Heresy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heresy

I initially thought about commenting in the crime boars but decided to write on forums:

According to the information I found in the ironclad sourcebook, Triskelian does not have heresy laws and many religions are worshiped in cit more or less openly. Even tho S'allumar is prevailing religion, others are not actively prosecuted. ( which lies with the fact that the whole setting is trying to be a renaissance era society - usually the religious difference will only be mentioned if political capital can be gained ( this is actually something that kind of confuses me in ico - all materials I found regarding Ironclaw suggest the setting is renaissance with magic, while ICO seems to push toward medieval with magic

However, returning to the issue: I did found Biscvarlet religion is officially S'alumer, and church membership is prescribed by law, but many do not obey and worshiping may older religions (for example Doloreux are openly Lutaran)

Additionally, this is clearly not a case of Heresy: heresy would be proclaiming new doctrines within S'alumer faith. in this case, it would be apostasy (abandoning one religion to accept another)(from wiki: is any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs or customs, in particular, the accepted beliefs of a church or religious organization. A heretic is a proponent of such claims or beliefs.[1] Heresy is distinct from both apostasy, which is the explicit renunciation of one's religion(cut the blasphemy part as it clearly does not relate here)

The "crime" also wouldn't be of interest of the City itself: this is not on the interest of constabulary. A member of the church could raise an issue, but even there this would be internal isse of Biscvarlet Embassy and the Church

The Constabulary have a set list of charges that we are to bring people up on by request of any citizen
    or by us ourselves having witnessed it. One of those charges is heresy and as described in our records a minor
    charge of heresy includes lingering in a forbidden Lutaran grove which all are.

The game world is not the same as the world in the books. As much as it tries to be.
    In game, S'allumer is the only religion not outlawed in the city of Triskellian.
    It has always been that way and likely will remain. At least I hope it does. Church
    persecution is super fun conflict to play out most of the time.

"Focus on the small, good things in your life. See them
    as little fireflies in the darkness surrounding you. Gather them up and put them in a jar and you'll
    have a nice nightlight to keep the darkness at bay."

-----------------------------

Noah, Adiza, Dallas, Tobias
    Once played Mattimeo (Matt), Drosnan, Seened, Patrick

Comment

On this, you should arrest whole dolo embassy. Lutara is state religion for them. And on the fun of conflict I beg to differ, but this is personal preference.

Comment

In ICO it's a known but not acted upon fact that the Dolo are largely Lutarans.
        I imagine because the Church doesn't want a holy war with a House of firearms that
        calls the mountains home. Outwardly though the Dolo support S'allumer to appease
        the Church in game lore. Really, the book is good to learn the histories and things of
        Calabria but a lot of the details are different in game.
        as little fireflies in the darkness surrounding you. Gather them up and put them in a jar and you'll

Comment

http://wp.skotos.net/ironclaw/2018/0...leplay-guides/

Also helpful!!!!

Comment

http://forum.skotos.net/forum/our-ga...ions#post94770

This one too. I really enjoyed this one.

Comment

Monophysisme - Banned heresy of S'Allumer
              Espiga Anonimo, Tergiversator, no fixed address
              "Psst! Don't listen to them! The founders of the S'Allumer faith were really from another world! It's true! We monephysismites are the keepers of the true manuscripts that they're trying to hide from you!"

This is an excellent example. This is an unorthodox sect of the Main church, which keeps base belief ( S'Allumer) and changes some core tenets ( founers-> alines) .whatmakes is heresy, is that main church felt t hi is too radical/dangerous to them/a way to get rid of powerful opponent to declare it to be a heresy.

But Lutara is not an S'alumer derivate, it is separate ( and older faith) as such case should be called apostasy, or blasphemy (if an accused person is not, in fact, changing faith, but instead church law forbids faithful to enter another religions place of faith ( however in discussed case it would work another way - Infidel ( S'alumer church member) entering a holy Lutheran place could be blasphemous against Lutara

@AltoholicI feel like you are defending your actions and yourself, while in fact I am attacking neither you nor your action, just am annoyed deeply by using the wrong term. What I am also attacking is inconsistencies in setting

For example is the grove itself offends church - it would have been destroyed, burned and turned into a chapel of the church. Its existence is illogical. It might have a sense for a while when it was secret ( for example) but moment it became known to church - it would be destroyed.

( i have much more against the setting which I find illogical, but this is something that I would discuss somewhere around a beer honestly, as i am really lazy - unless I get bored at work again )

Why am I annoyed - because illogical inconsistencies in social setting break my immersion ( and I do tend to really immerse in RPGs)

Comment

I'm not really defending myself though I can understand why it would come across that
                way. I have a deep love for this game and the setting in game. So I guess I come
                across as defensive. I'm sure the laws will be reviewed at some point and the wording changed
                or what have you.

On the topic of the grove though you have to take things into account out of character too.
                The grove is the only one of its kind that is readily available to the general public. So to
                destroy it would take away from the players that want to explore practicing Lutara in secret.
                Most I've met enjoy the outlawed aspect of the religion. It adds intrigue to an otherwise
                mundane aspect of a character. Conflict breeds good story. If Bilbo had stayed in the shire
                The Hobbit would have been a very dull book.

Comment

But what is the point of the secret shrine that everyone knows about? Just logically speaking.its just a trap to annoy people now.

And returning to my point heresy laws are 1 thing, but what happened was not a heresy. Apostasy, blasphemy, entering forbidden area maybe - but not heresy

Comment

We as constables don't camp spots like that so it's not really a trap. The only reason I tagged Morven was
                    because Dakota was in the area looking for muggers to shuttle off the gaol. I don't disagree with what you're saying
                    really just giving my point of view and stuff. I also agree that it probably shouldn't be part of the heresy laws.
                    I imagine the laws will be changed sooner rather than later.

Also, I'm not leaving the game. Calabria Chat is IC chatter on the forums. Dallas just
                    left the city.

Comment

I actually thought about the wonderful analogy, and I decided to write anyway.

Let's assume that orthodox religion is pizza Margherita: Simple and popular. Add some bacon and mushrooms, and you have a heterodox sect. A bit different, but acceptable. Now add pineapple and you have a heresy: the result is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. And if S'allumer is pizza, than lutara in this analogy will be Shepard's pie. A different dish If you switch from pizza to Shepard's pie its an apostasy. A blasphemy would be saying that you should not eat pizza because it is bad for your health. ^^ After some thought: a schism would be taking the pizza without paying, or maybe making your own restaurant on the opposite side of the road, that offers almost same pizza, but made by "more proper"chef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI
                      Last edited by Lamhirh; 12-11-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Altoholic View Post
                        We as constables don't camp spots like that so it's not really a trap. The only reason I tagged Morven was
                        because Dakota was in the area looking for muggers to shuttle off the gaol.
                        Actually, Dakota came along into the park just after Morven had gone into the grove to water the plants, and the entrance to the grove was still open, so Dakota wound up in there. Then, this happened:

Dakota arrives through the southern path.

OOC -- Dakota says, "Ignor"

OOC -- Dakota says, "There was an exit for some reason"

Dakota leaves through the southern path.

Morven watered, pruned, then turned and left. Not sure how long that takes, because it is a spam automated activity, meaning, a gardener tilts their watering can, and all of the plants and potted plants in the area are watered. Same with the shears. It is a fairly quick process, however, it just takes time to run down the individual plants. When she left the grove, immediately after tending the plants, Dakota was hanging around outside, sitting on the swing, dangling his hooves and doing nothing. Dakota did not say a word to Morven to ask her what she was doing, or let her know that he was curious about her activity, and in fact, all they did was talk about the weather, which was so cold that Dakota had his face bundled up and he was speaking muffledly through a scarf...while he sat on a swing in a park on the waterfront. I would have felt better about the entire situation had it been dealt with immediately, IC, instead of the whole OOC "ignore" request, because it does look kind of suspicious (to me, at least) that he was sitting around in the bitterly, freezing, cold, dangling his hooves on a swing....supposedly "people watching." (Probably not a place I would expect to see someone "people watching," as there are not a lot of passers-by down there.)

As an aside, I know it looks weird to see the gardener folks watering plants and pruning them in the rain or snow, but the plants in ICO do not recognise that they are being watered, and that it is the depths of winter and they should not be growing, so, these tasks must continue, or the plants do get withered and sad.

All of that being said, the situation is where it is, and I feel like we are moving forward appropriately with what we have.

~Morven

Comment

Working...
                        X