List of Houses
    Noble House: Bisclavret (wolves)
    Noble House: Avoirdupois (Equine)
    Noble House: Doloreaux (Boar)
    Noble House: Rinaldi (Vulpine)
    Other Folk of Calabria
    Clans of Phelan

A Story to Set the Mood

Three young creatures scamper along the path to a small private plantation style home. The party of beasts include a fox, a rabbit and an otter.

"Try not to embarrass us, Ransy." exclaims the fox.
    "I won't" replies Ransy Rabbit in a slight whine.
    The otter adds, "Good. Otherwise we won't let you come up here again."

The group reaches the door and knocks tentatively. A minor slit in the portal slides open to reveal a pair of suspicious eyes.

A voice emanates from the eyes, "Hmm? What's this? Bandits!! Please, leave me be, I'm just an old man..."
    The fox responds with a giggle, "Sir, it's not bandits. It's us! Hetman said we could come visit if we finished our chores."
    The otter speaks hopefully, "We brought radishes! "
    The eyes grow attentive, "Radishes, you say?"

The door opens easily, permitting the children to enter. Now revealed is an old raccoon dressed in simple, comfortable clothes.

The raccoon speaks invitingly, "I suppose I could open the door for bandits who bring me radishes. Come in, come in. The pot is near boiling already."

The scene dissolves to nothing and expands centered on a boiling pot over a quaint firepit. The children huddled to one side and across from them is the raccoon stirring the contents of the cauldron.

The raccoon addresses them, "I see a new face today. Ransy, isn't it?"
    Ransy Rabbit answers timidly, "Um, yeah..."
    Satisfied that the stew is doing fine, the raccoon leans back takes on a narrative note, "Young Ransy, I'll let you pick the story today. What would you like to hear?"
    Ransy Rabbit brightens noticably, "Um, ...something with... wizards in it?"

The raccoons eyes turn up in thought, his hand scratching subconciously at his chin as his tale begins.

"Hmm... wizards... let's see... Once, a long time ago, the land was not as we know it today. The buildings were made of silver and gold, and towering spires glistened above the landscape. In those days, the wizard-kings, the Autarchs, ruled the land by means of their arcane powers... Despite their great knowledge and prowess in the magical arts, they were short-sighted and greedy, ever eager to expand their empires. The Autarchs fought wars on a scale never seen before or since, with each Autarch wreaking havoc and devestation than the last..."

Images of a great war flicker across the minds of the listeners. Row upon row of magical creatures facing each other, blinding lights and burning sorcery scorch the air between them.

"Inevitably, the damage they wrought was too great for the gentle earth, fields became barren, mountains were laid low, continents were sunk beneath the sea. The Autarchs' quests for supreme power brought only their self-destruction."

The pictures in their thoughts change to a deserted landscape, devoid of flora or fauna, the sky a burnt copper bowl, the land a blackened crust.

"Our ancestors knew that upon these ashes must be built a new world. One not of madness, but of reason. New skills were learned, nre cities were built, and the new races learned to respect the land, water, and air as part of themselves."

The raccoon stretches and rises. The young group blink themselves back to reality, the spell of words broken and real life descends.

"And with that, my young friends, I'm afraid I must continue our stories another time. These old joints ache and beg for rest."
    "AWWWWWW...", goes up from the trio.
    "But... what about the knights? and monsters?", they add.
    Grinning contently the raccoon claims, "Another time, another time. If your here after the sun sets, the Hetman will have my hide."
    "Yes, sir." is heard from the dutiful fox.
    The otter whispers to himself, "...next time, we'll have a story about monsters..."

The avid listeners have now departed and the old raccoon stands at the closed door, a relaxed sigh escaping his lips. He prepares to finish the meal he started earlier as he contemplates youth aloud.

"To be young again, and see the world as a place of wonder..."
    Detecting something behind him, his eyes look over his shoulder, recognition in them, "So--when did you first come in?"
    A shadowed figure responds with a low, breathy voice, "A while ago. Tsk. Telling stories to children... I hope you still have mettle in your 'old bones'. I have come to call on you--our lord has need of your services again."
    The raccoon straightens and responds quickly, "I pledged to serve, I will do so. When do we leave?"
    The bat steps from the shadows to eye the pot, "After we eat. Where we are going, there are no radishes..."
    Last edited by TonyD; 06-08-2006, 09:17 PM.
    ~StoryHost Death

Death@Ironclaw.Skotos.net
    Dragon Pieces

Originally posted by Plato
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.

Calabria

This rather large island of Calabria is centered in the important shipping lanes between the West and the East. Over the centuries, many races of folk have made this island their home, and today the Great Noble Houses struggle to control this one small place of a much greater world.

Age of High Magic
    Scholars, theologians, and other learned men are divided on what exactly the dawn of time was like. However, many agree that centuries, if not millennia ago, the world was ruled by the heavy hand of wizard-kings called the Autarchs. The Autarchs were able to conjure forth spells that modern-day magicians can only dream of. They forged empires that ran across the continents. Often the fate of an army could be decided with but a single spell.
    The legends say that the Autarchs used their magic to build citadels and fortresses on a scale that would boggle modern-day engineers. Some accounts describe the Autarchs as wise and benevolent rulers, who used their great power to create a golden age of prosperity, when all peoples wanted for nothing and none were treated cruelly or unjustly. Other tales paint a different picture — one of tyrants lording over a myriad of slaves, with dire and unthinkable torments for any who dared oppose their unquestionable rule.

How long this age lasted is uncertain, and exactly how it ended is even more uncertain. Perhaps the Autarchs “transcended” this mundane existence and moved on to a “higher plane”. Or perhapes the oppressed populace rebelled against their cruel masters. One theory supposes that the Autarchs’ magic summoned forth a force so powerful, so awful, that they were unable to contain it, and it devastated the lands and laid their great civilization low. Conjecture aside, all that remains of the Age of High Magic are cryptic ruins and some very rare books printed in unintelligible scripts of forgotten languages.

Age of Reason
    What is clearly a matter of record is the rise of the current empires throughout the Known World. Today, the Great Noble Houses command powerful armies and naval fleets. The fickle and erudite nature of sorcery has been foresworn in favor of the simple brutality of sword, musket, and shield.
    People today believe themselves to live in a glorious age of wonders. The invention of the printing press has made books cheaper and more available to the greater public. New sailing ships and navigation equipment have given merchants and explorers a reach greater than ever known before. And, the distillation and preparation of gunpowder is changing the shape of warfare, while at the same time enabling mining and engineering projects on a grand scale.

In fact, gunpowder is one of the more dramatic changes. Formerly, the knight in full armor was the “ultimate war machine”, second only to the rare and unusual warrior-wizard. However, a bullet can pierce even the best plate mail. And though fireballs and lightning bolts may fly far and true, it takes long years of tedious study to become an accomplished wizard, whereas even an ignorant peasant can pull a trigger.

Magic is not unknown — but it is not widespread. Few have the patience or presence of mind to cast spells, and those that do jealously guard their secrets. The language barriers between disparate geographic regions don’t help, either — not to mention the cryptic ciphers often found in books of yore.

The Known Lands and the Continent of Calabria
    Calabria’s first inhabitants are lost in the mists of time. Surely a great race lived there once - in the forgotten corners of the land, monuments have been left to their passing.
    Thousands of years must have passed before the Great Houses made their marks on the land, beginning as mere immigrants upon the landscape from the rest of the world. The first to appear were the cunning Rinaldi. They were swiftly followed by the Doloreaux and Avoidupois then Bisclavret emerged as the newest of the Great Houses. None can say from whence they originally came and this has been a source of some debate. Navigators and scholars agree that the earth is round, and that there are many lands yet to be discovered beyond the horizon.
    ~StoryHost Death

Dragon Pieces

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.

Comment

"Herein included is a selection from the journals of Dmitri Yenot, never a holier and scholarly man was there in Calabria. He shirked not his duty and was good a friend as any ever had. May his words enlighten you and make you wiser than I have been.
      -The Archcardinal of Triskellian Joseph

An Excerpt from the Travels: Concerning the Various Faiths Practiced in Triskellian
      Upon my arrival in Triskellian, I could not but marvel at the variety of faiths practiced therein. Beyond being the sight of revelations of Helloise and the emergence of S'allumer, it is the gracious host to not less than two and ten different faiths. True, Triskellion is the largest of cities upon the continent but I was astounded. I have had time amongst my other duties as ship's navigator to briefly describe but a few of these. Of all these I would not have had a complete chronicle had it not been for the assistance of the justice Roi de Pome and His Most Revered Cardinal Joseph. Also included is a letter from my brother describing, in an edited form, his encounter with the Chevernaise in the wastes of the Rothos Mountains. I have done so for the illumination of my House and patron. I can only hope that my simple efforts reward them both. May I bring no shame to them.

A Light Shines in Triskellian
      "I am the word of the light. The light of all, your Father. You have done wrong. But the strong of spirit and eye shall withstand my withering gaze. I give you life as long as the rains have drenched you. For without the water of the spirit I am death. I am the desert sun which consumes all and destroys what it touches."
      -The Don (Le Temoin 1:25)

Like many here in Triskellian my first stop was one of pilgrimage. Prior to my departure from our ancestral manor, I was given up to the light by our priest. I began some short distance away from the Cathedrale to recite the verses known to me. I have not long been a Penitent and have yet to receive my initiation, which occurs one year after accepting the radiance. But, even in my crude state, I could feel the peace that purity brings. As I walked towards the House of Helloise, the site of her final miracle, I found that my step was lightened and my way brighter the closer I kept my mind to the Holy Light. Upon reaching the Cathedrale, I turned and bowed first in the direction of the east and thence in the direction of the west. I then entered the Cathedrale and stood, an ignorant child, agape at the glory of the Light.

The Cathedrale de Temoin blinded me, such was its radiance, for here the sun never sets. The walls were set with murals of shining tile three times the height of the tallest tree and the arches stretched toward the heavens so that my scholar's eyes could not see the end of them. Each mural depicts a scene from the early history of the church, including the Witnessing of Helloise, the Testing of the Miracles, and the Final Miracle of Helloise. The magnificent dome was created by force of magic and is sustained to this day by a holy radiance that buoys it up and makes it transparent to the natural occurrence of the Father, the sun wanderer.

I walked forward across the white floor and the Cathedrale was crowded with many people of all the kinds and types of Calabria. I even saw a bat hanging in a shady alcove, head bowed in silent supplication. I made my way through the throng, advanced to the junior's shrine, and there bought a candle to place in silent memory of the sacrifices of my mother and my kinsman. For this is the noble realization, "To become a vessel of the eternal light and be its gate to the world. What purer and more holy goal could their be? To become the sacrifice and through the act of abandon serve all." (Le Temoin 7:36)

A Brief History
      For those unfamiliar with S'allumer, I here include a short description of its history and a cataloguing of its miracles. The Faith is based upon a sacred text dictated by the Don of the Rinaldi, recovered some several hundred years ago. The name S'allumer means "to light up" or "illuminate"; its principle Le Temoin. It is said that the voice of the Eternal Light, the Pancreator of All There Is, spoke through the dying Don upon his death bed. He was a holy man who loved both his family and his subjects as a father should. He could be stern at times and did not spare the rod yet he was generous and mild.

"His voice was like the thunder and all the light of a summer storm flowed forth from his eyes as he spoke. I was truly terrified and my spirit shrank as his holy gaze fell upon me for I knew that I was not worthy."
      Helloise, Nurse to the Rinaldi
      (Le Temoin 1:30

His teachings were recorded by (the Nurse to the Rinaldi) Helloise. She was a commoner who became enlightened at the moment the Shining Path touched her. She became a favorite within the courts of the land, and as her fame grew she touched others with the strength of her revelation and her power. She performed miracles of healing and even brought the dead back from the grave as if they had never passed from this world. Such miracles had not been seen for thousands of years and were spoken of as myth. Her final miracle was the saving of the entire city from a disastrous plague. She so loved the inhabitants, praying so resolutely for their release from suffering, that in an act that can only be called a loving sacrifice she offered herself to the Eternal Light. At the instant of her death it is recorded that a figure of purest white appeared from the heavens and took her hand. She then dissolved completely into a cloud of white radiant light. That very day the city was completely expunged from the plague that was on the verge of destroying it.

As true witnesses to her ascension the whole of the Rinaldi court converted on the day of her death. They were soon to be followed by the Bisclavret and the Avoirdupois royal houses. The Doloreaux royals accepted the radiance only recently. Many commoners have converted and as Triskellion is home of the "House of Helloise," as the Cathedrale is known to the common folk; it is the center of worship for the faith.

As Penitents, we work to be worthy of final release consumed in the radiance of the Eternal Light and in that comsumption to be of service to others. Only those capable of giving up all their failings and misdeeds can become one with the flame that lights all the world, realizing and atoning for all their offenses by yielding to grace and compassion for all beings.

A Wise and Generous Doloreaux
      Having completed my pilgrimage to the Cathedrale, I remembered my Father's wish that I visit an old friend of his, and to deliver unto him a letter and a selection of plan cuttings which had been entrusted to my care. Father did not detail his past association with the Doloreaux noble I was to visit except to say that he was a scholar and botanist. The Justice Roi de Pome was a most gracious host and I spent almost the entirety of my time in Triskellian wandering his gardens, for which the Doloreaux are so well known, and reading his massive and astounding library. Therein I discovered certain references to a series of holiday festivals still practiced in the heart of the Doloreaux homelands.

The text, titled Vivant Saison, could have easily been mistaken for one of a collection of hundreds that the justice had on the high art of flowering tree gardens. However, as I leafed through its yellowed pages, the realization dawned that this could only be an account detailing the practice of the Doloreaux's secretive religion. The book went on to describe the practice of the religion at present in the hinterlands. I spent the rest of the day and evening pondering the implications of this book and its contents.

The next day I had mustered enough courage to inquire as to the current practice of the Old Faith by the local Doloreaux. The justice looked askance at me and I fancy a small smile graced his mouth. My host merely replied, "It is spring here, my young friend, and the trees are nearly in full bloom. Are they not beautiful?" The Justice made a sweeping gesture indicating his gardens, resplendent with the blooms of the peach, cherry, and pomegranate trees. I replied that they were magnificent and a true credit to his skill as a gardener and botanist. He answered my statement with a grimace of such force that I was taken aback. He then walked over to the nearest peach tree and brought forth from it a silken and fragrant bloom. Gesturing toward it he inquired, "Of whose making is this flower?" Perplexed by the question, I answered that surely it was as true a vessel of the divine radiance as any here. He frowned again and released the branch that he held. Turning to me he said, "Young man, have you any idea what you are about here? No, I can see that you don't. I shall assist you. Please be my guest at a banquet this evening." With that we parted ways, I to my studies and he to his court.

I as most uneasy about the Justice's invitation and searched for some method to avoid my appointment. But the house's head servant found me in the library and bid me dress in the fine clothes that the Justice had provided for the occasion. They were of an exquisite fit, and I wondered how he happened to have in his closet clothes that seemed tailored for me. ((((truncated))))
      Last edited by Death; 05-09-2006, 06:18 PM.
      ~StoryHost Death

Dragon Pieces

Comment

City of Triskellian - InDepth

"Honorable Guild-Master Navigator Maratuch:
        My greetings and prayers unto you. I would that this were a happy writing. I have of late received the map of Triskellian which I commossioned from you a fortnight ago. As I gazed upon it I could not help but notice certain inaccuracies and omissions of detail. Your depiction of the Cathedrale of Temoin is almost heretical. By eliminating its majestic dome and replacing it with a single spire, you cheat it of its beauty. Our marvelous aqueduct system has been reduced to a mere trickle. Those reading this map would think us lax indeed, for they could only assume that we throw our offal into the streets. Our grand markets, which are equaled by none, you have reduced to a mere blank space. All who know the truth will surely realize the Great Market is only one of a dozen spread throughout the parishes. To sum up this letter, I will not levy unto you the sum of two aureals for which you originally asked. Either correct your errors or receive no payment."

5th of Hawthorn Moon, 2nd of Fidelio
        Faithful servant of the Light,
        Master Merchant Trallius of House Belette

Brief History
        Upon the Bay of Auvrich in the lands of Lykaemon lies the city of Triskellian. Rumors abound that buildings in the older parts of the city are far older than any modern history book. The bulk of affairs take place in the new districts, near the dockyards - where the Guilds hold sway.

The vulpine Rinaldi were the founding family, led by their powerful and wise patriarch Don Jon. He rebuilt Triskellian around its ancient ruins and established his clan there and in the surrounding territory. Triskellian grew to be a port city and, since transport of goods overland was dangerous and expensive, it flourished. The Granvert River and the roads from the north brought the wealth of Calabria to Triskellian's markets. Here one can find Bisclavret timber, Doloreaux gems and Avoirdupois armor. The Rinaldi's influence on the other houses is great, for it is in their city where fortunes are made and lost. Here is the place to find a tradesman of the finest skill, a mage of the highest caliber and a thief of great ability.

The Rinaldi are not without their troubles. Of late, they have become more and more consumed with infighting and have let their precious city slip away. Some say it is the recent conversion to S'allumer by the Don and his high court that led to the disappearance of one of the duchesses and her reluctance to come into the Light. But they still rule with an iron fist and an eye for the market. Should trouble ever arise, the Rinaldi are well defended by more than military might. Their city is home to many of the Houses' highest nobles and their fortunes will not be easily taken.

Current Affairs
        Today, the Guild Council controls the police, the dockyards, the gates, the libraries - everything within the city save the deed itself. Their power is economic in nature. Triskellian is far too valuable as a free trading port for the Great Houses. Thus its very prosperity is its mightiest shield. What of the Rinaldi? They are far from powerless. Their might is more in the market, the Church, and their cunning than in any army.

Friends and Foes
        Triskellian is situated on the inlet of the Granvert River and the Bay of Auvrich. Being the southern-most port it never freezes over and is in an easily-defended position. Should any one army lay siege to the city, it can always be resupplied by its allies, for no one Noble House has the strength to both blockade the city and besiege it simultaneously. Hills and farmland surround it on the north, west, and east sides. A few centuries ago, a wall was built around the city. When the population expanded, new buildings were built outside the "old" wall, eventually a "new" wall was built around the entire town. These two districts are often referred to as "Old Town" and "New Town."

Landmarks of Triskellian
        (These are not necessarily represented in our gameworld yet and some may never be)

Cathedrale de Temoin:
        Located on the border of Old Town, this sprawling edifice stands as a monument to the compassion of Helloise. It is the central icon and holy site for the faith of S'allumer. Its giant ivory dome dominates the northeastern skyline of Triskellian. The Cathedrale, besides being a place of reverence, is a site of great learning and contains what may be the largest library in the known world. Penitents make a pilgrimage to it each year, flooding Triskellian with customers and bedeviling the Constabulary.

The Old Tower:
        In the middle of Old Town, there stands an unused crumbling watchtower. Today, the tower is too short and the city too large for it to offer a view of anything but the dilapidated inner city. The Old Tower has become a favorite hangout of criminals and other unsavory elements. If you wish trouble for yourself or others, the Old Tower and its surrounding parish are where it is to be found.

The Aqueducts:
        The founders of Triskellian designed an intricate system of canals, sewers, tunnels, and channels for transporting water. The Constabulary puts alot of effort into keeping the Aqueducts in good condition. Often, work-gangs of arrested criminals are put to work busting clogs, mortaring stones, and doing alot of the unsavory heavy labor.

The Three Spears Inn:
        An expensive, rambling structure at the north gate to the city, the Three Spears Inn is famous for its plushly-furnished rooms, its warm bath and cold baths, and its outrageous prices.

Climate
        Triskellian is on the southern coast of Calabria, where the summers are pleasant though not extremely hot. Storms come in from the west and pass upward into the plains of the Avoirdupois. The winters are cold, although the bay does not freeze over. The ports are open throughout the year.

Flora and Fauna
        Triskellian is a town of brick, stone, and earth which has been worked on by thousands of inhabitants over hundreds of years. Most dwellings are stone, with the streets paved with cobblestone. What little greenery there is exists only in the private walled gardens of the rich Guild Masters, Merchant Captains and Nobles. The only fauna are the drays and similar livestock at the market and the vermin in the sewers and dark corners.

Economy
        Because Triskellian is a port of call, most trading and economic transactions are done in the currency of the Rinaldi. The denar, as the silver coin is called, is worth a Stevedore's work for half a day. The only other coin used is the aureal; it is gold and is worth 24 denarii. Those who are too poor to earn denarii trade in barter and are usually paid in the same manner. Barter is not restricted exclusively to the lower classes. Nobles and Guild Masters simply barter in more expensive items and services. A full third of the city's trade is still done by barter.

The Guilds of Triskellian
        Triskellian is an unusual city; it alone on Calabria has guilds independent of the noble houses. They have the House Rinaldi to thank for their freedom. Over the years the Rinaldi have been more and more consumed with infighting and have left more and more of the city's administration to the Guilds and Constabulary.

Guilds in other lands and cities are generally beholden to the nobility for profit and advancement. Some hundred years ago Auvrich II, then Don of the Rinaldi, became tired of running the city and keeping up with court intrigue. The Avoirdupois were contesting the Doloreaux claims and fighting had broken out along their common border. In haste Don Auvrich II appointed a Council of the then largest Guilds in the city with the mayor of the Constabulary to oversee the city's governance. The guilds which comprise the Council are: Merchants, Ironsmiths, Navigators, Shipwrights, Millers & Weavers.

When a young child is taken as apprentice, he can expect to serve his Master in every capacity. A cooper's apprentice, for example, can be expected to clean the shop, care for the tools and run all manner of errands. For the first several years he will learn only the rudiments of barrel making. It will only be later, when the Master is satisfied of his readiness, that the true secrets of the craft will be passed along. The Master, for his part, is bound by the Orders of the Guild to teach his craft in full and to the best of his ability.

The time in apprenticeship varies from craft to craft and trade to trade, ranging from five to eight years. When apprentices have successfully completed their trials, they are brought into the Guild as Journeymen. Then they either leave the services of the Master to set up another shop (often many leagues away in another city), or the Journeymen stay on at the Master's as senior craftsmen.

If he chooses to leave then he may take on apprentices of his own. He then becomes a Master in his own right. Not all Masters are created equal. Those who have distinguished themselves in the quality and perfection of their craft will have more apprentice applicants to choose from. This allows the truly talented master room to pick and choose, thus insuring that he gets only the most talented apprentices. He thereby increases his reputation further.

Customs
        The citizenry of Triskellian are very cosmopolitan. All manner of commoner and noble can be found wandering its streets and skulking in its shadows. People arrive from dozens of lands, bringing their own customs. Within the city, people of like culture live together in parishes. Each parish has its own distinct flavor and atmosphere. To find oneself amongst the otters is to be assured of a tasty meal, while to find oneself amongst the rats is to risk larceny, at best.
        Last edited by Death; 05-09-2006, 06:20 PM.
        ~StoryHost Death

Dragon Pieces

Comment

...continued...

Laws
          The citizenry of Triskellian prefer to think of themselves as "free," without the need for lords and masters. However, the charter of the city still acknowledges the Guild Council and the Mayor to be commoners, and not of noble birth - and as such, the magistrates and constables of Triskellian can only mete out "low justice," the law of common folk. Nobles of the "blooded" royal families can only be tried by other nobles, not by "low judges."

High Justice is meted out by the High Court, whose Justices are entirely of noble birth. There is one representative from each of the Great and Minor houses. They are appointed by their sovereigns for a period of not less than five years. Holding a proceeding of the court requires that there must be enough justices present to form a quorum (three-quarters of the total membership). The High Court deals with all the aspects of the law involving nobilitiy save those which are reserved for the monarchy.

The Court of Commoners metes out low justice. These courts are presided over by the Magistrates. The Magistrates in turn report to the High Justices but are accountable only to the local officials. Magistrates hold proceedings most every day of the week and deal with all aspects of the law save those concerning the nobility. A typical session of Court might consist of hearing a murder case, simple larceny and minor trade disputes among commoners.

The commoner police, known as the Constabulary, can only hold gentry in custody, later handing them over to one of the three noble families for trial. Often issues of "legitimacy" crop up. Can an Avoirdupois criminal be tried in a Bisclavret court and expect a fair trial? The constables of Triskillion aren't always particular to whom they deliver their prisoner...but sometimes bribes or other favors play a role in the decision-making process.

Religion
          As with customs, religion also varies from parish to parish. However, the city is the home of the Penitents of S'allumer, which is the primary religion of Calabria. The city observes all the high holy days of S'allumer, and every seventh day of the week is the day of Dimache where it is forbidden to exchange money within the city limits, by clerical and secular law. Each year pilgrims from across the land gather in the city to visit the Cathedrale de Temoin.

Armed Forces
          The Constabulary is composed of about three hundred regulars called "Captains", and six hundred or so "Deputies". The Guildsmen pay for their arms, armor, and wages from the excise taxes they collect. Constables are also entitled to shares of loot from arrested criminals. On the whole, the Constables are well paid, have high morale, and are seasoned combatants. They are also the best-equipped force in the known world, having all of the best arms and armor. The Constables drill for both skirmishes and for sieges, usually in plain view of noble house emissaries to "keep them guessing". The Constabulary of Triskellian claims to remain neutral in the conflict between the Houses of Avoirdupois, Bisclavret, and Doloreaux. The constables tend to err on the side of the High Court in matter of the nobles.

Language
          The original tongue of the Rinaldi, and thus Triskellian, was Matriloquentia. Many Rinaldi nobles still speak it with a heavy accent, and some of the older Guild Masters do too, especially those who know the finer points of the law. Some Penitant ceremonies are conducted entirely in this older tongue. Today, the common language of Triskellian and the rest of the island is Calabrese. However, on the dockyards, the better merchants know a handful of languages to deal with their hodgepodge crew and their various customers.

Names
          The original Rinaldis have Calabrese names. Some example given names for women include Agata, Bianca, Carlotta, Giulia and Volante; for men, Arnaldo, Davide, Enzo, Fidelio, Paolo, and Salvatorio. The polygot population of the city, coming from a dozen languages and cultures, has a wide variety of names.
          Last edited by Death; 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM.
          ~StoryHost Death

Dragon Pieces

Comment

Other Places of Note

Epinian
            If Triskellian is a warm welcoming place, Epinian is its sallow younger sister, with an economy based primarily on precious ores and specialized mining. Its weather is severe and even the warmest day will barely melt the frost on the ground. The port is often frozen over and thus the only way to get its load of rich ore is through the Rothos Mountains.

Paludestris
            The southwest coast of Avoirdupois lands, rather than being useful timberland, is a morose swamp known as the Paludestris. Issuing forth from its murky depths are odors and legends more foul than any childhood imaginatings. Many enter its shade and never return. While some would say that monsters or ghosts inhabit the place, skeptics will note that the Paludestris is a popular retreat for bandits and thieves away from the forces of law. Recent rumors abound that the Family of Jakoba, a noble house of grey foxes that has fallen into disgrace, inhabit the darker places of the swamp, where they practice the black arts.

The Broken Coast
            A set of reefs, fjords, and islands northwest of Epinian, the Broken Coast is almost impossible to navigate - the shallow waters threaten the hulls of larger ships, and the whirlpools will swamp the smaller craft. In the winter, the narrow inlets freeze over and can often be crossed on foot, if one is willing to take the risks. More than one charlatan has sold a map or book purported to disclose some forgotten artifact of the Autarchs with its location being one of the nearly identical islands of the Broken Coast.

The Corsair Islands
            On the opposite side of Calabria, the Corsair Islands are very much what the Broken Coast is not: well-known and hospitable, with many safe harbors. To the chagrin of all merchants, these islands are the base of operations for the growing pirate trade. Rumors abound of a "pirate city," rife with lawlessness and greed, where ruffians live like kings. At present, few put stock in such wild tales, but as more ships are ransacked and more wealth is stolen, the idea of such a place does not sound as far-fetched.
            Last edited by Death; 05-09-2006, 06:22 PM.
            ~StoryHost Death

Dragon Pieces

Comment

Working...
            X