Announcement

Collapse

Skotos Forums Closing: September 30

The Skotos Forums are officially closing on September 30, 2020. They will go read-only on that date, and will be removed entirely sometime afterward.

We encourage the games that spun off of Skotos to create new discussion mediums of their own, and some have already done so. But the centralized discussions for Skotos will soon be a thing of the past (just as the centralized Skotos site is).

We've also posted a goodbye message to the community on our main page, which you can find here:
http://www.skotos.net/goodbye.php
See more
See less

A Call to Arms (or keyboards, rather)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Call to Arms (or keyboards, rather)

Alright, here goes nothing.

Those of you who know me know that I -hate- to be involved in OOC conflict, and nine times out of ten, I'd rather keep my mouth shut and just leave rather than get involved. But I guess that this is that tenth time, that oh-so-irregular occasion where I just can't shut up, stand by and do nothing.

I've been playing on Skotos for almost two years now, and on ICO for... one year, eight months and who-the-hell-knows-how-many days. I have made characters in CM, ICO, LP and LC. I'm far from being an old player; in fact, I know that to many of you I'm still considered a newbie. Despite this perilous position, I've decided to stand up and voice my thoughts anyway - thanks to a little nudge from a friend far wiser than I.

I will be blunt: our game is suffering. Day after day I log on, only to find myself disappointed. There are fewer active players than ever, and out of those who do remain, only a small number contribute and work towards solving this problem. Our population is now made up of those who prefer private scenes and TSing, idling in public and typing in lowercase and chatspeak, powerplaying and attacking for no reason - god knows there aren't any real consequences, anymore - to honest-to-goodness, entertaining roleplay.

With increasing regularity, I find myself avoiding characters - and the players who control them - because I am unable to deal with these problems. This is a game; it is meant to be fun. Being trapped in scenes that put me, and my character, in a position I do not enjoy is -not- fun. Dealing with players who have the maturity level of a ten year old - with the typing skills to match - and are interested only in random combat or unimaginative sex scenes is -not- fun. I do not wish to point fingers, but the majority of those responsible for this are the "old" characters, those who have been around forever and have the skills to get away with whatever they damn well please, at least from an IC standpoint. They can attack - and win against - the majority of those in the gameworld, making it impossible to stand against them. This forces me to take an OOC approach, something I am loathe to do.

Let me make myself clear, I do -not- support RP-blocking. Refusing to interact with someone punishes the player, not the character. But unfortunately, it is the players, and -not- the characters, who I have a problem with.

I am not saying that the entire population of ICO is this way. In fact, the biggest problem that most people suffer from is a lack of time, or a difference in time, causing them to be around infrequently and for barely an hour at best. This is unfortunate, and I feel for these players. I am lucky to have as much time for this game as I do. However, I believe that a lot of players -could- find the time; they simply do not bother. And I don't blame them. The game is, with each and every day that passes, becoming less and less fun. Few people bother to include others in their scenes anymore; even fewer take the time to create and develop plots that involve great numbers of people. The Houses are practically dead, the majority of their members inactive. Many guilds are in the same boat. The Church is, to the best of my knowledge, down to a single somewhat-active character - the Constabulary is even worse off. As a dedicated and well-known (from an OOC standpoint, that is) Lutaran character, I can say that we are also suffering. There simply are not enough people.

And this is because there is no incentive for them to return. I find myself begging and pleading with even my closest friends, trying to convince them to log on. And they all give me the same answer: "Find me something to actually -do-, and I will". I am doing the best I can, but I am only one person. I need -help-.

The other games are beginning to chase away those who cause these problems, who care only about TSing or leveling up skills or who otherwise interfere with or ruin the gaming experience of others. Unfortunately, those players are simply turning their attention to -our- game.

I realize many people will be offended by this rant, for that is what it is. However, I do not want you to think I am merely complaining. I am asking for help; for suggestions, for anything people can offer to help fix this problem, bring back all those sorely-missed characters, and make Ironclaw a more enjoyable experience for us -all-.

- Isabella, puppetmaster of Lia (among others)

P.S. If all you wish to do is flame me, please kindly do it via PM. That way, I can more easily ignore it. I'm looking for suggestions and aid, not insults and threats. Thank you.

P.P.S. Just to reiterate, this is a -discussion- thread. So, discuss.
    Lianette Cloudspinner (nee Ashebrook)

Since there's a new combat system for the works, here's something for the specs, Azrael: make the difference between low (but not non-existent) and maxed-out skills much smaller. It's just nonsensical that even a swordmaster could take on infinite amounts of less skilled but trained combatants without any risk or danger of losing (or even getting wounded). If every fight involving weapons is really dangerous for all parties, the nature of direct physical conflict would change quite a bit - and when physical conflict is undesirable and dangerous, players inevitably get more clever about it, which makes for more interesting RP. The certainty of victory does create some pretty boring antagonists, whose cooperative RP amounts to "I'll beat you or I'll beat you."

FWIW, though, ICO compares very favorably to the "next best thing", CM (which I've played very actively since 2002). ICO always seems to have twice the number of characters online, and as much as half of them tend to be in two adjacent public rooms (i.e. the commons), mostly interacting with each other and everyone else. Contrary to all expectations for a furry MUSH, ICO players seem to have a better understanding of the necessity of conflict (no conflict = no story = no RP), and seem to enjoy it more. In CM, all I ever see is mute people standing around; provoking any kind of conflict is absolutely impossible because no one has any opinions, any values, any convictions, or any allegiances. That's not true in ICO, and makes the game a heck of a lot more fun.

Comment

I don't think there's very much to flame about, but that could just be my opinion. I think it's a very valid point, and something to consider before it gets too bad (as it is in other games).

I haven't been playing again very long, and I've been fortunately lucky to find a good amount of players willing to play and be active, but similarly, I do find on occasion the players that are idle or afking every five minutes, or don't interact a whole lot ever (sometimes the character isn't very social either at the time which is fine, but when it's all the time it kind of limits RP), or seem more interested in romancing 5+ other characters simultaneously (which I'm sure can bring RP, but seeing the same romance drama over and over between the same characters is kinda dull).

I've also noticed a lot of discontent about some characters seemingly being able to take on anyone and everyone. I imagine it's just the impression, because I've seen several characters who are really good get beaten, but on a practical note, many characters are nearly "invulnerable" because they wear armor 24/7. Who actually wears almost full armor 24/7 -in a town-? I mean, sure there's suspension of disbelief, but it might even things out as far as scuffles and such go. I'm all for good brawls in town, but it's not really a brawl if the Hulk in almost full gothic plate (and fancy clothes?) trundles in (mid scorching heat summer or even freezing cold winter) and lays smack down on people, because he's incredibly hard to hit or damage due to the armor they have, that he probably isn't even wearing correctly. /pedant

I do find that while I enjoy playing, I don't have much time to play, it's not so much incentive as lack of time though, which is a good thing? The only thing I do have trouble with when I'm on is mostly is House involvement. I have two characters officially in Houses, but find there's not much to do in the case of one, and not many people who want to do things in the case of the other. Most of this particular characters interests are easy to proceed with (mostly) without a House though, but it'd be neat if there was more stuff to do in the House.

In regards to the Constabulary and religions, I definitely agree. I admit I do like the curiously lawless feel to ICO though, but that may be because it's a breath of fresh air. However, when there's pretty much only one active law guy, it does seem a bit unbalanced. In regards to religions, this character is -extremely- interested in learning about as much as she can, and was fortunate to run into Adriana via Fyros, but when it comes to learning about others, the game seems woefully short (practically non-exsistant from all she's been able to find). Though, on the religion front, with Lutarans and whatever other religions out there being scarce, it does lend to the "secretive" and "repressed" feel, but I'd rather it feel that way, than actually be just not there.

I do have a Church character too, but have had a hard time (both with availability and motivation) getting into them. Though, the whole religion bit (in general) seems like a really neat aspect of the game that isn't played up much.

I also see a lot of people in cloaks, as part of Houses, but it's rare they actually seem House oriented, if that makes any kind of sense. I mean, I see the cloaks, but they don't seem to represent the House or bicker with other Houses much. I -do- see some disagreements, which is wicked cool when they happen, but it's pretty sedate most of the time. Like, stuff happens, but it doesn't seem to play much political role, which is half the fun of House affiliation.

I've apparently worn my brain out for the moment, but those are just some thoughts about what could use some spicing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Byatis View Post
        Azrael: make the difference between low (but not non-existent) and maxed-out skills much smaller.
        Been there. Done that. Actually, players impressions of the difference between low and high fighters fluctuates - almost like a random dice roll.
        If they see a new arrival beat them, I get complaints that skills don't matter enough.
        If they see an old hand win a fight without being hurt, I get complaints that skills are overwhelming.

The truth is somewhere between the two. It *is* possible - with a lot of luck, for an entirely untrained fighter to win. It's just very unlikely. A fighter with a few lessons but far from the best does have a real chance of winning.

On average, a new PC who starts with a combat career has, maybe, a 1 in 8 chance of winning a fight against an established (but not "best in the game") fighter. After a week or so in the game they have maybe a 1 in 4 chance.

Originally posted by Byatis View Post
        It's just nonsensical that even a swordmaster could take on infinite amounts of less skilled but trained combatants without any risk or danger of losing (or even getting wounded).
        Well, it is high fantasy. So the combat system is set up so one good fighter *can* take on three or so opponents and hope to win.

But they certainly can't do so without any risk of loosing (or getting injured)

Originally posted by Aunavina View Post
        I imagine it's just the impression, because I've seen several characters who are really good get beaten, but on a practical note, many characters are nearly "invulnerable" because they wear armor 24/7. Who actually wears almost full armor 24/7 -in a town-?
        This is very true.

Like, stuff happens, but it doesn't seem to play much political role, which is half the fun of House affiliation.
        I don't want to give away too much IC information but... go out and play politics. Plotters are standing by to support it.

There are IG channels. One possible group... let's give them a code name... say "the Cuild Gouncil" has already had a meeting about PCs wearing too much unnecessary armor, and have passed new (suggested) laws through to the Don and constabulary. - That was entirely, 100%, player-run (all staff did was say "Hmm, reasonable new laws. OK, they're passed.")

Whether they're being enforce in the game... well, that's another matter. Maybe the political people are waiting to spring a surprise Or maybe it's happened, and we just haven't heard about it.

My point with this is that a lot of players think there's nothing to do, when they just aren't being proactive about finding ways to get involved, and use the politics to change the game in a way they like. Someone that wears a lot of armor is getting in your PCs face? Get in their face. Or go behind their back and approach your allies about what to do with them.
        Mea squints at you, "For a magical nudist he sure is carrying lots of pie."

Comment

Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
          My point with this is that a lot of players think there's nothing to do, when they just aren't being proactive about finding ways to get involved, and use the politics to change the game in a way they like.
          Quoted for absolute truth.

You HAVE to be proactive in games like this, and doubly so in this particular game. ICO is set up so that PCs can do anything they want (within reason... as long as they can actually do it IC). Seriously. The staff has it so that players can tell the stories of their characters without having to worry about VPs and NPCs overshadowing them.

That said, you have to actually tell your story! Go out there! Do stuff! Get involved! Be proactive! Don't just sit there in the commons and complain that nothing ever happens and there isn't anything to do in the game. Think of something to do and DO IT!

And I'm using the plural non-targeted form of "you", meaning anyone and everyone reading this, not any specific people.
          OOC -- Doctor Hush says, "he eats blackholes"

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post

I will be blunt: our game is suffering. Day after day I log on, only to find myself disappointed. There are fewer active players than ever, and out of those who do remain, only a small number contribute and work towards solving this problem. Our population is now made up of those who prefer private scenes and TSing, idling in public and typing in lowercase and chatspeak, powerplaying and attacking for no reason - god knows there aren't any real consequences, anymore - to honest-to-goodness, entertaining roleplay.
            I don't think it's particularly fair to say that's all that people are doing. Maybe you aren't finding people, but that doesn't mean they're in a private room, doing the deed, and obviously, it doesn't mean they aren't, but I think that's a pretty negative generalization. Of course, during the day is going to be much slower because of work. And the economy sucks, so a lot of people are getting more than one job, or working over time to survive, but, more often than not, in the evenings, there are a large group of people on (a lot of the time 30+), and a rather large amount happen to be in the commons or somewhere findable if you wander around looking or @hotspot. >_> sometimes @hotspot leads to people gathering in one random spot, but at least you're getting RP and that shows people want to find where everyone is to get active in the game.

Private scenes... This kind of gets a bit tricky. I think private scenes depend on the characters and their relationship. Now, I don't mean just romance, but if so-and-so and dumb-dumb are moseying around, alone together and end up at the docks or whatever, the scene may very well be productive. Say, so-and-so did something to dumb-dumb that hurt dumb-dumb emotionally, or even physically, maybe this particular scene is their falling-action or their resolution that is very significant to their character's story and lives. But then again, it could be something else entirely. You never know (which is my point, you don't know what they're doing or how/if it's significant. It's could like a small personal character-plot/mission for some sort of development.)

The attacking I think is more people trying to spark some sort of conflict or something up, to get the game rolling, either out of boredom, or it could be part of a plot, you never know.

I'm on during the day, and I'll admit it's a slow time, and that's not to say us day-goers aren't trying to get things going, but usually there's that time of day when things pick up and get rolling, and unfortunately, not everyone can log in at that time or at a time where there's interesting RP going down, just because of where they live or a schedule they have to abide by.

:P If I've misunderstood something, correct me!

I also see a lot of people in cloaks, as part of Houses, but it's rare they actually seem House oriented, if that makes any kind of sense. I mean, I see the cloaks, but they don't seem to represent the House or bicker with other Houses much. I -do- see some disagreements, which is wicked cool when they happen, but it's pretty sedate most of the time. Like, stuff happens, but it doesn't seem to play much political role, which is half the fun of House affiliation.
            I agree. I admit, I don't have any House characters (yet), but I do intend on trying to push for more representation and bickering, hopefully in a fun way, so that it might inspire other House members to go out there, bitch productively and have fun doing it I see Brenner doing it a lot, and I particularly like how he does it, because it's very Avo-ish, and he usually does hint it in such a way where an opposing House char may want to eye him up-and-down and respond in a less appreciative manner. And, from my view, it's fun in a lot of ways without being upsetting to a player.

I generally understand and agree to an extent with the rest of the post, but I think people are doing what they can, and maybe the ones who don't seem like they are doing anything, don't -know- what to do to help the game.

And it would be nice if people could maybe stop idling in public areas. I know sometimes I afk, and end up being gone an hour or more, but it's not intentional. If you know there's a chance you're not coming back, or you know you're going to be gone two hours+, go to your char's private room, or if you're in the commons and you have to go -now-, maybe go into the alley southeast of the west commons, or the church or somewhere close? or better, use the quit command, and poof ^_^ You're gone! Obviously, there are times and situations where RL is more important than moving a bit away from the RP.

Aaaandd...
            Originally posted by SHAzrael View Post
            My point with this is that a lot of players think there's nothing to do, when they just aren't being proactive about finding ways to get involved, and use the politics to change the game in a way they like.
            :P In short, Az hit the nail on the head again.
            Doctor Temperance E. Zeiss

Comment

A little addition from plotter side to the question of nothing to do (not specifically to the writes in this thread but to the general population of ICO)

Be proactive. There are plot hooks out there, if they get ignored, they remain nothing but plot hooks. And if you are proactive and present ideas, we take them up and further further them. A good past example is the chapel desacration which was entirely based on player initiative. Even now player initiated plots run. Not one or two.

To give a little insight:
              - if players work toward a goal and ask for plotter help to make it interesting for a group of people, then I don't need to code items. I solve it with being present.
              - if it is a plot that drags people in, making it inevitable, one that crawls into your life no matter what you do? That is coding heavy. Because that needs to work even if I am not online, it needs to be involving to everyone and possibly avoiding annoyance. The only reason we didn't release those is that we code and build them as we talk.

There are hooks out there, threads of plots that hang around, you just need to pull them. As soon as any of them is pulled the pre-prepared responses will step into effect. Even better, make your own hook! And without wanting to give out too much info, the way people IG reacted to the IG problem of people walking around in steal cans shows that you can solve everything in game. In case you need a bit of help, @assist and we shall help you.

Comment

I know for a fact the Rinaldi aren't dead and they are thriving more than they have in a long time. The Rinaldi family has 15 people on their active member list. And with Sir Brumble and his men and Meepers and her folks.. its closer to twenty. Not everyone can stay on a long long time and always be at meetings and always be there to RP. Now I will say a lot of times you have to make your own RP and not just sit there and wait for it to happen. I offered a gigantic tournament for all classes of weaponry from ranged to melee.. and you know what excuses I got? I am not good enough to beat them so why waste my time. Such and such is going to be there so I am not going to be there. What people don't know is I had prizes ready and waiting for different reasons. Like most exciting match and something for the person that got their butt kicked the worst. But instead of the sixteen I expected to show.. 6 decided to compete. I even made a round later in the day for other people and only one person showed to it.

Right now the pirates are in full swing. Ask Sirazad how to get in on the action and how to rp with the pirates. You don't even have to fight against them. You can be a mole for them. There are dozens of things to do if you put your mind to it. There are people right now conspiring with the pirates to try and overthrow the Rinaldi. And we're scrambling trying to get our stuff together before that happens. I bring matteo out on a daily basis and do my best to make sure I greet every new player and try to get them a few things to make their own so they aren't just lost in the city. Sure there are a few people Matteo despises and doesn't want to talk to you, but I do RP with you if you come to him with a bad attitude.

I think the changes that need to be made are that people need to be proactive, now more than ever. If your bored and want something new @Idea it and see if they can work it in. Pirates are around only because the people wanted it. Make a forum post for your idea and get people to post about it and if its popular im sure it'll be coming around sooner or later.

Anyway.. I think there are plenty of good rpers in this game and there is plenty to do. Yeah sometimes we're stuck sitting in the commons. This world isn't big enough to be able to go explore and fight mobs on your own time and it definitely wasn't built for that. I also plan to do some stuff that will involve every single commoner that should make them angry, happy .. or something. But we'll see how they react! Until then.. cya later
                Ser Kobe
                Junior Equerry to Lord Vestio
                Battler Teacher
                Mummer for the Unity of the Arts

Linguistics Project Assembly Teacher

Comment

I had trouble deciding if this was a flame or not, and if I should bother posting on this topic or not.

However, I think it's important that the posters in a thread like this participate in a way that is productive, and not flame-worthy. No one should be narrowing down groups as the "problem children" and condemning them. If your intention was to motivate RP, this is extremely counter-productive, and insultingly ignorant.

Past that, though, I think there is much more RP in the game than you might think. Not everyone wants to sit around in the commons, and people in passing may have issues with stopping and starting a conversation. If you are looking for RP, go to where people are known to congregate, and you will find it. Few people would exclude you or idle through RP that you bring to them.

Comment

Ok yes I do see one of the problems we do have over in ICO is the afk issue. I am sooooo guilty of this. But there is a reason. I do have a bad case of attention deficit disorder or if you like ADD. I have a hard time focusing on one thing at a time. Now this is one of the things I do like about CM they have the page system. This allows me to put this system on the alert part on Foxfire or Zellery window and people see I have drifted then they just page me and I hear this and come back to focus. I do not have that in ICO so it is a problem for me. I have requested time and time again that they make the page system available over in ICO so that I can solve this problem…but every time I put the idea in they come back with, well, basically it isn’t going to happen.

I am just wondering if this might not help a lot of the Afk issues. Because most of the time players are merely playing two different games or their playing a character in another window. Maybe if we had the page system or maybe even some sort of alert set up that people could poke them where they could hear it…more of these issues might just fade. I mean it doesn’t have to be an actual paging system but maybe something like on Yahoo where you can press an alert for someone and it gives a “Ding” or some other type nose to indicate to that person someone wants them on that window. It might just solve the issue to some extent or at the very least make it a bit better. Just a thought.

As far as there not being anything to do in the game...I agree this is not true. If you make the effort to find something to do and get in there and make it happen you will find there will always be something to do. There are slow nights and days but there is usually always something to do. I know that I can not wait till the adventure areas are made available. One to give characters some place else to go to make a few extra dollars and also just some place to have a bit of fun when things are slow.
                    Dame Tara
                    di Draco Rinaldi (Meepers)

Love has no past no future. It is here in the present so you must savor each and ever moment of it before it slips away.

Comment

Originally Posted by Aunavina View Post
                      I imagine it's just the impression, because I've seen several characters who are really good get beaten, but on a practical note, many characters are nearly "invulnerable" because they wear armor 24/7. Who actually wears almost full armor 24/7 -in a town-?
                      There were these guys called roman leigionaires, very military type kinda people, They always wore some kinda bronze armor, yes, even in rome. Ya never know when some moron might try to pick a fight with you, try to rob someone, or otherwise interrupt the peace and security of the town.

And truthfully, any armor-trained combat character that -doesnt- wear armor, especially in docktown, deserves to get randomly killed by a fame hunting cuthroat, or beat down and mugged by a desperate thief. Shoulda came to town protected.

As for the original post, ive quit and come back so many times because of the very things said, i could -not agree more-. I used to be a TS'er, quite regularly in CM. It was after i left CM, then came to ICO, that i swore i'd never do it anymore. thats my personal choice, for a few simple reasons:

when you are in your room sex texting another "character" You arent out in the world getting involved with whats happening that actually matters. Being creative with the parser and free emoting a sexual scenario doesnt further any plots. Yeah, it can be fun, but theres no story to be told doing that. Time spent roleplaying sex, the end result is "You had sex with this character." Big deal? I cant justify spending that much time roleplaying every juicy sensual detail, except to one end, trying to entertain the other player in some way and impress them with my sexual creativity.

Which is fine for some people, but not for me. Im a married man, and i have a fantastic outlet for that creativity. I dont need anyone else seeing what my creativity can do in that regard. Which is why with any character i play, sex is a bluebooked thing, whisk them away to their room and ooh lala fade to black whatever, and then play a different character to see whats really happening in the world. The upward result of that is that i get to see more of the story of the game, meeting new people, helping or hurting people, and getting into the intrigue and conflict of the game, the good stuff. And when i come across players that wont RP with me because i wont TS, I limit the involvement i have with them because now i know, they are after one thing in the game, and thats not something i will ever provide them... and sadly, thats quite alot of people.

The romances of he said she said and he screwed she screwed, i try to leave to the day time soap operas.

I try to get involved with whats going on in anything that occurs in the game my characters hear about, Not a full dedication, my Lord character might just make some random comment about it, or offer advice, and my streetwise one might try to actually change the outcome, depending on what it is.

I also try to include others to join the RP. I'll say things with my noble in public places around alot of people to try and inspire them to join in somehow. I usually dont get to see the results but someone might take what they hear and further a story somewhere else down the line. My noble isnt stupid, he wouldnt give away sensitive information normally, but i have to make some exception just to let other players in on whats going on. Its too easy to keep secrets, and its extremely HARD to find out who has the secrets to learn. It shouldnt be that way. rumors and gossip should be as common as skinks so that people do have SOMETHING to do besides TS until their fingertips get blisters.

Hopefully when the adventure areas open up someday, and there can be goals and missions to them, or resource gathering for some careers, it'll be alot more entertaining for people to have something to do. Ive been waiting for years now on those adventure areas. For me, that would be a priority of this game.

The manors, while very cool, wont add much to the game except another place for people to go hide from everyone else.

I <3 this more than anything ive ever seen.

Lia points her right index finger accusingly at you, "You're a.... a... weird person who likes to randomly touch people!"

Comment

I don't know about AHs personally. I think they are as much threat to RP as much gain they represent. Just look at how the swamps were used... taking people out of the town dividing up the RP population and halving the options on who to Rp with, leaving BOTH sides complaining about the nothing to do.

I don't think AH will solve the issues you feel are to be raised whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulke View Post
                          There were these guys called roman leigionaires, very military type kinda people, They always wore some kinda bronze armor, yes, even in rome. Ya never know when some moron might try to pick a fight with you, try to rob someone, or otherwise interrupt the peace and security of the town.
                          I don't think they wore it all the time.

However, those people IG who 'wear it all the time" probably don't. Kay wears his armor "all the time," as was said. He doesn't wear it in his room, in the baths. He takes it off for numerous other things.

I find it kind of sad that some people take it off, put it in a sack, and then get it all out and wear it in one command before each fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FLAEIB View Post
                            I offered a gigantic tournament for all classes of weaponry from ranged to melee.. and you know what excuses I got? I am not good enough to beat them so why waste my time. Such and such is going to be there so I am not going to be there. What people don't know is I had prizes ready and waiting for different reasons. Like most exciting match and something for the person that got their butt kicked the worst. But instead of the sixteen I expected to show.. 6 decided to compete. I even made a round later in the day for other people and only one person showed to it.
                            I couldn't make it to the tournament, but even though I couldn't be there I still got to have some RP about it. And got to create some RP for others.

Faile sent out slaves to talk to Matteo about the tournament, then got to talk to him herself about it. It gave me a chance to do a little of the usual Faile RP, some bullying, some glaring, some alliance making, and learning about as well as creating some politics.

Matteo was good enough to go along with the RP, playing that he needed what Faile had. Faile, in turn, reduced what she was asking for as well - but the end result was they got to play a bit of guild/house politics using the tournament as an excuse.

So even though I couldn't make it, and even though Faile wasn't really involved at all - I made her get involved. And hopefully in a way that will lead to future RP.

I think it's not easy to do that. You need a character who has multiple IC goals so when something happens you can come up with a reason why your character would be involved, and what your character thinks they could gain.

You also need to be willing to OOC compromise on those goals. Faile wanted something from Matteo that she didn't get outright, but what I OOC wanted was the roleplay. Now, depending if Faile gets what she wants or not, both possibilities will give me more RP, and change her relationship with Matteo and the Rinaldi.

It's not always easy, since I can't RP very often. But there are players who will still involve Faile in what's happening, drop hints and stuff. Which means Faile can drop hints or get involved at the edges of other plots like this.

If other players want to get more involved in plots and politics, talk to Faile or the slaves. You can use them to do your work (like how Faile sent a slave to talk to Matteo instead of doing it herself. It meant there could be RP for two players, rather than just a scroll. They could negotiate, get offended, stuff like that) - and it means there are more politics. That slave now knows what was happening between Faile and Matteo, which means there are opportunities for others to find out if they care. If others do find out, that just makes more roleplay for us.

It also means instead of just having RP with Matteo, I had RP with the slave as well, both sending and hearing about what happened. I also got to have Faile talk to the slave in front of a witness while trying not to give away too many details. So I got three times as many scenes out of this tournament. A tournament I couldn't even attend! And all because I made an excuse about why my character would care, and thought about what my character would be trying to gain.

Comment

Great. Now I feel so unbelievably guilty for my general downward spiral and untimely disappearance during the last two months...

I really do sympathize with the concerns of Lianette's player on a lot of her points, with the issue of the seemingly-unbeatable characters and the generally complete lack of the law-and-order you would expect in the city. I was under the impression from the fluff that in Triskellian, being that it is the capital and center of Rinaldi power, the Constabulary were the effectively standing army, as well as the best-equipped force in the world. Now I know this will draw cries of us players having to be proactive about things and how this is a consent-driven game, but I think that an excellent idea would be that in the event that one of the tank-characters starts acting up in public and refuses to comply with the orders of the Constable, said Deputy could call in the aid of perhaps a handful of NPC reinforcements to help calm the situation. This wouldn't always be the case with every request: Deputies could be tied up elsewhere, the courier might get lost, ect, and there would be an in-game consequence for "calling brundient" or such. But I think that there really should be something of the sort, because on occasion, things just get ridiculously out-of-hand.

Yeah, being a slave sucks. They're nothing but property and less than dirt and I know that Marcel deserves -most- of what he gets for his rather loose tongue. But even in Imperial Rome, you didn't have free will to just smack around slaves: if they were somebody's property, you'd likely get a beating for it. As much as I knew what I was getting myself into, I'm rather upset by the number of "You're a slave: drop everything you're doing and leave or I'll kill you and not suffer any penalties hahahaha" responses my presence elicts from people. (And that was an eerily-acurate paraphrasing of more than a few scenes) I didn't make Marcel to be a universally-liked character, but some of you players need to realize that we didn't make a slave because we're masochists who enjoy occasionally being totally shoved out of scenes or randomly assaulted for trivial reasons.

An insult is not wordless consent for attempting to kill someone. This is a little bit of a personal rant about a player who knows who they are, but just because a character, who in-game has no social standing and whose word is worth nothing, insults your admittedly-promiscuious lover, you don't stab them in the heart in a high-traffic area (when they are incapable of fighting back at all) and they get angry OOCly at the player whne they refuse to consent to a kill. If they had hacked said loved-one apart and mailed you the parts (which for the record, Tibbs did not: was supposed to be in one piece), then maybe it would be understandable. But you have to look at things from a historic standpoint: in-theory at least, the characters know the penalties for things like murder are high, repeat offences end in an agonizingly painful death (slow hanging is so much fun), even if this it not the case in-game. So please, try to keep violent, or at least armed violence to a minimum, or have a markedly better motivation for it.

That said, I'm all for violence in inter-House or guild politics: historically, at about this time-period, the use of mercenaries or other forces to back up political influence was common, and even if it's technically illegal in Triskellion, sending in a few ununiformed guards or mercenaries to rough up, perhaps even kill miscreants, political enemies, maybe even rival House or guild members seems perfectly reasonable. Not that other types of politics should be pushed to the wayside, but excercising a bit of well-directed and more importantly, -justifiable- force seems alright by me.

Well, I may try to hit some other points at a later time, but I'm -violently- ill at the moment and caught in a nigh-comically untennable position in my life, hence the sudden absence from the game. Hope to be back soon: more likely than not it'll be one-to-three more weeks until things have settled down enough. But at least I'll know what to do better when I come back!

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information