he has some different weapons at his disposal but I am very curious as to how this is working right now.
    Yes they do have different stats, although the way those stats impact the combat has changed. Not all weapons have been updated, so their game balance is totally off.

3. Is there a plan to possible @appraise or otherwise get some additional information on these hidden weapon attributes so we may decide if they are suitable for our characters (not expecting exact numbers for mix/maxing, but if say a saber is rolling off Body + Fencing then it'd be nice to get a hint that this is a heavier weapon, fit for strongish characters), or are we expected to jump to conclusions by trial and error? I would be alright with the latter, if there was the possibility of engaging in a @spar that doesn't brutally wound our characters.
    No specific current plans for that, but we don't want to keep this secret. Probably the weapon description would strongly imply this information.

4. Speaking of, any chance of a @spar command where damage is negated, or at least the possibility of rebating weapons so that they do 0 damage?
    I REALLY want this, but it'll be mostly for RP, since making weapons do 0 damage throws out the entire balance of combat (where amount of damage is pretty key...) - and also because the "special effects" from weapons wouldn't respect that. So for example, if a quarterstaff can break your opponent's arm, then that'd still break their arm even if it was a spar.
    Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Hi Az, thanks for the answers!

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
      Body is the default attribute used for melee combat. We've disabled the code that made different weapons use different attributes while balancing the base system. That may or may not change again in the future.
      I figure Callais' meager body stat of 3 is the problem, then! I could set a new @priority to fix this, since I've never used it on Callais. But would you reenable @priority if you change once more the way attributes work? Otherwise characters in similar situations may remain broken.

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
      I REALLY want this, but it'll be mostly for RP, since making weapons do 0 damage throws out the entire balance of combat (where amount of damage is pretty key...) - and also because the "special effects" from weapons wouldn't respect that. So for example, if a quarterstaff can break your opponent's arm, then that'd still break their arm even if it was a spar.
      Yeah, I mostly want this for RP too!
      Last edited by Callais; 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

If you want to purely RP something out there's the option of using @roll with various attributes and skills.
        Dame Dasha di Silvi

Brigadier of the Royal Rinaldi Army.

Founder of di Silvi Academy
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_248_1474476427125_934[/ATTACH]

Comment

I'd like if there was a way to do contested rolls of one dice pool vs another, like in the book.

Maybe a @vroll skill skill skill vs skill skill skill, where the second list is skills for the opponent. Consent might be necessary if exposure of skill levels is an issue.

Or maybe the @roll command could remember its results in preparation for a "versus" type followup roll.

Comment

Working...
          X