Announcement

Collapse
1 of 5 < >

Forums Reversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

So, the forums are back, but we had a six-day reversion.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
2 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

The cloud server that hosts the main Skotos web site and the forums experienced a hardware failure on Saturday morning that unfortunately led to severe database corruption. Several attempts to restore it failed.

This led us to our backups, but the timing was a bit unfortunate. Since the failure occurred on a weekend morning, we didn't see it until after a new backup occurred, which contained the corrupted data, and which removed our previous daily backup. This forced us to our weekly backup, which was unfortunately at the end of its time: six days old.

This should not have affects on the rest of the site, since the majority of our data is saved in our main-user-database or our games, all on remote machines.
3 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

4 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

5 of 5 < >

Forums REversion

See more
See less

Rank and Story points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank and Story points

Alrighty then! Since I've a bit of experience in this and such I thought I'd bring this up.

Now, I never bought rank for Basanti and she earned hers IG. This has gotten me confused on buying rank with OOC methods to already established characters., I totally understand buying a knight when it's a new character that hasn't left their room, but if an established character decides he wants to be a knight to a house he never got into, where does IC gain end and what you HAVE to buy in order to go up in rank begin?

Personally I don't think it's fair that anyone can buy IC rank by OOC means. I think you should actually RP to get IC rank. To me buying rank and class cheapens the over all experience of actually earning that rank. Furthermore, can you even gain rank anymore through IC methods without Story points being involved?

Also this brings up another point of Story point bought rank and demotion. Can you -really- demote someone if they bought they rank? Do we have to consider OOC factors when someone blatantly screws up or does something that they -should- be demoted for? And another worrisome point is, if you FINALLY become a Lord and you worked your butt off ICly to get to that point then out of the blue bob becomes a Duke of all thing shiny because he paid for it one day(not saying it will ever happen but it's just to give an example of the rank jumping) then it belittles the point of the IC work. What's the point of accomplishing anything IC if you're not going to gain the proper rank for those actions and have to pay to ever get anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dove View Post
      Now, I never bought rank for Basanti and she earned hers IG. This has gotten me confused on buying rank with OOC methods to already established characters.
      Well let's see if we can clear up any confusions!

I totally understand buying a knight when it's a new character that hasn't left their room,
      Yup. New characters, that haven't yet entered the game, can start at higher rank, for a STP cost. There are also other restrictions, such as the race of the character, etc.

but if an established character decides he wants to be a knight to a house he never got into,
      Established characters cannot pay storypoints to jump up in ranks. They have to earn the rank increase.
      In addition, when gaining certain ranks, established characters need to earn the rank in-game *and* pay a storypoint cost.

where does IC gain end and what you HAVE to buy in order to go up in rank begin?
      For an existing character, you go up in ranks by having a guild or house spend a promotion token on your character. That will increase your PC's rank by one.

If your character is in-game promoted to the rank of knight, baronet, baron, or viscount, there is a 50 to 100 storypoint cost at each rank gain, depending on your character's species.

More details are found here: http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=60939

Personally I don't think it's fair that anyone can buy IC rank by OOC means.
      Only starting characters can buy IC rank by OOC means. This is specifically because, within this society, most people didn't earn their rank. Most nobles were born into their status. It'd be good to have the game reflect that as much as possible.

Furthermore, can you even gain rank anymore through IC methods without Story points being involved?
      Yes. You can gain IC rank up to the level of armigerous gentry, before any storypoints need to be spent. If you follow the path of the church, you can gain rank above that level without needing to spend any storypoints (but you get "locked in" and are unable to gain non-church rank)

Also this brings up another point of Story point bought rank and demotion. Can you -really- demote someone if they bought they rank?
      Yes.

Do we have to consider OOC factors when someone blatantly screws up or does something that they -should- be demoted for?
      No, we don't. Paying storypoints allows a player to *start* playing the game at that rank. After that point, their rank could increase or decrease, just as any other player who had earned their way to the rank.
      So if a PC who earned the rank would be demoted, then a PC who started the game at that rank can be demoted.

And another worrisome point is, if you FINALLY become a Lord and you worked your butt off ICly to get to that point then out of the blue bob becomes a Duke of all thing shiny because he paid for it one day(not saying it will ever happen but it's just to give an example of the rank jumping) then it belittles the point of the IC work.
      Only if you are comparing yourself against Bob. Another player could think it's really cool, as it means there is a higher-ranked PC that they can schmooze up to and gain favor from. Or could see it as a challenge and someone to compete against. Remember - there are no winners or loosers. We're telling a story here.

What's the point of accomplishing anything IC if you're not going to gain the proper rank for those actions and have to pay to ever get anywhere.
      I don't understand.
      Firstly, "accomplishing anything IC" does not necessarily mean "gaining rank" - the game is set up so you can happily play as a commoner and not have any problems. Nobles have advantages. Then again, mercenaries have advantages, as do pickpockets. You need to choose what is important to you as a player, and to your character. The game itself has no score. It is not designed to be "who can get the highest rank" - that may be a goal for some characters, but certainly not all.

If you do gain a rank increase - then you gain the proper rank for it. I don't understand what you mean about "not going to gain the proper rank."

And you have to pay for the higher levels because I specifically want to discourage too many PCs moving from commoner status up into higher nobility. It's an interesting story, and perfectly valid - but shouldn't be the standard situation. I'd rather see characters who were born into nobility sitting in those spots. Hence the cost, to somewhat discourage promotion into nobility. The cost is relatively low, so that we do also allow the PCs who want to earn their way up.
      If you want the higher ranks without paying storypoints, then we have a storypoint-free option. Rise within the ranks of the Church of S'allumer.

One final note:
      There is another way for PCs to be promoted. Before we had a formalized promotion system (including titles, etc.) we allowed players to gain titles (and roleplay that they had the status) so that the game could have interesting characters and interactions. As such, there were characters who had backstories that they were children of nobility, etc. (and thus the should be gentry) and characters who were granted titles such as Bishop.
      As we formalized this (we now have a system, with promotions, etc. if you want to become gentry) we gave the characters who already had this in their backstory the option to purchase their rank at a reduced price. It wouldn't be fair to give them the advantage for free when others have to pay, but we didn't want to force players to change their characters unnecessarily.
      As such, some players were offered the choice of purchasing rank for their character at a reduced cost, or given the option to not purchase the rank, and not gain the benefits.

Hope that clarifies any questions!

Cheers,
      Az
      Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

It did, thanks!

Comment

Did I hear correctly that promotion tokens are no longer used?

if so, what is the new process for gaining the higher ranks?

Comment

@Shentino

Having earned a high rank (Countess) in-game, I can answer that one. It is the exact same as all other ranks, only, it demands higher amounts of favour points.

So, as far as I recall, earning the countess rank (or its equivalent in other hierarchies) requires 78 favor points if you do not have a patron. It requires only 38 favor points if you do have a patron.

The only difference between that and, say, the promotion to baronet, is the amount of favor needed. Earning baronet requires 26 points of favor if you have a patron and 54 if you do not.

The general principle is the same for all ranks. Generally speaking, you need a bit less than half the favor points, if you do have a patron.

You can also get promoted in another way, if someone decides to spend storypoints on your promotion. The higher the rank, the more expensive it the promotion, storypoints-wise.

Regarding promotion tokens: As far as I know, promotion tokens are useless now.

Comment

So now its just a straight climb up the ladder, no special procedures for storypoints, or being the correct race for the house, or any of that stuff?

Comment

This is a thread that is almost 8 years old. In order to understand how the current promotion and favor system works, you should concentrate on the most current thread about promotions and favor.

http://forum.skotos.net/showthread.php?t=108645

Comment

Working...
                X