This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokens!

Written for you by our lovely StoryPlotter Sirazad. Useful information, as tokens will (hopefully) be more and more important for plots, going forward.

We would like to remind you that within a guild there are various functions you can perform. If you click on your character's names in @guild pages you can click on the special jobs you perform. That allows the leader of the guild to assign other tasks to you then earning and working. Various tasks generate different tokens for the guild. So far most only used teaching tokens and kitty money. However those are not the only possibilities. Most of the other tokens can be used in the same way kitty can be used in game. You can use it by @assisting like with the transfer of the kitty money.

When you consider on what you would like to spend the tokens your guild has for try to imagine what the tokens stand for. An example is the way people trade teaching tokens, they sell and buy it presuming those are teachers helping out each other, notes, documents, books and so on. @assist 'Please transfer #teacher tokens to Guild A from Guild B, payment rendered.

That is the general path to follow: @assist 'Transfer HOW MANY WHAT TYPE of tokens from WHERE to WHERE, for WHAT REASON.

While we shall not give an excessive list of tokens we are more then happy to provide further information should any be needed. I suggest to all guild leaders to creatively consider what the tokens can stand for and how that can be used in various situations.

And added by me:
    Remember, the plotters are literally standing by waiting for your plot ideas. So if you want to do something, feel free to ask them. They may ask what tokens you're willing to spend. You can also suggest things.
    So be creative. You may say "I've got some spy tokens. Can I spend 20 spy tokens, to try to find out who Noble X has been spending time with" etc. - depending what you ask for, staff may or may not be able to help. But - it doesn't hurt to ask. That's what we're there for! We'll support plots where we can, and spending tokens is a good way to show that your character or guild has influence in that area.
    Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

What about freelance characters? For example a spy would obviously have accumulated alot of spying tokens if he was on his own, as well as raiding tokens, guarding tokens, and so on.

Should lone-wolf players create a one-man guild to accumulate his own tokens, so he can take part in his characters abilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Timeislove View Post
      What about freelance characters? For example a spy would obviously have accumulated alot of spying tokens if he was on his own, as well as raiding tokens, guarding tokens, and so on.

Should lone-wolf players create a one-man guild to accumulate his own tokens, so he can take part in his characters abilities?
      Good question.

A lot of the "background" systems are handled via the guild system. Things like bidding on auctions, hiring NPC teachers, etc.

The game is designed, assuming that most characters will join a guild, or start their own. I'm making the assumption that even a lone wolf would be part of a guild (and just maybe standoffish) since... well... to get any Rp they need to be involved with others.

But yeah, to use tokens, you need a guild. So a lone-wolf that really doesn't want to be part of any other guild can create their own guild. Then they can earn, or trade for, tokens.

Since tokens represent the influence that the guild has with NPCs around the city... it's quite possible for a lone wolf character to happily play the game without them, and just assume that, without a guild supporting them, they don't have access to that sort of influence. Up to you.

Comment

So, I have lets say... 80 Guard Tokens,
        I want to hire myself an NPC to say keep Diseased people like Nikas the Leper (a PC) out of the archery range (My 'makeshift' base), I was talking to Sirazad about this and Sirazad suggested it might be possible for STP rather than tokens (Since Tokens represent the OOC background goings on rather than direct goings on Ingame);

However i'm god-arse poor when it comes to STP and i've only a measely 30 (Thats less than a premium account member makes per-month).

Thusly I'm curious if it wouldn't at all be possible to spend a combination of the Tokens/STP I have to hire an NPC door guard aligned to my guild, or use a combination of STP and any other token for that matter to produce a similar ingamely-noticable affect?
        Come visit: http://goldengate.niceboard.net/
        We discuss Cooking, Music, Animated Television and Video Games.

Comment

My answer was:

no, you can not get a guard npc at your door. You might have one if you pay stps. Never from tokens. Should there be a plot that we approve and makes it unavoidable to have a guard at your door we also might put one there.

The guard tokens represent your guild's people's bluebooked time. It is them standing there (unless we talk about mercenary tokens).

I hope this helps.

Comment

Very clear, thanks for that! :3

Furthermore; seeing as that the tokens show what my PC and my guildmate's PC have been doing, can 'Working' tokens be used for procuding an item that my PC would otherwise be capable of making?

E.g. Dio is a scholar, specifically one who is intrested in the arcane, can he spend his time authoring a book about Magical Lore.

Or, E.g. Bob Marley is a master smith and he's just got a order for 20 Copper Swords (Which would IC be a boring repedative task for anyone), he has all the ingame materials needed for producing such and the @skills needed, can he use his Working tokens to have the swords made?

Comment

Sirazad is right.
              At this point in time, our NPCs aren't smart enough to be able to run around unsupervised, and actually do useful things for PCs, or know who to keep in or out.

Which means that the tokens can only be used for bluebooked things that the plotters can take into account. They can't be used for getting an item directly in the game.

That may change in the future, but with our current game technology, alas, that's the way it is.

Which means it's pretty much impossible to, say, keep Nikas out of the archery range (since the plotters can't watch him all the time)

But the guards could be used for bluebooked "influence" in things like guarding your boarding house room. Then if someone else wants to spend, say, spy tokens to break into your room and have a look around, they may be surprised by your guards, and get caught. But that wouldn't mean there's a physical guard NPC standing by the door. Not with current code.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
                Very clear, thanks for that! :3

Furthermore; seeing as that the tokens show what my PC and my guildmate's PC have been doing, can 'Working' tokens be used for procuding an item that my PC would otherwise be capable of making?
                In general, "Working" tokens can be used in place of other token types.

E.g. Dio is a scholar, specifically one who is intrested in the arcane, can he spend his time authoring a book about Magical Lore.
                If you write the book, we can put it into the game, no tokens needed.
                If you do a significant effort, we can even reward you with some storypoints.

Or, E.g. Bob Marley is a master smith and he's just got a order for 20 Copper Swords (Which would IC be a boring repedative task for anyone), he has all the ingame materials needed for producing such and the @skills needed, can he use his Working tokens to have the swords made?
                Unfortunately not. In this situation, I'd encourage him to take on apprentices, and have them help with the bulk of the task.

What he could use the tokens for would be... say there's a plot about a sword stuck in a stone, that nobody can pull out... Bob Marley the master smith may spend his working tokens to represent his influence and the experience of his guild in smithing, and ask staff if they can give him some background information about where the sword comes from, how it was made, or anything particularly unusual about the design of the sword.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
                  we can even reward you with some storypoints.
                  o,o Oooh....

Ok, M'kay next question.
                  I've noticed lately that allot of shipments around are getting hijacked by pirates, so can I use my guard tokens to example try and secure safe-passage for shipments.

Or,
                  I've taken note of the same problems and figured that the other guilds will be looking to their defenses on the waters, can I use Soldier or Mercinary tokens to attempt to hijack an incoming Caravan?

Comment

o,o Oooh....

Ok, M'kay next question.
                    I've noticed lately that allot of shipments around are getting hijacked by pirates, so can I use my guard tokens to example try and secure safe-passage for shipments.
                    Yes. There's a reason this topic came up.

Or,
                    I've taken note of the same problems and figured that the other guilds will be looking to their defenses on the waters, can I use Soldier or Mercinary tokens to attempt to hijack an incoming Caravan?
                    Perhaps. @assist and talk to the plotters
                    Woah, TonyD's like Roadstrom on crack. - Andrew's Ghost

I mean, how hilarious isn't the thought of a guard who gets off on animalistic behavior? - Kalle

Comment

Originally posted by TonyD View Post
                      Perhaps. @assist and talk to the plotters
                      The main point by asking here is to define publicly wether if the idea is infact valid 'generally', and the needs of such if it is allowed, wether if I intend to do such ingame isn't really the point, it's more a case of bringing up questions publicly and getting them answered by someone in the know (Or 'in power' in this case. :P).

Comment

o,o Oooh....

Ok, M'kay next question.

Or,
                        Yes and cheers. That is exactly what I want. People coming up with ideas and presenting them to us. Yes, that is a possible solution to the pirates, they attack ships? Let us defend the ships.

There are of course tonnes of solutions, all vary in reactions we will give to them IG, as all have a different effect. Also the amount of tokens you offer determines some of the effect.

Of course offering 10 teacher tokens to fight the giant that comes into town to have you clean his boots might only inform you that giants generally are big and don't shine their shoes. 100 will tell you that you can find shoe polishing material by fishing the black shark that came to the bay then you can get fishers to catch it for you and a ship that will help to guide it into the fisher's net and fighters to kill it for you and tailors to hide it then you can go and shine the giant's shoe.

I don't want to limit you with ideas, as we can not think on everything. We can not have a full list of what is possible to be done. You might come up with something us, plotters did not think on at all and is still a great idea and a wonderful chance to include others and spice things up. That is why we don't give an explicit list of what to use tokens for.

Comment

Hrm, how about you've got a guild contract, you've been paying for the contract all well and good and it's come to the final delivery, except you've decided that your going to be a git and you don't like them anymore (Mabye they're pirates, or smell) so your going to kill them and take their stuff with your Soldier/Mercinary/Assassin tokens, can this too be done?

Comment

I generally advice not to focus so much on items. We are not very fond of just giving more and more items into the game, as it is taking away RP from those who can make items. We would like to encourage interaction amongst PCs. Tokens don't serve to limit PC interaction at all. So please keep that in mind when reaching to tokens as well.

I certain think guards and mercenaries will not be likely to kill an honest merchant just like that. We do plan to use assassin tokens (a note, assassin tokens and spy tokens are the same, so setting people to spy will generate assassin tokens) to possibly kill NPCs, yes. But be warned, every single action has a reaction. So to use assassin tokens to kill the Don might not be the easiest to accomplish, and might end up in your char being permadeath. Of course if you approach the plotters to eg kill the Don we might talk in detail with you how that is possible at all and what risks you are facing.

Comment

The thing about being co-erced forced into joining a guild to enjoy the finer points of the game is a bit restrictive.

Say i have a spy. In order to produce tokens to use his talents, which are represented by the training in his career, he needs to be in a guild. If hes in someone elses guild, likely someone else gets to choose what those tokens are used for. So if i want my guy to spy on Noble-X to find out what evil things hes doing and use it against him... I am forced to ask permission from others to use the tokens that i produced, thus exposing what my plans are.

And the exposing of ones own plans are not something a spy does. Its unheard of, and if it is heard of , results in a dead spy somewhere down the line, so to keep some premise of believability... He wouldnt go asking anyone for permission to observe a secret meeting without anyones knowledge.

And then sell that information to the highest bidder. The great thing of being a solo-artist.

I do want to make it clear that i understand the desire to push people into guilds to encourage player-to-player interaction. But those unexpected variables are important too. The guy who holds no affiliation is that chaos factor, no one knows what he might do or come up with to change the situation.

Otherwise, its pretty stagnant and flat, This house against that house, depending on personal vendettas or cliche political arguements. The only unexpected excitement comes from when someone turns traitor to their house to help another house, and then that person is labeled a traitor.. and your in game career is pretty much over. Rowf is a good example of that, he turned traitor to his old house, and his new one he wasnt trusted, and his old one actively sought his characters stagnation. so thats not very fun either.

The answer comes down to lonewolves. Alot of possibilities in someone with no affiliation so im thinking that there might be a way to allow persons to accumulate tokens on their own, that they might use, ones they can get using their own abilities. And if they do swear to a house, what they do can transfer into the house. Maybe producing at a half-rate? A half-rate token accumulation for Characters out of a guild/house allows them to participate in the games higher functions, but still gives an encouragement to join a guild or house since that seems to be the priority.

Comment

Working...
                              X