Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Houses & Land Grants

Hey guys.

Recently we have created land grant certificates as proof of people's promotions and receipt of lands from Nobility. We've worked out a guideline that you can all now go by when promoting, or receiving a promotion, as per how much land you will be receiving at what rank.

To somewhat explain, please remember the following: gentry would have lands with the plots of many burghers and freedmen on it. Barons would own towns and surrounding lands with people of lesser rank residing within their territory. High ranking nobles would own huge sections of the country, and thus have more to give out.

For now, we will be using the following guidelines:
    At the rank of:

Freedman - You are granted 0 acres of land
    Yeoman - You are granted 2 acres of land
    Burgher - (previously known as Squire rank) - You are granted 4 acres of land
    Thane - (previously known as Reeve rank) - You are granted 8 acres of land
    Gentry - You are granted 16 acres of land
    Armigerous Gentry - You are granted 32 acres of land
    Knight/Lady - You are granted 64 acres of land
    Baronet/Baronetess - You are granted 128 acres of land
    Baron/Baroness - You are granted 256 acres of land

You can see the land count doubles from one rank to another. It continues to do so from the Baron rank onward as well, I just didn't take the time to do the math. On the land grants, it will read as an estimation of acres, so if you were promoting someone to gentry, it would probably say 'an estimation of 15 acres' (to give you a rough idea).

So, a Baron obviously owns land that contains many thanes, burghers, gentry etc. Someone that owns rocky, useless land far away from anywhere would probably own more; or, contrarily, someone that owns vineyards may own less land, etc. These are just estimations of average land counts for the listed ranks.
    Last edited by StoryGuide Nyx; 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM.
    Story Nyx

If you are Nobility and wanting to give out promotions complete with land grant certificates (meaning you are gifting a portion of your land), this is what I need:

1. First, you need to have the promotion tokens to promote the person within your House. You won't get a certificate just because you like someone, sorry :P.

2. I need the name of the individual gifting the lands. For example, if House Avoirdupois was promoting an individual for services rendered to Lady Gabrielle, she would be the one gifting the lands, and so the transfer would bear her name and signature.

3. I need the name of the person receiving the lands. Full names are best, but if you only have a first name, we'll make do.

4. I need the name of the lands being gifted. We leave this to the playerbase to make up. You may include in the name of the land any territories that surround it, especially if it is a small parcel, because it is likely to be bordered by something. The more detailed you are, the more detailed the certificate is.

5. I need the date (in ICO time), that the promotion occurs. If I don't have it, the certificate will bear the date that I build it.

You can put all this information on a scroll and send it to myself. I check the courier daily. For people who have been recently promoted who would like to have a certificate made for them, I will happily do so if the above information is provided by the Noble within your House who gifted the lands.
    Story Nyx

Comment

Ain't Nyx just too kind to us?
      Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

FYI, Az made the numbers up, and quite a bit of the explanation, so you should thank him.
        Story Nyx

Comment

Originally posted by StoryGuide Nyx View Post
          FYI, Az made the numbers up, and quite a bit of the explanation, so you should thank him.
          Yeah, but Nyx and Sirazad did the research to check how much land would be reasonable back in the day. And came up with amounts for each rank.

I just suggested the "double the amount each rank" because, y'know, I'm a programmer and think in powers of 2. Yeah, I'm weird.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
            I just suggested the "double the amount each rank" because, y'know, I'm a programmer and think in powers of 2. Yeah, I'm weird.
            No worries, your in good company.
            We can put up with it.

Now to go back to plotting eeeevil....
            Come visit: http://goldengate.niceboard.net/
            We discuss Cooking, Music, Animated Television and Video Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt View Post
              Now to go back to plotting eeeevil....
              eeeevil in powers of 2?

Comment

Do those that have previously been promoted get one?
                Master Fips Rose

Comment

Originally posted by fips View Post
                  do Those That Have Previously Been Promoted Get One?
                  Originally posted by storyguide Nyx View Post
                  for People Who Have Been Recently Promoted Who Would Like To Have A Certificate Made For Them, I Will Happily Do So If The Above Information Is Provided By The Noble Within Your House Who Gifted The Lands.
                  I don't know why the quoting whatsit is capitalizing every word...

Comment

It does say recently..

Comment

I'll make one for past promotions if you want one that bad. I'm kinda particular about having a date in there though, so either I need an estimate on the date of your promotion and the name of the Noble who promoted you, or as said above, I'll use the date of the day I build it, and we can assume your Noble just received the written document from a very very lazy house scribe and so just signed it.
                      Story Nyx

Comment

*retacked*
                        Story Nyx

Comment

This may be a silly question but, can these land holdings have any in game use, either directly by players or bluebooked in the background?

I had an interesting idea of one character's land holdings being loaned to another character's control temporarily, or to a house, and then being used to set up an abstract base of operations outside the city.

Comment

The landholdings are blue-booked and be used by players for story purposes, they are not actual physical locations in the game.
                            Eos
                            - Goddess of Dawn and opener of the gates of heaven
                            - her tears create the morning dew - she's the mother of all the stars
                            Dawn
                            - the new beginning and banishment of darkness and evil

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information