Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

Death: It's neither permanent -nor- serious business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what we have AA's for, the thing of the killer deciding what happens to the body.

The city is a "safe-area" which means there's consent to death, and thereby consent to perma-death.

Not all players like the idea of permadeath, in particular not if they've invested a lot into the char (RP, relationships, StP mods and so on).

Again, it's something you can easily agree about ooc'ly if it comes up.
    Dame Dasha di Silvi

Brigadier of the Royal Rinaldi Army.

Founder of di Silvi Academy
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_248_1474476427125_934[/ATTACH]

Comment

I think this can all be handled by cooperative role play and open communication between players of the assailant and deceased.

Only the player has the choice to consent to perma deaths and in order to do that, you will need to discuss it as an option and proceed accordingly through deletion of the character.

It does make for great story and I agree with Dasha that more people should consider it as an option to make death more serious than it currently is.

But it really does come down to working together with your fellow players and deciding how the story line will progress. At some point you will need to communicate together so that consent is squared away and you are aware that the death has become permanent as a result of actions taken by the perpetrator of the crime. Without that communication none of it would work.

So you could absolutely follow a storyline like the one you proposed, you just need to communicate player to player to achieve it.

Comment

Unfortunately once the victim is dead, that sort of cooperation is forbidden.

Once the victim passes into limbo, anything that happens IG afterward is contraband they're not supposed to know about, so discussing it would be against the rules.

Which means that anything allowing the killer discretion after the fact has to be done without the victim player's involvement.

I suppose this is one reason that staff simply make you decide ahead of time for yourself and don't let you delegate to the killer. It is quite contentious, and this is their game to run as they see fit.

My key point was that the present system doesn't allow the situation to react to new developments IG. Either you survive and eventually come back, or you don't and body or no you're gone for good. Neither one lets the killer have any say in changing his mind if something new comes up after the victim dies.

Comment

You're making problems that don't need to be there.

It's easy to pause a scene after you've been knocked out of combat, and the kill command typed, where you have to give consent, and use a few min there to determine what happens, or tell your killer that they can do whatever etc.

Not to mention, there's always forums to discuss through.

Personally, I'd be upset if my char gets killed in a safe zone, and it's the other player who decides if I ever get to RP with that char again or not. That is my choice, not that of others. That's why we have consent. If I couldn't decide the perma-death part myself, I wouldn't even consent to the kill in the first place, which would ruin potential RP.

It's an entirely different matter when it's in a danger zone. You enter that KNOWING you might never come back. It's a calculated risk you take.
          Dame Dasha di Silvi

Comment

Yeah...I think we had a misunderstanding.

My idea is to allow the victim to *give* the choice to the killer if he wants to, not that he should have it automatically.

Comment

And that's where I say it's easy to talk about that before you say @yes to being killed, or via forum messages afterwards
              Dame Dasha di Silvi

Comment

I believe that @page still works, even after death, doesn't it? (I haven't tested, and might be mistaken...)
                Edit: I was mistaken. So you'd need to communicate through some other pre-agreed OOC channel, such as exchanging email addresses.

If so, that seems to be the appropriate channel. The player of the dead PC can still log into the game (and finds themselves in the underworld) and they can @page the killer and say "Hey, just letting you know that I'm cool with resurrection or permadeath, depending on what you want to do with the body"

Depending on that discussion, the killer can then know whether they can RP throwing the body in a fire, or whatever.

The only area where we might need coded or staff support is for the delay - by default, the corpse will be returned to the cathedral and resurrected after a certain time limit. This is to stop anyone being "forgotten" or "permakilled by default" (e.g. if their corpse is put in another PCs room, and then that PC stops logging in, or deletes, or something.)

That means that we can't wait longer than that set delay to drag out a plot. Any ransom demands need to be completed by that point, etc.

I've got no objection to giving the dead PC the ability to extend that delay. I don't know how strong the demand for that is, though, so this is something that I'd likely look at while updating other code about the death system, and I don't know when that would be.

But if people are clamouring for this feature, let me know
                Last edited by SHAzrael; 12-08-2015, 06:51 PM.
                Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Actual game staff to the rescue. Probably should have summoned earlier.

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
                  I believe that @page still works, even after death, doesn't it? (I haven't tested, and might be mistaken...)
                  I actually reported a bug related to that I learned about after getting out of limbo. An offline page left to my corpse never reached me until I revived.

If so, that seems to be the appropriate channel. The player of the dead PC can still log into the game (and finds themselves in the underworld) and they can @page the killer and say "Hey, just letting you know that I'm cool with resurrection or permadeath, depending on what you want to do with the body"
                  Actually I think on ICO you can only page staff. However they could probably be used as a relay between the killer and the victim if desired, but I've never done that before.

Depending on that discussion, the killer can then know whether they can RP throwing the body in a fire, or whatever.

The only area where we might need coded or staff support is for the delay - by default, the corpse will be returned to the cathedral and resurrected after a certain time limit. This is to stop anyone being "forgotten" or "permakilled by default" (e.g. if their corpse is put in another PCs room, and then that PC stops logging in, or deletes, or something.)

That means that we can't wait longer than that set delay to drag out a plot. Any ransom demands need to be completed by that point, etc.

I've got no objection to giving the dead PC the ability to extend that delay. I don't know how strong the demand for that is, though, so this is something that I'd likely look at while updating other code about the death system, and I don't know when that would be.

But if people are clamouring for this feature, let me know
                  My ultimate wish is to allow the victim's player's permadeath consent to be delegated at will, including to the killer.

But allowing the PC to stall the auto-revive delay from limbo would be a nice feature. I like it.

Comment

Sure. And your request has been heard.

With coding resources and current priorities, I don't expect any updates to the death code in the near future - but if/when we're updating the code, we'll take this idea into consideration.

As I said - if players feel this should be a higher priority, let us know. We're building this game for you guys, and want to know what you most want to see.
                    Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Working...
                    X